Group Build prototyping phase

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Sep 2015, 09:55

okay, quick update.

for one of the protos the manufacturer made by mistake the sides in aluminum (the side is anodized the plate is not in the picture above)... big mistake because now we definitely want the whole case made out of alu.

we discussed pricing, remodelled the case slightly and now I'm pretty proud to let you know that the keyboard will be 100% anodized aluminum!

scottc

10 Sep 2015, 10:11

Wow, fantastic news matt3o! Amazing. I can't wait. :D

potatowire

10 Sep 2015, 15:13

Awesome! I am preparing my wallet for action.

snoopy

10 Sep 2015, 20:44

Want!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Sep 2015, 16:39

another quick update, it seems the WhiteFox will be also available in China on alixpress and similar sites. They surprisingly asked for permission to sell these keyboards, this should help reaching higher tiers and keeping the price down.

flabbergast

11 Sep 2015, 16:45

Hm... interesting. Do you mean that aliexpress and taobao orders will add to "our" orders? I would think that having it available on aliexpress and such would rather make people think that they can "wait" with their orders, and not jump in for the group buy.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Sep 2015, 16:56

flabbergast wrote: Hm... interesting. Do you mean that aliexpress and taobao orders will add to "our" orders? I would think that having it available on aliexpress and such would rather make people think that they can "wait" with their orders, and not jump in for the group buy.
Chinese manufacturers will place an order together with everybody else. The boards will be later available on aliexpress/taobao/etc. Yes, there's the risk to lose some orders right away, but the tiers will be so much better if resellers start to buy it.

remember that it's still a DIY keyboard, the market is pretty small.

flabbergast

11 Sep 2015, 17:00

matt3o wrote: Chinese manufacturers will place an order together with everybody else. The boards will be later available on aliexpress/taobao/etc. Yes, there's the risk to lose some orders right away, but the tiers will be so much better if resellers start to buy it.

remember that it's still a DIY keyboard, the market is pretty small.
Thanks, I understand the situation a bit better now. I'm happy for anything that will keep the price down ;)

BTW, some of the taobao resellers (or GH60-alikes) offer also "construction" service, so that might actually help as well.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Sep 2015, 17:12

also consider that it would have probably ended up on taobao anyway... with or without my consent :)

pyrelink

11 Sep 2015, 22:12

Very cool to hear. On one hand I just want to finally be able to buy one of these boards, but on the other hand it feels like with every update, things just keep getting better and better.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Sep 2015, 00:44

hopefully next week update will be the last before release

M1K3L08

12 Sep 2015, 01:25

Do you have a rough idea for the price of the PCB + case?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Sep 2015, 08:27

next week :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

13 Sep 2015, 00:39

Are the plates going to have a full size right shift like in that recent photo or will you have the option for 1.75 unit shift?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Sep 2015, 08:38

vivalarevolución wrote: Are the plates going to have a full size right shift like in that recent photo or will you have the option for 1.75 unit shift?
there are 7 layouts available, including 1.75u r-shift

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Sep 2015, 12:37

Incognito wrote: Maybe I just need new glasses but I fail to see the 'hole' for the up-arrow in the photo above :?
that is one of the 7 available layout. Specifically that layout lets you use any standard keycap set with your WF.

This is the full list, the plate above supports the last layout

flipjsio

14 Sep 2015, 09:36

When you say 7 layouts, is that going to be 7 different plates?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2015, 10:15

flipjsio wrote: When you say 7 layouts, is that going to be 7 different plates?
yes

flipjsio

14 Sep 2015, 12:06

I thought top and bottom rows are going to be flexible like you can have a winkeyless bottom and hhkb top row. So if I want hhkb-style, I can only choose option 6.

Question: Is it possible to open the keyswitches with these plates, without desoldering? Thanks.

flabbergast

14 Sep 2015, 12:11

flipjsio wrote: Question: Is it possible to open the keyswitches with these plates, without desoldering? Thanks.
Yes, at least on the prototype above (the switch cutouts are not square, but "notched" - these notches are exactly what allows you to open the switches).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2015, 12:29

what the cat says :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Sep 2015, 02:46

6th layout, ftw

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2015, 08:09

vivalarevolución wrote: 6th layout, ftw
That's my boy. The 6th is the "true" WhiteFox.

gianni

22 Sep 2015, 12:37

Hello matt3o, I'm interested in a pcb mount of your keyboard. Do you think that it can be used that way?

Is the semi definitive PCB, plus an emergency - minimal case already available?

Thanks

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2015, 13:06

gianni wrote: Hello matt3o, I'm interested in a pcb mount of your keyboard. Do you think that it can be used that way?

Is the semi definitive PCB, plus an emergency - minimal case already available?

Thanks
PCB mount should be possible, but the case is just the one above, we really can't make more versions.

On other news, this thursday I should get the final prototype!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Sep 2015, 14:07

OMG! It's finally here! It's all done! We are ready to release, I'll post pictures later today.

Whmeltonjr

23 Sep 2015, 15:56

Joined this site purely out of interest in getting this keyboard. Can't wait to see production pics.

M1K3L08

23 Sep 2015, 16:42

matt3o wrote: OMG! It's finally here! It's all done! We are ready to release, I'll post pictures later today.
:D :D :D :D :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Sep 2015, 17:12

finally assembled my very first full whitefox. I didn't have a light keycap set at hand so it's more of darkfox, but you get the idea.

Everything works as expected but I'd like to make some very small modifications to the case, actually they are such small details that nobody would probably notice or care... but still...

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

23 Sep 2015, 17:22

She's a looker, especially when nekkit.
In before fry meme.

Return to “Workshop”