My first keyboard project

Artemis

24 Jan 2015, 21:39

Well, I hope I am posting this on the right place. If I am not, please, forgive me for my clumsiness. Also forgive my English, as I am not a native speaker...

So, I love to type. I do not measure my speed or anything like that, but I get quite a good precision while doing this task. And I like to write. Therefore, I use keyboards a lot. I also like to game, so I press many keys a lot of times.

The thing is - I live in Brazil, and we get an awkward keyboard here. It has some special keys such as the ç, and this ends up messing the entire keyboard layout. My typing speed falls down quite a lot when I use a Brazilian keyboard. Four years ago I lived abroad and bought myself a Logitech Wave, which was quite amazing. It lasted for about 4 years, and now some keys are getting stuck. It is also way too bulky, roundy and does not look so pretty. Therefore, I need a new keyboard.

I am a designer. I love to create stuff. The thing that makes me really happy is to create things. I start with some flour, water and olive oil and end up with an amazing pizza. I start up with a blank page and after one hour I have a story. I start with wood and end up with a desk (I am building my new computer desk filled with goodies). So... why not building my own keyboard? One that will last (in theory) for many many years?

I will use mechanical switches. I am actually buying a sample of the Cherry MX to see which ones feels best for me. I want to mount them on a PCB, and have the keys 3D printed, so they can fit my exact specifications of design, colour and shape, and I want to make the case with laser-cut (and engraved) acrylic.

Now, for my questions:

-I have experience with 3D printing and laser cutting. Manufacturing the pieces that I can't buy will be rather easy for me. I know how the keyboard should work, and I actually feel quite comfortable using the one that is installed on my mac book (guilty, I know... I got used to it regarding key layout). I need, therefore, around 80 keys. No lateral keypad, no keys such as pause, print screen or all that stuff. Are there pre-designed PCBs I can use or I will have to design one myself?

-Which controller would be best for my application? I have friends who are way better on electronics than I am, so I have people who can help programming them and all that stuff. I just have to know what to buy...

-I noticed that some keyboards use a "spring" for longer keys. I noticed that others use three switches so you can press the spacebar on either side. Which one is the best solution?

SORRY for the long post! Thank you! <3

I will be more than glad (quite proud, actually :B) to share my progress with you. I am now more worried about the insides of the keyboard rather than its looks. I f you want, I can share the 3D printing files I will use for the keycaps.

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2015, 23:05

That's quite an advanced project!

You will find a lot of information about controllers and wiring up a matrix in the threads listed here:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/work ... t7192.html

Custom PCBs are typically quite expensive. It's one of those things where less costs more! There are other ways to make a keyboard (hand wiring) but a PCB does make things easier overall, and cleaner looking inside. Going for a pre-existing PCB means you'd have to use (more or less) the same layout as everyone else joining in on the group buy.

Got a diagram to show what layout you have in mind?

3D printed caps is an interesting idea. I've tried a handful of prototype ones (sent to me by their maker) which feel nice individually but I'm not sure how well they'd work on a full keyboard. Another problem is legends. How to make them as readable as printed plastic?

The thing you're talking about that's used on space bars (and some other large keys, like Shift and Return) is a "stabilizer". Or stabs for short. There's two main systems: Cherry stabs and Costar stabs. Some boards (like certain Tipro models) do actually put switches on either end of the key instead, but this isn't as good. The key will rock as it goes down. If you press a space bar on the left end, see how the right end goes down evenly, the whole thing stays straight. That's a stabiliser in action. Custom boards do implement them too. Typically with mounting holes on the PCB or plate, for pre-existing stabs harvested from boards or bought from WASD etc.

Findecanor

24 Jan 2015, 23:20

Artemis wrote: Are there pre-designed PCBs I can use or I will have to design one myself?
Yes, and there a few DIY parts available.

There is the Phantom (description) for which you can buy the PCB from Mechanicalkeyboards.com. It requires a Teensy 2.0 - controller which is available from there and various other places.
The Phantom will require a metal plate for mounting the switches, though.

There are also a few different types on Gon's Keyboard Works, often with the controller on the board.

In every case, you should be able to program any layout on the keyboard that use the supported key arrangements. There is firmware available that will allow you to do it with little or no programming.
Be aware though that you can only move keys around - not change the set of symbols on each key. The latter is set in the operating system.

