reconstructing my first crappy keyboard as a mech

sphinx
Major Bummer

21 Mar 2015, 15:02

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/OgChj

I previously posted this on reddit, a some time ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... echanical/

After that post i spent a lot of time lurking around here, reddit, geekhack and more reading up about other people's projects, looking for materials, prices, shops etc..

I decided to make a thread here, since i dont really like the way reddit works for communication..

Currently im designing the layout for the switches, using swill plate and clase builder and the keyboard layout editor.

I allready have a bunch of pcb mount mx switches and keycaps for them but I'm not really sure how to proceed now, since i have 2 options:

1. cut an 1.5mm acrylic plate to put the switches and hand wire them

2. make my own pcb (handmade, for cheapness) and solder the switches to the pcb

Since the keyboard has that ergonomical form i'm thinking of dividing it into 4 sections like this (so it would be 4 separate plates or pcbs):

1. the left hand side of the keyboard
2. the right hand side
3. arrow keys / pgup pgdown etc / print screen & friends
4. num pad

tips ?

pyrelink

21 Mar 2015, 23:53

My only suggestion would be to forget about the old keyboard case you have. It looks like it wastes a lot of space, it is not going to be easily compatible with your switches, or your plate, and it is beat to shit. Granted it might have sentimental value to you, it just feels a bit like swapping an engine from a new car into an old rusted out chassis. There have been plenty of cool ergo diy boards, and there are plenty of custom keyboard build guides (start here: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/work ... t7192.html) you can check out.

sphinx
Major Bummer

23 Mar 2015, 10:11

but that wouldnt be the same.. :)

the way i'm thinking of doing is cutting the plastic part where the switches used to be open and then make 4 smaller plates with cherry switches for each section and use the plastic case has a cover..

my only doubt is between pcb or plate mounted switches with hand wiring

Findecanor

23 Mar 2015, 11:04

If you have access to a CNC router, then maybe you could cut the plate from the case. You would have to measure and align it perfectly though and that would not be easy.

The walls around the keys should be around 7 mm high over the plate to fit regular keycaps. If you have cut away the "floor" with the barrels then you might have to sand down the walls on the inside so that they are not too high, and that is a bit of work. (I have done that, twice with different cases: sanding block, coarse sandpaper and lots of measuring)
Another option might be to cut away only the middle the floor so that there are lips around the edges for new plates to rest on.

In my eyes, that keyboard is quite ugly.. The fake touchpad in the middle irks me greatly because IT IS A BIG FAT LIE. :P I would sand that down, fill the spaces with plastic model putty and cover it with imitation-leather or something similar that feels nice and doesn't rub off.

sphinx
Major Bummer

23 Mar 2015, 11:34

i might have access to a cnc laser cutter and some other stuff from a FABLAB in town, which i'm planning to use if i go for the plate mounted option..

i know the keyboard isnt that good or pretty.. the plastic is really low quality, but i like the way it fits my hands.. this was the main reason i wanted to use it has a base

Return to “Workshop”