Feasibility Check: Convert SSK to Model F Switches?

Hypersphere

13 Nov 2014, 20:15

I really loved my IBM Model M SSK until I discovered Model F capacitive buckling spring switches. I still love the SSK for its layout, and an ideal keyboard for me would be the SSK with Model F capacitive buckling spring switches.

This leads me to the following YANQ* :

How feasible (or infeasible) would it be to convert an SSK to capacitive buckling spring switches? Would it be possible to produce a capacitive PCB to match the layout of the SSK?

* YANQ = Yet Another Naive Question

Nuum

13 Nov 2014, 20:21

Should be possible, wcass did it with the XTant: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brin ... t3047.html?
He also said, that he wants to do capacitivve PCBs for a few more layouts, next in line should be some kind of 75% keyboard, similar to the Noppoo 84.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 21:28

But what about the barrel plate? Ever noticed how much larger a Model F flipper is compared to a Model M's? As I recall, a Model M barrel plate has nice little housings of the right size for M hammers, but not their bigger brothers.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Nov 2014, 00:27

Muirium wrote: But what about the barrel plate? Ever noticed how much larger a Model F flipper is compared to a Model M's? As I recall, a Model M barrel plate has nice little housings of the right size for M hammers, but not their bigger brothers.
You are comparing apples to orangutans.

The (large) pivot plate of the Model F generates an aura of capacitance over the PCB while the (small) hammer of the Model M merely presses layers of plastic together.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2014, 00:29

Exactly. And so would Hyper have to make a whole new barrel plate as well as a custom PCB like the XTant's? Because that's a tall order, likely enough to scupper his plan entirely.

I'd like an SSK with the feel of a Model F, too. But I think it's a giant task.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Nov 2014, 00:37

Muirium wrote:
I'd like an SSK with the feel of a Model F, too. But I think it's a giant task.
The XTant project (all hail the magnificent wcass) will get you very close.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2014, 01:20

Yup. I'm putting together the parts for one…

The SSK has a classier look to its case than the XT, though. If there were a way, it'd be mighty tempting.

Hypersphere

15 Nov 2014, 15:55

After thinking more about this, I think it would be easier -- although still quite a challenge -- to cut down a Model F board. For example, an F107 might be cut down to an F77 or F62 (with or without the bank of ten keys to the left of the main typing area). In fact, I would prefer not to have the top row of F-keys; I am fine with F-keys to the left and/or in the Fn layer using the number row across the top. The F107 has the advantage (to me at least) over the XT or AT of already being close to a standard ANSI layout, having plenty of modifiers in the bottom row, and sporting a smallish spacebar.

Better still if I could simply find an F77 or F62!

guillaume kuster

21 Nov 2014, 22:37

So you don't like your HHKB anymore?

Hypersphere

21 Nov 2014, 22:40

My favorite switches are IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F), Topre 55g (RF 87u), Topre 45g (HHKB Pro 2), and IBM membrane buckling spring (Model M).

I rotate keyboards among my IBM XT, IBM SSK, RF 87ub 55g, RF 87ub 45g, and HHHB Pro 2.

I even toss in the odd Cherry mx and Alps-switch keyboard once in a while.

guillaume kuster

21 Nov 2014, 22:44

I was just asking because I recently have read your HHKB pro 2 review and really enjoyed it. The facts and the storytelling. And I was maybe also asking because I'm getting an HHKB pro 2 soon ;)
</offtopic>

Hypersphere

21 Nov 2014, 23:39

guillaume kuster wrote: I was just asking because I recently have read your HHKB pro 2 review and really enjoyed it. The facts and the storytelling. And I was maybe also asking because I'm getting an HHKB pro 2 soon ;)
</offtopic>
Glad you liked the review. Let us know how you like your new HHKB Pro 2!

Hypersphere

05 Mar 2016, 18:09

Now the SSK with Model F switches has become a reality via two splendid projects:

workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html

Thanks to idollar and lot_lizard with contributions from many others.

Return to “Workshop”