First experiments in CNC

cookie

22 Sep 2014, 11:45

matt3o, one question on the poker cases, is it possible to make changes on the layout or do you plan to mass produce them that way?

I am looking forward to come up with some kind of poker/hhkb.

Greetings

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2014, 11:49

Laser wrote: Then, this is great!
Only two questions remain: when - and - how much? :P
I'm waiting for a second batch of acrylic, so hopefully by the end of the week I should have some samples ready. Please note that this is not "mass produced", I just make on-demand hand-crafted (well, CNC-crafted) samples.

Not sure about pricing yet. Somewhere between €35 and €50 I guess, it's hard to make an estimate. I plan to make fancy feet for it, too. Those lift the price a little because they are carved from 15mm acrylic and there's a special tiny nut inside.
Halvar wrote: Can you make a working key cap from your silicone mold, I mean a cap with a working mount?
there are various grades of silicone stiffness (called "shore" I seem to recall). The hard one can be probably used for a keycap, but of course the design can't be too complex (the harder the silicone, the lower the resolution).
cookie wrote: matt3o, one question on the poker cases, is it possible to make changes on the layout or do you plan to mass produce them that way?

I am looking forward to come up with some kind of poker/hhkb.
they are not mass produced, I make them on request, any layout is possible.

Laser
emacs -nw

22 Sep 2014, 12:02

matt3o wrote:
Laser wrote: Then, this is great!
Only two questions remain: when - and - how much? :P
I'm waiting for a second batch of acrylic, so hopefully by the end of the week I should have some samples ready. Please note that this is not "mass produced", I just make on-demand hand-crafted (well, CNC-crafted) samples.

Not sure about pricing yet. Somewhere between €35 and €50 I guess, it's hard to make an estimate. I plan to make fancy feet for it, too. Those lift the price a little because they are carved from 15mm acrylic and there's a special tiny nut inside.
Thanks, i'm quite interested!
(sorry for so many questions - are dark colors (black, blue etc.) possible?)

ماء

22 Sep 2014, 12:17

matt3o wrote: and this is a keyboard case, not yet 100% finished, but I like it.

It's acrylic, but the plate is 3mm with little pockets for the switch clips

Some edges seem rough but that's just some waste material to be removed and acrylic dust/powder.

(bottom is glossy, top is matte)

the plate is 3mm thick but it goes 1.5mm deep into the sides.
ajib nice :P
how to stabs?

Medowy

22 Sep 2014, 12:25

Will V60 fit in this? :)

andrewjoy

22 Sep 2014, 12:43

snoopy wrote: You should make nice novelty caps for the M or beamspring. That would be awesome. :D

that would be amazing

beamspring caps :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2014, 13:26

Laser wrote: Thanks, i'm quite interested!
(sorry for so many questions - are dark colors (black, blue etc.) possible?)
The side is 10mm, that can come in frosted or clear (transparent). The top and bottom can be in any color, opaque or semi-transparent. I took smoked and red this time, but any color will do.

Colored sides would be also possible, but more expensive and I have to find a good source for them.
Medowy wrote: Will V60 fit in this? :)
well, this is for custom keyboards, not properly as a case replacement. I could do acrylic case for poker and the like... one thing at a time.

Laser
emacs -nw

22 Sep 2014, 14:08

Thanks for answer! When you say "this is for custom keyboards, not properly as a case replacement" - do you mean, it will only work with a matching plate? I.e. I can't use the faceU PCB with the aluminium plate i already got? (this is what i want)

(BTW i have a feeling you have 3 clients for 60% Poker compatible cases, from the same part of the world ... )

Medowy

22 Sep 2014, 14:22

Last edited by Medowy on 22 Sep 2014, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Medowy

22 Sep 2014, 14:23

matt3o wrote:
Medowy wrote: Will V60 fit in this? :)
well, this is for custom keyboards, not properly as a case replacement. I could do acrylic case for poker and the like... one thing at a time.
Yeah that's what I thought. Better build a custom then! 8-) Cheers!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2014, 14:33

the current case is for custom keyboards or for hand-wired. The case is compatible with the faceu/gh60/etc PCB. It is also very easy to use for hand wired keyboards and includes an USB extension to connect to the teensy.

you could use with a V60, but that requires desoldering all switches. Hardly a viable solution.

