9%
IBM 107 FMK
26%
Hulk
No votes

Total votes: 23

Touch_It

30 Mar 2015, 23:49

The polish on that :O. It's insane. You did a much better job on your case than I did on mine.

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 23:50

idollar wrote: A question to the community ....

I painted yesterday the barrels plate in black after some sanding (pictures to be posted still). The black paint that I use is treated to avoid corrosion also. I am thinking on painting RED on top. What do you think ?

Imagine the board shinny with blank keys and red under ... will it be too extreme ?

I know nothing about matching colours. Sometimes I wish I would be color-blind to have an excuse. Unfortunately (fortunately) I see all colors that seem to match perfectly in whatever combination to my brain. I need some help and my wife left today during the rest of the weel ;)
Edit. I meant BlaNk

LLRnR
\m/

30 Mar 2015, 23:54

idollar wrote: Edit. I meant BlaNk
Oh, right. I didn't pay attention. And I already posted my awfully bad taste in PC towers thinking you were talking about combos involving black. Ah well, what's done is done :lol:

No, seriously, good luck with your decision. And whichever it may be, don't worry, you can always get a second IBM 107-key. ;)

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 23:59

Touch_It wrote: The polish on that :O. It's insane. You did a much better job on your case than I did on mine.
There is nothing special on it. And you can still polish yours if you like it after wet-sanding. Be careful with the direction of the sanding paper.

Halvar

31 Mar 2015, 00:01

Wow that looks incredible idollar!

Are you planning to paint the polished case with clear varnish? This isn't stainless steel after all, so I don't think it will stay that shiny for too long if you leave the bare metal in the open.

I would probably go for something darker than Ferrari red for the plate, but that's just me. Also depends on the color of keycaps you're planning to use.

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 00:04

LLRnR wrote:
idollar wrote: Edit. I meant BlaNk
Oh, right. I didn't pay attention. And I already posted my awfully bad taste in PC towers thinking you were talking about combos involving black. Ah well, what's done is done :lol:
I made the mistake. You read correctly.
No, seriously, good luck with your decision. And whichever it may be, don't worry, you can always get a second IBM 107-key. ;)
I have two 107. I had problems hiding the second one to she who must be obeyed. A third one ... a third one could be used in court to divorce me :-)

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 00:06

Halvar wrote: Wow that looks incredible idollar!

Are you planning to paint the polished case with clear varnish? This isn't stainless steel after all, so I don't think it will stay that shiny for too long if you leave the bare metal in the open.

I would probably go for something darker than Ferrari red for the plate, but that's just me. Also depends on the color of keycaps you're planning to use.
Well this was my question before, I do not know what kind of metal this is.
I did not want to paint it. It looks fine as it is. If it gets darker I could apply some polishing again. It takes literally seconds.

Blank keycaps in original IBM colour. Unicomp.

chzel

31 Mar 2015, 00:10

It almost certainly is aluminium, so it will get duller as it oxidizes, but a bit of polishing should make it shine again!

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 00:15

Well, we can always paint it later and see what happens now.

BTW: the original reason to have the blanco polishing is to maintain our kitchen desk

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Blanco-Reinigung ... 20f78bb4fb

Halvar

31 Mar 2015, 00:15

idollar wrote: Well this was my question before, I do not know what kind of metal this is.
I don't have a Model F with a metal case, so I can't tell. My beamspring's case isn't ferromagnetic, so my guess would be that it is dyecasted zinc. I think it's too heavy to be aluminium.

chzel

31 Mar 2015, 01:00

Aluminium and zinc have vastly different densities (2.7g/ml for alu, 7.2g/ml for zinc) so dunk that case in a bucket of water! For science!
And don't forget to measure the volume of the displaced water!
And the weight of the case!
That's all!
Off to bed!

Halvar

31 Mar 2015, 01:17

Sure, I could also just melt it, they also have vastly different melting points ... :D

chzel

31 Mar 2015, 01:36

That's the spirit! It's your keyboard, so you choose which experiment to do!

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Mar 2015, 01:40

Don't forget the gravity test.

fohat
Elder Messenger

31 Mar 2015, 03:52

I have tried a few options under the gray-dyed case.

If I ever get a metal one, my greatest desire would be to get a "tumbled" finish.
Attachments
F-122-M04-gray-red-004.jpg
F-122-M04-gray-red-004.jpg (259.71 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
F-122-M03-gray-green-003.jpg
F-122-M03-gray-green-003.jpg (240.83 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
F-122-M02-gray-orange-002.JPG
F-122-M02-gray-orange-002.JPG (236.46 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

scottc

31 Mar 2015, 03:55

Wow, nice. The gray dye looks really good. The orange is a little cartoonish for my tastes but I still really like it. How did you do that?

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 04:37

I definitively have decided that the 107 shall have banks after seen this picture from ramnes:

I will also keep the plate in black. I do not want the keyboard to be "aggressive".

Thanks a lot for your help.

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 04:46

A different question:

The keyboard needs a name. Do you want to contribute with your suggestion ?
what about i$7 ?

i=1 or I
$=0 or money = void (if you do not agree, ask the seller that you know and I will not mention here ;) )
7=7 or 7

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

31 Mar 2015, 05:08

47i$

joc

31 Mar 2015, 05:50

Awesome job idollar! The bare metal look is really nice! It reminds me of a Terminator's hyperalloy endoskeleton. Maybe the keyboard can be named "Terminator".

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

31 Mar 2015, 06:01

joc wrote: Awesome job idollar! The bare metal look is really nice! It reminds me of a Terminator's hyperalloy endoskeleton. Maybe the keyboard can be named "Terminator".
Well I just spent twenty minutes looking at different terminators on the wiki site :?
Now im afraid if I get this keyboard it might become self aware and might try to terminate me... :shock:

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 08:13

In the democratic DeskThority this question deserves a pool:

We have already three options:
  • 7i$
  • 47i$
  • terminator
I wanted to create a pool with the names that I would have been augment with additional ones, but the test show that if a new option is added to a pool the votes are reset. So we will collect possible names until Friday and let the pool run until I finish restoring the keyboard.

I will keep the list of the selected names for the pool in the first post of the thread. There is only one condition: I should like all the options ;)

I am also interested on the number of votes that "Please post your name proposals" and "Until Friday (included)" will get until then :mrgreen:

snoopy

31 Mar 2015, 19:28

Froot Loops

scottc

31 Mar 2015, 19:31

How about i(HAVE0)$? :mrgreen:

vsev

31 Mar 2015, 20:14

That bright armoured look of your case is tempting, I'll look further to finishing techniques but I think I'll definitely go for something like for mine !
Agreed with scottc this grey dye case is loking amazing too fohat :!

idollar
i$

31 Mar 2015, 23:02

scottc wrote: How about i(HAVE0)$? :mrgreen:
:lol:

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Apr 2015, 00:08

scottc wrote: Wow, nice. The gray dye looks really good. The orange is a little cartoonish for my tastes but I still really like it. How did you do that?
The gray is not really "dye" in the true sense but more of a paint, although it is sold in auto parts stores for plastic parts.

The plates were merely cleaned well and sprayed with Rustoleum. Last year I found Rustoleum "Hammered" in black and various copper/gold/bronze colors and they are my new favorites.
Attachments
F-122-X02-paint-etc-002.jpg
F-122-X02-paint-etc-002.jpg (231.14 KiB) Viewed 5257 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Apr 2015, 00:18

Oh, yeah, about the name. How about:

The Ingot

Ace
§

01 Apr 2015, 02:27

How about: The Exoskeleton?