Group Build prototyping phase

rindorbrot

17 Feb 2014, 20:47

Why does nobody seem to like F-keys???

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2014, 20:50

I just don't use them enough. Fn+number is so easy to use instead. Nothing personal, f-row, you're just not for me!

The numpad is more of an issue. It's always in the way on my full size keyboards, but I miss it enough on my TKLs and 60%s that I'm trying to integrate it somewhere. Maybe the left…

Jmneuv

17 Feb 2014, 21:11

that one µTKL goes in the right direction, i'm looking for something between lightsaver (korean) and quickfire-tk and µTKL

rapax24

17 Feb 2014, 21:14

hi everyone, i was lurking the forum in the past days and i finally decided i want to build my first keyboard.
i'm actually interested in the matt-3 layout (either iso or ansi version) or rindorbrot's one (i really like the dedicated funcion row though i think i could be resulting a bit too heavy with a full steel chassis)

sean4star

17 Feb 2014, 21:23

matt3o wrote:ISO test, I actually like it very much

So cool! I'm may have to add ISO to my Round 5 order now...

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

17 Feb 2014, 22:04

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 0b50f6e809

This is based on my experience with the hhkb pro jp:
- Layout plain ISO - my starting point as european.
- Fn in Win key (shifted gets Win) - never got used to those win keys, model M fault I'm sure.
- At least two Fn keys.
- Optional Fn1 layer in the Any Key with Menu in shifted position.
- Navigation / Cursors usable with just one hand.

Your comments, please.
Thanks matt3o!

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2014, 22:32

Looks good to me. Should be easy to find caps for.

Seems like there's a lot of interest in compact keyboards in the difficult-to-name space between 60% and TKL. The fact I'm at the higher end for a change is amusing! Pretty sure my keyboard was the smallest one we built last year. Perhaps I should design a 40%, quick…

rindorbrot

17 Feb 2014, 22:38

Standard 60% is almost too common for a GB like this ;)

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2014, 22:40

Indeed. Besides, my 60% layout was an HHKB and Poker hybrid. Now I've got that one conquered, it's time to get creative.

JBert

17 Feb 2014, 22:42

I like the width of the 60% keyboards, but they just don't have enough buttons to be practical for a programmer.

I therefore prefer to tack the F-keys to the top, seeing how my desk has no lack of vertical space:
Funcalpha-layout.png
Funcalpha-layout.png (12.93 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
Mind you the 1u gap between numbers and F-keys is there mostly because I'm used to it, but also because it provides a resting spot for your fingers when you don't want to press F-any yet. I can only wonder how much metal / weight it would add though...

EDIT: Mode 1-4 is for hardware QWERTY to Colemak, Fn lock, F-key lock, etc. Also note that the F-keys have 3 legends, the small print is for Fn, the larger print is for Fn2. And yes, I sometimes use software which requires the numpad keys.

EDIT 2: Seems I forgot to add a HHKB Fn key on the right shift. I take it not everyone would like my palm-technique to press the bottom-right Fn key.
Last edited by JBert on 17 Feb 2014, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Feb 2014, 22:59

I would also love something in ISO with a function row, but more compressed. I made this layout today for future Round 5 caps, i would call it something like a Mini-TKL:

The PANIC key would be for me "DELETE" main function, and could also be a HELVETICA cross, or a KBDRUNNER, LOTUS, or whatever. UP key would be row 3, and DOWN key row 4 same as the ARROW UP row 4 key.

For work i would always need a F-row because of the software i'm working with. Main functions (funny, the name says it all) are from F2 up to F12, and also with a second layer. But maybe for home a 60% board?

[EDIT] I really like Matteo's ISO test! That could be my 60-something board.
Last edited by Madhias on 17 Feb 2014, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

sean4star

17 Feb 2014, 23:15

matt3o wrote:variant for the Matt-1

Totally reminds me of the SmallFry 40% KB over at GH. Except 2 keys wider, so you actually have a proper set of punctuation keys.

rindorbrot

17 Feb 2014, 23:22

madhias wrote:I would also love something in ISO with a function row, but more compressed. I made this layout today for future Round 5 caps, i would call it something like a Mini-TKL:

That's my taste!
But I'd prefer a 1x Super key and a 1.25x Alt Gr instead.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

17 Feb 2014, 23:35

I've been fiddling with some ideas lately (yes, I am also still working on getting my keyboard finished from the last laser cutting gb ;) )