I'm also working on a poker case, but that is a bit more complicated (it takes quite some time to mill one case from a block of acrylic or POM).

cookie

22 Sep 2014, 23:26

Sounds verry appealing, I am looking to hardwire the keys directly to the controller.
The whole PBC comes next (If neccessary)!

I am definately interested

Laser
emacs -nw

24 Sep 2014, 11:08

I think for my use case (pun! pun!), i would need something like a HHKB case, but with standard bottom row modifiers (Win/1.25 - Alt/1.25 - Space/6.25 - AltGr/1.25 - RWin/1.25) - with basically the top case cover hiding remaining unused switch holes, and to keep using my aluminium plate (switches already soldered). This would probably mean some top cover which is not at the same time the plate. Well, if/when you find feasible to make such a thing.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

24 Sep 2014, 11:19

Laser wrote: (BTW i have a feeling you have 3 clients for 60% Poker compatible cases, from the same part of the world ... )
Maybe 4 :P for a Poker compatible case. I don't like plates on my 60%'s, like them PCB mount.

mr_peck

24 Sep 2014, 11:48

cookie wrote: Sounds verry appealing, I am looking to hardwire the keys directly to the controller.
The whole PBC comes next (If neccessary)!

I am definately interested

Idem.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Sep 2014, 11:53

still waiting for the acrylic... I hate to wait for supplies :P

beltet

24 Sep 2014, 22:45

I think I would be interested in a custom case.
I have a 3 projects on the way and would like cases for them. Or is it only this design atm?

cookie

25 Sep 2014, 01:06

The waiting game :)

Could you tell what you exactely need from me to make my custom acrylic plate?

Cheers!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2014, 08:22

cookie wrote: The waiting game :)

Could you tell what you exactely need from me to make my custom acrylic plate?

Cheers!
the layout :)

mr_peck

25 Sep 2014, 09:29

It seems to be the perfect opportunity to build my custom keyboard :

It's easier to build a poker compatible plate or a complete plate + case ?

[EDIT updated picture]
Last edited by mr_peck on 26 Sep 2014, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2014, 09:48

not sure I get your question...

mr_peck

25 Sep 2014, 09:56

matt3o wrote: not sure I get your question...
Sorry for my poor english :)

I have a poker 2 at home and i wonder if it's easier to make a custom plate (with the custom layout) to mount on the Poker 2 case or to make a full plate + case ?

cookie

25 Sep 2014, 10:03

This is what I had in mind:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2014, 10:22

mr_peck wrote:
matt3o wrote: not sure I get your question...
Sorry for my poor english :)

I have a poker 2 at home and i wonder if it's easier to make a custom plate (with the custom layout) to mount on the Poker 2 case or to make a full plate + case ?
well, if you need just the plate, that would be cheaper. Difficulty is more or less the same :)
cookie wrote: This is what I had in mind:
what kind of holes you guys prefer? Straight or notched?

cookie

25 Sep 2014, 10:28

I actually don't care, once this thing is done I doubt that I am ever gonna open the switches up.
But you never know :D What would the difference in price be?

mr_peck

25 Sep 2014, 10:40

well, if you need just the plate, that would be cheaper. Difficulty is more or less the same :)
OK.
what kind of holes you guys prefer? Straight or notched?
I'll prefer straight holes but it's not very important for me.

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Sep 2014, 11:23

mr_peck wrote: It seems to be the perfect opportunity to build my custom keyboard :

It's easier to build a poker compatible plate or a complete plate + case ?
That's my layout too :)

(Or, almost? see the crappy pic - SPACE is standard in standard position)

mr_peck

25 Sep 2014, 11:28

Laser wrote: That's my layout too :)

(Or, almost? see the crappy pic - SPACE is standard in standard position)

Yes. The only difference is the classic Right Shift on my layout versus your smaller Right Shift + Fn. I don't need Fn key because i will use a modified SpaceFn layout.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2014, 13:57

just got the acrylic! :D

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Sep 2014, 14:30

matt3o wrote: just got the acrylic! :D
What's next?

Return to “Workshop”