PCB Build Question

hellothere

25 Jun 2023, 18:58

As always, I did search, but I got way too many hits, so new thread.

I've had a Datacomp DK-191 shoved in a corner for a while. It doesn't have a case. However, it does have the uncommon yellow clicky SMK 2nd Gen switches, but several on the num pad are broken. I did a general search for SMK case and I came across this PCB design. Then I found a video where the YouTuber says that PCBs are pretty inexpensive, so go to my sponsor and buy one!

I've never bought a custom PCB, before. I do understand that I have to buy at least 5, but it still looks like the final cost is around $60. Does that sound right? Is there anything I should be watching out for?

jsheradin

25 Jun 2023, 19:02

$60 delivered is about right for a batch in my experience. I've used JLC a ton with no complaints but there's also PCBWay, OSH Park, etc.

DMA

30 Jun 2023, 02:05

my last experience is JLCPCB for the TKL-sized PCBs, and it was $28 for 5 PCBs, plus about $12 shipping to US.
Of course it was leaded HASL, so you need to solder whatever you want to solder in couple weeks after unpacking (they'll come in an airtight plastic wrap). But still, it's pretty cheap nowadays.

hellothere

01 Jul 2023, 04:56

Cool. Thanks, folks. This is at least 4 projects down the road, but I think it might be fun.

Return to “Workshop”