If this above seems expensive and daunting, then an alternative could be to use a store-bought keyboard as a starting point.
Member bpiphany here has designed a few replacement controllers that will fit inside some popular keyboard models. You could program the controller to the layout and features that you want.
Artemis wrote: -I noticed that some keyboards use a "spring" for longer keys. I noticed that others use three switches so you can press the spacebar on either side. Which one is the best solution?
I think both that you are referring to are actually two variations of the same thing: a stabiliser bar.
A stabiliser bar is a wire that is connected to two ends of the key so that if you press one end then it will turn and pull down the other end. In some variations the stabiliser bar is hidden away behind a "plate" or covering, and then it could have sliders going through the plate - and those sometimes look like switches, but aren't.

Artemis

24 Jan 2015, 23:54

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response!
I just made a layout that is quite similar to hte keyboard I am using right now, but with small changes. A thing that really bothers me is that there are too many different key sizes on the one I am using. I fixed this and it looks far more appealing now.
Screenshot 2015-01-24 20.44.20.png
Screenshot 2015-01-24 20.44.20.png (106.65 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
As for the keys: I fell in love with mechanical keyboards with the "Das Keyboard". That one with blank keys. I feel quite comfortable with that idea, but you can get an amazing precision nowdays with 3D printing, so I could actually engrave the letters. The problem would be that sweat would build up on those grooves... yuck.

I have read on many places that you can actually make the pcb at home. I have seen some amazing results that were made with a halogen lamp, some patience and a good printer. So... I think I could take care of that. The thing is - I want to make the case with acrylic, so it has to look good... so wiring it by hand is no good. In fact, in further projects I want to make the PCB look amazing (Steve Jobs wanted that on the Apple Lisa. They didn't do that in the end because it would be an insane amount of work).

I can see how I can fit the stabilizer... not too much work. Will just have to make sure I can 3D print the space bar properly.

Findecanor

25 Jan 2015, 01:06

You can't get the arrow keys that small with Cherry MX switches.

The Matias company has made a special group order for enthusiasts for a keyboard that has almost that layout, except for the function keys. It uses Matias' own switches, which are clones of Alps switches for the bottom rows and arrow keys, but you could use Cherry MX for the keys on the other rows. I think the pre-order is ending soon, and I am afraid that it could take a while before it will be shipped.
http://matias.ca/60/pc/

Artemis

25 Jan 2015, 01:36

I was going to ask about Matias Switches They seem to be cheaper, but still have the 50 million keystrokes lifespan. Comparing to Cherry... are they better? Worst? Equal? Different? is there any similar layout I can use instead?

scottc

25 Jan 2015, 01:59

It's a matter of opinion. They feel different, and Matias (= ALPS) take a different keycap mount which is unfortunately less ubiquitous than Cherry MX's cross-mount, so sourcing keycaps is more difficult.

An existing keyboard with a similar layout to yours but without the impossible arrow keys is the Noppoo Choc Mini: Image
Or Keycool 84:

Artemis

25 Jan 2015, 02:01

I like those! I like them a lot, actually. Where can I get a matching PCB?

scottc

25 Jan 2015, 02:12

There's a similar board called the MX Mini that comes in DYI form. winkeyless.co.kr do (a variant of?) them. Here:
http://winkeyless.kr/en/?product=b-mini-pcb

These are restricted to the winkeyless firmware, as far as I know. It's fully configurable though, so you can choose the function of each key.

Artemis

25 Jan 2015, 02:21

Oh. My. Gosh. This is PERFECT. I am absolutely in love with it!

scottc

25 Jan 2015, 02:29

I'm glad it worked out so well for you! I almost didn't post it - I almost posted it earlier but decided against it because I thought you'd be put off by the extra keys. I'm glad I did after all. :lol:

Artemis

25 Jan 2015, 02:37

And... I think I fell in love with the MX Brown keys. Didn't try them out yet, but they sound exactly as I want. Just have to know if they will feel good as well... And then I will be off to spend all my money on a keyboard. I will post results!

Artemis

25 Jan 2015, 20:33

The only problem is... shipping is expensive. Really expensive, in fact, and I will have to pay taxes over it. :c

scottc

25 Jan 2015, 20:42

Really? I thought they'd reduced shipping to something like 25-30 USD.

Findecanor

25 Jan 2015, 22:22

Gon's Keyboard Works might have another variation of the same keyboard also.
There is also the Red Scarf III group order but it is US only so you would have to get a proxy.

But anyway... this can be an expensive hobby. ;)

Artemis

26 Jan 2015, 01:17

I actually have an address in the US that ships stuff for me and takes care of taxes. The problem is that I don't want to dig a deep deep hole on my credit card.

You guys are amazing. I will be glad to share the 3D printing results (and files) for public use. Thank you very much!

scottc

26 Jan 2015, 01:29

Ah, well, that's not really avoidable. ;)

And you're welcome!

Return to “Workshop”