IBM 107 Key Model F 4704 Restoration Thread

pyrelink

06 Nov 2014, 05:51

Yeah, I installed the board from the other side it appears. From the end that I soldered it into, I just can't seem to bend the ribbon cable enough to get the holes on the controller to line up with the tab. The controller works just fine as it is, and it fits safely in the case, so assuming, you don't think there is any thing to worry about, I will leave it as is.

andrewjoy

06 Nov 2014, 10:03

as long as its grounded it will be fine flapping in the wind my 122 is exactly the same , my grounding is a bit crusty tho i just solderer a wire onto each end

Hypersphere

28 Nov 2014, 20:17

Questions about the F107 compared to the F62:

I recently got an F62 Kishsaver. Before attempting restoration and USB conversion on the F62, I thought I would start with the less-rare F107. I noticed when I opened the case of the F107 that the internal plates align with the bolt holes in the case, but there were no spacers or gaskets. However, I have seen posts regarding the F62 that mention plastic inserts (spacers or gaskets) that are often broken.

1. Does the F107 not have these spacers or gaskets? Perhaps they are missing on mine.

2. On the F62 Kishsaver, are these spacers or gaskets necessary or desirable to have in place?

If these spacers or gaskets are preferable to have, are there sources for them, or could they easily be made? What about just getting some gasket material, cutting it to size, and drilling the necessary holes? What material would be best to use?
Last edited by Hypersphere on 29 Nov 2014, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

xwhatsit

28 Nov 2014, 23:38

My F107 doesn't have any spacers/gaskets, the plates are just bolted together through the case. It does mean you have to be a little careful with assembly to align the plates with the case, otherwise (as with the beamsprings) you can have keys rubbing on the case.

I haven't converted mine yet, no time. Might have to get one of those fancy controllers people are having made (I have none left!).

Parak

29 Nov 2014, 00:20

The spacers, as I understand it, are primarily to keep the top case from possibly crushing the barrels inside the assembly due to overtightening. It's a situation unique to the 4704 boards, as they have the metal curve of the top plate pressing into the barrel plate.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Nov 2014, 15:32

xwhatsit wrote:
My F107 doesn't have any spacers/gaskets, the plates are just bolted together through the case.
Would you post a photo of this situation, please?

Just because I am curious in case I ever get one of these.

pyrelink

30 Nov 2014, 00:05

I have since finished most of the restoration on my board. I have pictures of the reassembly process, that I will post some pictures of soon. And like xwhatsit and Parak have already said, there are no spacers on my 107, and it is directly just bolting the case halves together with the PCB/barrel plate sandwiched in between.

30 Nov 2014, 03:39

fohat wrote:
xwhatsit wrote:
My F107 doesn't have any spacers/gaskets, the plates are just bolted together through the case.
Would you post a photo of this situation, please?

Just because I am curious in case I ever get one of these.
In some of the pictures I posted of mine, you can see where the spacers could go.

You can see the screw positions in this image :

And the holes in the bottom plate in this image :

Note that on the 4707 107, that is all that is there - top case, bottom plate, bottom case. Apparently some of the 62 key 4704s had a spacer in between where the screws go.

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Nov 2014, 17:15

Ah, thank you.

I would use thin rubber washers between everything, even if it created a slightly larger gap between top and bottom shell.

On my 122s, I used a strip of black electrical tape under the "wing tabs" on the sides of the barrel plate, and rubber washers on the top side.

Hypersphere

01 Dec 2014, 16:49

fohat wrote: Ah, thank you.

I would use thin rubber washers between everything, even if it created a slightly larger gap between top and bottom shell.

On my 122s, I used a strip of black electrical tape under the "wing tabs" on the sides of the barrel plate, and rubber washers on the top side.
What would be the purpose of electrical tape and washers on the wing tabs?

On the F107 family, it might also be good to insert removable vertical spacers on each side before tightening the bolts on the bottom of the case. This would help ensure that the keys do not rub against the case. The spacers could be removed after tightening the bolts.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Dec 2014, 23:29

Hypersphere wrote:

I am big on dampening vibrations, so I put insulation and padding wherever I can.

I think I showed it in my F-122 ANSI guide on geekhack.

Hypersphere

01 Dec 2014, 23:42

fohat wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:

I am big on dampening vibrations, so I put insulation and padding wherever I can.

