The long journey of the WhiteFox

shreebles
Finally 60%

22 Dec 2015, 15:00

This is really something special, and I'm on the fence.

But first, three questions.
1. Do I get ALL the keycaps pictured or just those for my layout? (basically what I'm asking is, do I get a universal ISO/ANSI PBT set if I don't like the keyboard in the end).

2. Why is there a 1.25u AltGr key when ISO ralt is 1u? Since apparently there is no support for 1.25u modifiers on the right if you choose ISO. EDIT: Even though it is brutal, I'm thinking one might cut the dividers in between since the PCB should support any combination of modifiers. But only if....

3. are the Cherry switches PCB mount?

kristofv

22 Dec 2015, 15:44

shreebles wrote: This is really something special, and I'm on the fence.

1. Do I get ALL the keycaps pictured or just those for my layout? (basically what I'm asking is, do I get a universal ISO/ANSI PBT set if I don't like the keyboard in the end).
In the FAQ (http://matt3o.com/whitefox-faq/) there's this:
Do I get the keycaps just for my layout or for all?

You get all the keycaps whatever layout you picked, assembled or not.

shreebles
Finally 60%

22 Dec 2015, 16:09

Thank you, and sorry, I swear I read the entire FAQ but somehow that sentence slipped my mind :roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Dec 2015, 17:10

kristofv wrote: nice FAQ, cleared some things up for me actually!
\o/
shreebles wrote: This is really something special, and I'm on the fence.

2. Why is there a 1.25u AltGr key when ISO ralt is 1u? Since apparently there is no support for 1.25u modifiers on the right if you choose ISO. EDIT: Even though it is brutal, I'm thinking one might cut the dividers in between since the PCB should support any combination of modifiers. But only if....

3. are the Cherry switches PCB mount?
1. already answered :)

2. long story short, the key is not needed but included anyway

3. They should be plate mounted, but you might end up with some PCB mounted based on availability

SL89

22 Dec 2015, 17:37

>We are even in talk for a wood case.

WHITE ELF BOARD

TuxKey
LLAP

23 Dec 2015, 00:19

Is input club accepting any suggestions regarding the k-type or is it already a done deal.
Last year I had the chance to try out a couple of nice keyboards and I kept thinking why oh why doesn't someone combine all the positives in to one awesome build. Perhaps the k-type is the answer??

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2015, 08:42

samsam wrote: Is input club accepting any suggestions regarding the k-type or is it already a done deal.
Last year I had the chance to try out a couple of nice keyboards and I kept thinking why oh why doesn't someone combine all the positives in to one awesome build. Perhaps the k-type is the answer??
contact haata directly, I'm sure he is open to suggestions.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2015, 10:15

Zealio switches might (I said *might*) be available again tomorrow. Stay tuned and happy foxy Christmas!

kristofv

25 Dec 2015, 11:49

matt3o wrote: Zealio switches might (I said *might*) be available again tomorrow. Stay tuned and happy foxy Christmas!
damn, missed it! Merry Christmas to you regardless :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Dec 2015, 17:53

Last few hours left!

Thanks everybody! When the drop started I told MD we would have sold 200, they estimated 500 but we will probably end close to 1300!

Now to making some tutorials!

romevi

28 Dec 2015, 03:42

matt3o wrote:Last few hours left!

Thanks everybody! When the drop started I told MD we would have sold 200, they estimated 500 but we will probably end close to 1300!

Now to making some tutorials!
Absolutely fantastic. Congratulations, matt3o!

I'm too poor to join this time around. Do you foresee another drop in 2016?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2015, 07:40

Not sure if there will be more. The new round should be substantially different from this one. Realistically I'd say Q3 2016 (and you get it by Christmas).

kristofv

28 Dec 2015, 12:54

Congratulations matt3o! I hope to hold it in my hands very soon :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2015, 15:01

thanks!

now to the production!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2015, 00:03

okay I've got an heads-up from MD, it seems that many who changed their orders need to re-authorize the paypal transaction. Most are orders from people who changed their orders from gateron to zealio.

so if you don't want to risk losing your whitefox, you have just 8 hours to sort the paypal thing, you should have received an email with all the info otherwise contact MD right away!

scottc

29 Dec 2015, 00:17

How very Massdrop-ish to give European users in CET time between midnight and 8am to make a change or lose their order... :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2015, 08:14

they give 24h. 8h was what was left when I posted.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2015, 11:41

Today I received a new test case I asked the manufacturer (we are a bit late I know, but I really wanted to try a thing).

I'm typing on the whitefox since a couple of weeks now and it's absolutely divine, but I would have liked it to be few mm shorter in height so the wrists stay in a more natural position. Please note that we are in the "fanatic" field here, nobody would have probably noticed and the previous case was just fine... but now... ohmy. This is pure heaven for your fingers. It's like orgasm for your fingers.

This is the case now (left) and before (right).

This just to show you the level of maniacal research for perfection I'm putting into this thing.

I want to thank once again MD for accepting all my crazy last minute requests.

kristofv

29 Dec 2015, 11:47

matt3o wrote: Today I received a new test case I asked the manufacturer (we are a bit late I know, but I really wanted to try a thing).

I'm typing on the whitefox since a couple of weeks now and it's absolutely divine, but I would have liked it to be few mm shorter in height so the wrists stay in a more natural position. Please note that we are in the "fanatic" field here, nobody would have probably noticed and the previous case was just fine... but now... ohmy. This is pure heaven for your fingers. It's like orgasm for your fingers.

This is the case now (left) and before (right).

This just to show you the level of maniacal research for perfection I'm putting into this thing.

I want to thank once again MD for accepting all my crazy last minute requests.
are these last minute changes still incorporated into the production of the white fox?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2015, 12:08

yes of course :)

shreebles
Finally 60%

29 Dec 2015, 12:16

Nice. I prefer lower height always in keyboards.

Matt_

29 Dec 2015, 13:01

Nice change. A few millimeters more or less in any direction can make a big difference indeed.

k.t

29 Dec 2015, 15:58

Is the ship date listed (mar 28) looking to be accurate? I thought somewhere I saw matt3o say it would ship shortly after the drop ended, but I don't see how that would be possible.

braidn

29 Dec 2015, 16:27

What keycap set are you rocking above matt3o?

Khers

29 Dec 2015, 16:36

Looks a lot like Midnight

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Dec 2015, 17:11

For sure Midnight!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2015, 17:58

yes, keycaps are midnight :)

I said that shipping wouldn't take long before I knew we needed FCC compliance to sell assembled keyboards. That alone would take 1 month I believe.

M1K3L08

29 Dec 2015, 21:33

matt3o wrote: yes, keycaps are midnight :)

I said that shipping wouldn't take long before I knew we needed FCC compliance to sell assembled keyboards. That alone would take 1 month I believe.
Im assuming this affects the ship date of the barebones too?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Dec 2015, 07:49

I believe MD want to ship all together. That may change if the FCC compliance takes longer than expected.

notmatt

11 Jan 2016, 09:07

I'm gutted - took a bunch of time away from the internet over the holidays, and missed this entirely.

If anyone's looking to offload one, though, I'd be in the market.

Return to “Workshop”