Well Chewed Screwed?

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 20:24

Much to my frustration, instead of simple Philips head, Cherry opted to use funny little 6 pointed screws on the "engineering sample" MX Board 6.0 that I have here for review. More than a dozen of them in fact…
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg (606.95 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
Rummaging around through my tools, I couldn't find anything right. I've got six point screwdriver heads, but all much too big. Using a couple of flat headed screwdrivers of approximately the right size, I managed to get all the buggers out besides one. Uh oh!
IMG_0271.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg (422.29 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
Yeah, the macro lens does not lie. This wee bastard's well and truly mauled.
IMG_0272.jpg
IMG_0272.jpg (419.86 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
Anyone got tips for how to convince this one to come out? I can peek inside the keyboard with it still in place, but it really needs removed to get real access. Gah!

Nuum

07 Aug 2015, 20:31

The "funny little 6 pointed screws" are called Torx, much better than a regular Philipps or hex bolt! You could carefully drill the screw out with a slightly smaller bit than the screws diameter.

scottc

07 Aug 2015, 20:33

Torx are great... unless you want to take them out and don't have the right drivers around!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Aug 2015, 20:35

See if you have a small flat screwdriver that will fit that torx diagonally. Just make sure not to maul it more. :O
Last edited by seebart on 07 Aug 2015, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 20:36

I've got Torx. But they're all too big. My smallest is T10. These bastards look like T6 or something, so small!

@Seebart: How do you think it got so mauled in the first place!

seebart

07 Aug 2015, 20:38

Scottish brute force on flimsy cherry hardware aye? I'm surprised that keyboard is still in one piece. :P

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 20:40

It chiselled my screwdrivers quite the thing. I'm reet peeved.

jbondeson

07 Aug 2015, 20:47

Your best bet is a screw extractor. It's a little spiral headed bit that gouges into the screw and allows you to unscrew it long after you've destroyed the head.

chzel

07 Aug 2015, 20:48

Got any small Allens? They might get enough grip in there. Or get (buy or borrow you cheapskate!) a properly sized Torx. Torx screws are good at surviving this kind of abuse.

seebart

07 Aug 2015, 20:53

If the torx was bigger I'd say drill in the center but that's unpractical at that size as you may damage the keyboard.

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 20:56

The first tools I tried (before mauling) were my smallest Allen keys. None gripped. They picked a daft size.

I'll try to rustle up a crazy little Torx driver. No idea I'd caused that much distortion until I whipped out the macro. This was gentle stuff, um, honest.

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 20:57

jbondeson wrote: Your best bet is a screw extractor. It's a little spiral headed bit that gouges into the screw and allows you to unscrew it long after you've destroyed the head.
+1 for this, I have to imagine they put torx on to prevent exactly what you were doing Mu. Do you know of any other boards that come with torx?

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 20:58

None I've encountered. And certainly none so small. Struck me as security screws.

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 21:12

That's why i asked, it seems like they used them to act as a security measure. They certainly are tiny.

photekq
Cherry Picker

07 Aug 2015, 22:00

Melt a bic onto it ;)

Madhias
BS TORPE

07 Aug 2015, 22:04

photekq wrote: Melt a bic onto it ;)
Just wanted to say the same!

photekq
Cherry Picker

07 Aug 2015, 22:06

Oh, and make sure to melt the bic in the middle and bend it 90degrees for extra leverage.

KRKS

08 Aug 2015, 19:01

I usually use a rubber band and a flat head on those buggers but yours may be too small for that

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2015, 21:49

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I like the rubber band idea, I'll try that and then get progressively more brutal. Uh, I mean, um, persuasive. My brother suggests cutting a notch across the screw head and using a large flat screwdriver, but he overestimates the access space I have.

SL89

08 Aug 2015, 21:55

Muirium wrote: Thanks for the suggestions folks. I like the rubber band idea, I'll try that and then get progressively more brutal. Uh, I mean, um, persuasive. My brother suggests cutting a notch across the screw head and using a large flat screwdriver, but he overestimates the access space I have.
I've done that with a tiny little dremel, if you have access to something like that, your brother may be right.

Engicoder

08 Aug 2015, 22:02

I would second a screw extractor. I bought a set and it has been completely worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Damaged- ... +Extractor
Once you use one you will curse yourself for not buying them sooner.

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2015, 22:06

Maybe. How good are they on small screws in confined spaces?

Note that it costs $36 including shipping over here in good old ripoff Britannia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedout-Screw- ... ractor+Set

$9 is a no brainer though.

Engicoder

08 Aug 2015, 22:15

They are a little tricky to use. For the drill end, you can use a power tool, but when you switch to the extractor end, I would do it by hand and go slowly. You will read a lot of bad reviews from people who try to use the extractor with a drill.

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2015, 22:21

How do they work?

Engicoder

08 Aug 2015, 22:24

One end is a drill that shapes the hole in to a cone. The other end has a reverse spiral cutting edge. Since the spiral is reverse as you turn in the direction that loosens the screw the cutting edge digs into the screw tighter and tighter, allowing you to loosen and remove the screw.

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2015, 22:27

Ah, smart. Thanks. I'll look into it once the rubber band doesn't work!

jacobolus

08 Aug 2015, 22:37

Lots of things use tiny torx screws, and every reasonable electronics-sized screwdriver set comes with some tiny torx drivers. I don’t think it’s fair to call those “security screws”.

Now Apple’s “pentalobe” screws on the other hand....

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2015, 22:41

These are by far the smallest Torx I've seen. So small only my macro lens really clued me what they are. T5 or T6 I'd say. I went through all my tools, I've nothing smaller than T10. And I've taken apart PowerBooks…

fohat
Elder Messenger

09 Aug 2015, 00:24

At the minimum everyone should own a T9 in order to take apart your old hard drives and get the GREAT magnets out of them.

Engicoder

09 Aug 2015, 02:04

They make the best fridge magnets ;-)

Return to “Workshop”