I think I showed it in my F-122 ANSI guide on geekhack.
Aha! Yes, this makes sense. I am going to try this in my F107. And by dampening vibrations, rubber washers might also help maintain the lateral spacing of the plate assembly to keep the keys from hitting the edges of the case.

02 Dec 2014, 00:24

Hypersphere wrote: Aha! Yes, this makes sense. I am going to try this in my F107. And by dampening vibrations, rubber washers might also help maintain the lateral spacing of the plate assembly to keep the keys from hitting the edges of the case.
Not sure why this is a concern? The keys on my 4704 107 get nowhere close to the case, and I have no additional padding or spacers present.

I used rubber stick on bumpers on the bottom four corners of the case to isolate the metal of the case from the wood of the desk - it gives the entire board kind of a springy feel.

Hypersphere

02 Dec 2014, 01:11

@0100010, I have an F107 in which the plates have shifted to the right, so that the keys on the right side of each island scrape against the case. I have heard reports from others about a similar issue with these keyboards.

Regarding bumpers: Yes, excellent idea. I am thinking of putting large bumpers on the back/bottom edge of the case to elevate the keyboard to a comfortable typing angle and using smaller silicone bumpers on the front/bottom edge.

02 Dec 2014, 16:06

Interesting. Two questions for this -

Is it the entire internal assembly that has shifted right, that just needs to be moved to the left (which is possible with most Model Fs using the existing bottom plate mounting tabs)?

Or is it that the barrel frame is not fully seated against the bottom plate, and this issue could be resolved if you fully seat it?

Hypersphere

02 Dec 2014, 17:45

0100010 wrote: Interesting. Two questions for this -

Is it the entire internal assembly that has shifted right, that just needs to be moved to the left (which is possible with most Model Fs using the existing bottom plate mounting tabs)?

Or is it that the barrel frame is not fully seated against the bottom plate, and this issue could be resolved if you fully seat it?
In my "case" (as it were), the entire internal assembly has shifted to the right.

Touch_It

02 Dec 2014, 18:43

When I got my board the internal assembly had shifted to the right and keys were scraping on the right side. I'm assuming if the outer shell is bolted together tight (mine wasn't). The internal assembly wouldn't shift unless it was dropped or abused.

Hypersphere

07 Dec 2014, 00:33

Question about manufacture or remanufacture of IBM 4704 F 107 keyboards:

I just opened up an F 107 and found that the inside back plate has a sticker with an apparent date on it that says, "10/3/95". The usual IBM sticker with various initials on it is not present. In addition, the controller says, "Made in Taiwan". Finally, the back of the case has a silver IBM sticker with Model 400 on it, but the original date of manufacture has been covered up with a bar-code sticker.

Does anyone know what is going on with this?

Touch_It

07 Dec 2014, 00:51

Hypersphere wrote: Question about manufacture or remanufacture of IBM 4704 F 107 keyboards:

I just opened up an F 107 and found that the inside back plate has a sticker with an apparent date on it that says, "10/3/95". The usual IBM sticker with various initials on it is not present. In addition, the controller says, "Made in Taiwan". Finally, the back of the case has a silver IBM sticker with Model 400 on it, but the original date of manufacture has been covered up with a bar-code sticker.

Does anyone know what is going on with this?

Mine was the same way. As far as that barcode goes, it said IT on it, so I was assuming that came from whatever company mine came from. I'm half assuming yours, like mine was restored at some point, but that's just my guess.

07 Dec 2014, 01:47

My F107 back label had the original date still exposed, 26-1983 (which I assume means week 26, 1983) - and it had a sticker on the bottom plate with a date around 10-09-95 (which I assume was a remanufacture or repair date).

Hypersphere

07 Dec 2014, 02:31

0100010 wrote: My F107 back label had the original date still exposed, 26-1983 (which I assume means week 26, 1983) - and it had a sticker on the bottom plate with a date around 10-09-95 (which I assume was a remanufacture or repair date).
Yep, 1995 was when they slipped in those spy chips to record bank transactions. ;)

Touch_It

07 Dec 2014, 15:29

I think I see what you did there lol. Mine was actually done in 1996.

alh84001
v.001

22 Apr 2016, 20:41

I just got this today. I plugged it in and only the "w" button worked. I fired up the xwhatsit gui util, and sure enough, only key (4,3) was configured to send a "W" signal. Looking at the amount of keys on this thing, can anyone export their xwhatsit config from the gui util so I can base off of that?

Return to “Workshop”