Camp IBM on my balcony feat. idollar

shreebles
Finally 60%

30 Aug 2015, 14:33

I had the pleasure of meeting with a true IBM expert this weekend. Idollar had to pick something up in my city so we arranged a meeting afterwards to check out the goods, swap ideas with each other and work on keyboards! We set up camp IBM for a day and had some fun:
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG (664.74 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Needs more Beamspring! :twisted:
Spoiler:
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG (800.24 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
There you go :D

In the second picture, in the top row, you can see i$'s blank USB F, and the FSSK prototype which looks (and feels) very promising and is, quite frankly, an awesome idea!

In the second row you can see my now-ISO SSK, and a brutally violated M that is shift-less and enter-less for the time being. We were hoping to be able to swap the stabilizer inserts around without too much hassle but unfortunately they are somewhat off-center for the ISO enter, they may look the same but differ by milimeters. This M will either be screw-modded and converted to ANSI or, more likely, be made whole again through donation of a new stabilizer insert and keycaps. But it is not my priority as I have the SSK.

In the third row are idollar's beamspring boards, which were amazing. The first USB one with xwhatsit's controller shows the true marvel of marrying old and new technology. Quite fun to type on, too, and with a solenoid for extra clackiness. You can just turn it on and off with a button, they might as well have labeled that button "FUN ON/OFF" :twisted:
The second one, while a bit dirty, was also nice because the switches felt even smoother than on the first one. These are of course not the most practical and portable keyboards, and not very ergonomic due to the angle of your hands on the keyboard. But they feel so, so good and the caps on the first one are just mmm-hhhhm-good. Dat black and blue on pearly white sphericals... (unfortunately, the blue isn't very visible due to my phone camera)

Since i$ has a ton of experience he showed me how to properly treat an SSK.... With screws, because SCREW you nuts and bolts users! And what a nice opportunity to swap some hammers around and make it ISO, too!

This is it before the conversion, all QWERTZed up
Spoiler:
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG (504.15 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Off we go...
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG (612.55 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG (685.33 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG (598.84 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG (685.64 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG (510.34 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
We got rid of the rust to our best of abilities. I love the screws. All neat and tidy!
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG (429.65 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
And the current state,
DSC_0043.JPG
DSC_0043.JPG (689.39 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Once again I love seeing old and new technology in harmony....
Up next are possibly my second floss mod, because I liked the first one so, and perhaps going full QWERTZ again 8-)
The best thing about the screw mod is how much it can improve your SSK/M. Mine was pretty beat up, I had issues with seating some keycaps and some keys would only work after reseating multiple times. But the worst thing was the wobble, since the whole assembly was bent it resulted in the keyboard tipping back and forth because the whole case warped.
After the mod, it is pretty much perfectly straight, and does not wobble anymore.

I want to thank i$ for his time and patience. It was a lot of fun working with you!

The only problem is, now that I have seen what else IBM has to offer, buckling spring over membrane seems so mundane! While I dislike the sharper click of the F, the feeling was far superior and I would actually prefer the lighter touch. Beamspring was also really nice to type on. About regular buckling spring I like the simplicity and availability. But the technical limitiations of membranes and superior typing feel of the F make direct my interest more towards capacitive keyboards... I will definitely have to follow the FSSK project!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Aug 2015, 14:40

Very nice event my friends. I really would have loved to be there with you, I know Idollar is quite the craftsman and knows his IBM keyboards well. Great stuff! :D

Khers

30 Aug 2015, 14:44

Nice work! Did the extra spring and hammers make it in time for the event?

shreebles
Finally 60%

30 Aug 2015, 14:49

Khers wrote: Nice work! Did the extra spring and hammers make it in time for the event?
They did, thank you! Luckily, i$ had brought spares, as well. But I did not know that beforehand!
Funny enough, the newer ones feel a bit snappier and lighter than the original ones... Perhaps I need to do a full spring&hammer swap in the future, which now should not be a problem due to the simplicity of opening the plate assembly again.

Khers

30 Aug 2015, 15:08

shreebles wrote:
Khers wrote: Nice work! Did the extra spring and hammers make it in time for the event?
They did, thank you! Luckily, i$ had brought spares, as well. But I did not know that beforehand!
Funny enough, the newer ones feel a bit snappier and lighter than the original ones... Perhaps I need to do a full spring&hammer swap in the future, which now should not be a problem due to the simplicity of opening the plate assembly again.
Cool! Glad to be of any assistance!

I have a bolt and nut modded SSK here, that's crying out for a screw mod instead. It should be a quick job, but I haven't had the time or something... Maybe now is a good time.

snoopy

30 Aug 2015, 16:13

Nice meetup. Some of these boards look familiar. :D

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

30 Aug 2015, 16:16

Starting to really want one of those F107's...

I need to sell more boards so I can buy orihalcons.

scottc

30 Aug 2015, 16:23

Very nice pictures! I'm excited for the FSSK.

idollar
i$

30 Aug 2015, 17:43

shreebles wrote: ...
Since i$ has a ton of experience he showed me how to properly treat an SSK.... With screws, because SCREW you nuts and bolts users! And what a nice opportunity to swap some hammers around and make it ISO, too!
I want to thank i$ for his time and patience. It was a lot of fun working with you!
There were nice and appreciated words. Thanks shreebles !!!
But I just tried, and hopefully managed, to pass some info around.

It was a pleasure to meet you, and to work together

idollar
i$

30 Aug 2015, 21:31

And you safe my displaywriter ! ---> here !

Return to “Workshop”