Here is what I had cut last time:
Silverback.jpg
Silverback.jpg (329.55 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
If It had to accomondate a more standardized set of keycaps, I would go for something like the below. Bottomrow could be changed to 1.5 units instead and a 7u spacebar, but that depends on what key sets people would want to use.
Ducky no f-row less keys.jpg
Ducky no f-row less keys.jpg (128.24 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
But what I really I want to try out next is a matrix layout:
Nordic monkey.png
Nordic monkey.png (16.29 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
This was inspired by some of the more compact keyboards people have gotten into lately. I liked the idea of getting rid of the less used keys in the Nordic layout, and just adding them to the FN layer instead. That's also why I have moved the right ALT (which should have read Alt Gr) as far to the middle as possible along with the FN key, as it should make it easier to press them with the right thumb.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Feb 2014, 23:49

RaleghDirat wrote:Image
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 0b50f6e809

This is based on my experience with the hhkb pro jp:
- Layout plain ISO - my starting point as european.
- Fn in Win key (shifted gets Win) - never got used to those win keys, model M fault I'm sure.
- At least two Fn keys.
- Optional Fn1 layer in the Any Key with Menu in shifted position.
- Navigation / Cursors usable with just one hand.

Your comments, please.
Thanks matt3o!
This is basically an ISO poker 2. I see no problem here.

I'm wondering if the the "official" layout should be very simple/standard or if we should dare a little.
Broadmonkey wrote:
why not filling the 3 missing keys to the right?
madhias wrote:I would also love something in ISO with a function row, but more compressed. I made this layout today for future Round 5 caps, i would call it something like a Mini-TKL:

it seems to be a lot of love for the function row. well, let's see if there's more interest in a 75% than on a 55% we can always do that instead.
rindorbrot wrote:Standard 60% is almost too common for a GB like this ;)
I mostly agree on this... but you know... keycaps...
rapax24 wrote:hi everyone, i was lurking the forum in the past days and i finally decided i want to build my first keyboard.
i'm actually interested in the matt-3 layout (either iso or ansi version) or rindorbrot's one (i really like the dedicated funcion row though i think i could be resulting a bit too heavy with a full steel chassis)
welcome aboard... and there's no such thing as too heavy in keyboards :)

rindorbrot

17 Feb 2014, 23:58

Yes, more weight-to-key ratio also improves typing feel (at least for me).

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

18 Feb 2014, 00:02

matt3o wrote:
Broadmonkey wrote:
why not filling the 3 missing keys to the right?
Because sometimes less is more ;) that is atleast something I learned with my last build.
But also, this way if you take a key cap set from a standard keyboard (eg. G8x-3000) you will be able to use it without any additional keys, and everything will be in the right profile. You can not do that if you fill out the three keys!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2014, 07:52

okay I understand that people want to be able to reuse various keycaps set. Using/Buying the ones designed to cover extravagant layouts is not an option.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Feb 2014, 08:13

I rather use this prototyping phase to buy more new caps! Arrgh.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

18 Feb 2014, 08:19

Variation with 4.5 spacebar and small shifts.
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f94fb15014

ماء

18 Feb 2014, 08:24

RaleghDirat wrote:Variation with 4.5 spacebar and small shifts.
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f94fb15014
SpaceShift is good idea for you when you hold Space is Shift :D it seems the problem is delay :?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41685.0
Ctrl_L be 1.50
Last edited by ماء on 18 Feb 2014, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2014, 09:32

another iteration of the small pupil.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Feb 2014, 10:53

Nice with the longer space bar, to have 2 keys on the top right to P and another key to L and M (damn, note to myself: maybe add spacebars in size 7 in round 5 GB).

I would definitely want to handwire a board for myself, and have to decide which size it will be - today i thought it will be a 40%. Or it could also be a bigger 60% board with F-keys.

In this group build here it will be one layout which will be made?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2014, 10:58

we will have 2 or 3 "ready to deploy" sets, but you can have your very own if you want.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2014, 11:03

I think there will be a lot of custom layouts once again. That's what draws us!

An extended SmallFry seems a really nice idea. BigFry! Those punctuation keys are just too vital for me to drop. And I'd use an appropriately tiny space bar to… ah, let's make a diagram.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Feb 2014, 11:18

Ah OK, thanks for clarification!
Last edited by Madhias on 18 Feb 2014, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

bazh

18 Feb 2014, 11:19

how about 75%, I love F-row

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2014, 11:23

this last one could be the Matt-4 :) (working title)

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2014, 11:24

Move Del to the right of Backspace and that's a handsome board. But whatever are you using function keys on a Mac for? That's my platform, too, and I only use them for media control and Exposé.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Feb 2014, 11:31

For example I have to use on my Mac a virtual Windows (Parallels) installation with some F-key-loving programs :)

Return to “Workshop”