USB Type C Viability

Ninhalem

17 Mar 2015, 14:57

Since most USB connections will start moving toward Type-C (USB-C), at least on the small peripheral side, with main connections staying USB Type A (USB-A), I am researching whether the idea of putting a USB-C receptacle on a custom PCB layout with a Teensy in place of a traditional Micro-B receptacle.

I realize USB-C is supreme overkill (USB-C supports up to USB 3.1 speeds: 10 Gb/sec) for the amount of data that a keyboard would push through the connection, but something about the reversible nature of the plug is appealing.

Do you think this is possible, or not possible because of the Teensy requiring a USB-B micro adapter?

bhtooefr

17 Mar 2015, 15:14

One problem I've found is simply finding USB-C connectors in low quantity. And, sure, it's overkill to use all of the capabilities, but seeing as the cable is going to very quickly become standard, just using it for the USB 2.0 and power pins is worthy, IMO.

You'd have an adapter to use it with a current Teensy's mini-B connector, but...

Ninhalem

17 Mar 2015, 15:23

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think the spec can support up to 5A but don't trust me on that. I tracked down the datasheet inside a 50 MB spec release. I'm uploading the relevant PDF that contains all the PCB layout requirements, acceptable USB to USB connections approved by the group that produces USB, and the acceptable dimensions.
Attachments
USB Type-C Specification Release 1.0.pdf
(6.76 MiB) Downloaded 156 times

bhtooefr

17 Mar 2015, 15:42

The other nice thing is, if the device supports the Power Delivery spec, you can actually get enough power off of the host, potentially, to drive a powered USB hub without an external power supply.

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Mar 2015, 16:44

I have not had a device with this connector, but I LOVE the either-or orientation!

My concerns are: (1) How durable is the device mechanically? and (2) How snug and secure is the connection?

Thanks!

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2015, 16:57

Are we sure this thing (which I like, as a fan of the new MacBook too) is going on "client" devices like keyboards rather than just the "host" side? That would be a change from the way USB has enforced hierarchy before: USB A on computers and everything else on peripherals.

I'm in favour of such a change. But do we know?

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 17:27

its backwards compatible right ? All you need is a passive converter .

bhtooefr

17 Mar 2015, 17:55

It's replacing USB-A (host-side) and USB-B (device-side) ports. Part of this is because of the prevalence of USB micro-B OTG, which allowed a device such as a phone to act as a host as well. So, now, OTG is part of USB-C, and everything can use the existing OTG protocols to negotiate which end is host, or a device can be hard-wired as a device (just like it is on USB micro-B today).

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2015, 17:56

Hurrah!

Ninhalem

17 Mar 2015, 18:54

Now one of the few questions I have is where can we get the receptacles? I can probably get the plugs from an Apple store and slice the cord open, but finding the receptacles has been a little challenging.

bhtooefr

17 Mar 2015, 19:22

So far I've found where companies make the receptacles, but even part numbers are thin on the ground, and Digikey has nothing.

Ninhalem

17 Mar 2015, 20:03

There's also no mention of the receptacles on either Mouser or Molex. Belkin has type C to type C plugs for sale soon, but they're the same price as the Apple cords: 30 USD.

Return to “Workshop”