Ultimate Room Tour

HAL

15 Oct 2014, 22:31

I also like a clean setup.
2004-09-04_living_room.jpg
2004-09-04_living_room.jpg (871.67 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
I took this picture 10 years ago for the bash.org messy desk competition, but of course I missed the deadline :lol:
The winning entry:
http://web.archive.org/web/200402020524 ... nny?full=1
Last edited by HAL on 15 Oct 2014, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2014, 22:43

i see your a fan of the paper lampshade ! I am too i think they work very well in an office as they massively reduce glare.

Compgeke

15 Oct 2014, 23:49

Ugh, all that white. I would never keep that clean. I don't see the obsession with all white everything as I actually spend time in my room and as such dirt happens whether it be insanely dusty keyboards or I just walked in after working on a lawn mower.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2014, 20:35

andrewjoy

16 Oct 2014, 22:24

cool, also allot of things missing, like a microphone port and a decent number of USB

dont get me wrong its an amazing bit of tech but even 4gb of vram is not enough for that display and why go AMD when power per watt nvida are better

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Oct 2014, 08:21

we are not technologically ready for a 5k, in fact apple had to use a "hack" to drive the monitor (a supplementary dedicated controller). I would wait the next generation, this model I'm pretty sure will have its good share of problems.

Also, why the hell radeon?! nvidia just released the 970M and 980M!

even the 780M is better than a M290X
Last edited by matt3o on 17 Oct 2014, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

17 Oct 2014, 10:03

Its amd they are quite a bit behind now both in GPU and CPU, yes there cards can just baout keep up but they have to use at least 50% more power to do so, from what i have seen nvida is holding back. I

ts a shame i have never had an AMD card but i did like the CPUs back in the P4 core duo days they had the edge but its slipped away now , its never good when that happens as there is then a lack of competition.

cookie

17 Oct 2014, 10:20

you are derailing this! Can we please get back to hating this guy?
Thanks! :D

andrewjoy

17 Oct 2014, 10:39

yes sorry

as i said a total wank room what a d***

scottc

17 Oct 2014, 11:00

andrewjoy wrote: yes sorry

as i said a total wank room what a d***
You starred out "dick" but not "wank"? :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Oct 2014, 11:06

this guy made his dream room, personally I could never live in that environment, but well... I see no reason to insult the poor chap

mr_a500

17 Oct 2014, 11:15

cookie wrote: you are derailing this! Can we please get back to hating this guy?
Thanks! :D
I'll get in on the hate. I hate throw pillows. I hate little shelves filled with piddly crap. I hate glass tables. I hate things hanging on the wall. I hate the lighting. I hate white drywall rooms and plastic carpeting. I hate bland white furniture. I hate angled doors, doors with windows and desks facing the wall. I hate "bobble head" dolls. I hate Chinese-made lava lamps. What else? Oh yeah, I hate the keyboard too.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2014, 11:55

…and yet, despite it all, I just love the guy!

cookie

17 Oct 2014, 14:55

Ahahaha :D

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2014, 19:23

matt3o wrote: we are not technologically ready for a 5k
I think we might be more so than you think:

http://www.marco.org/2014/10/16/retina-imac-vs-mac-pro

The benchmarks you show are for gaming. As they almost always are. Apple uses nvidia chips in other Macs. Something tells me they picked AMD for this one very carefully. An industry leading resolution requires a certain form of horsepower. Gaming frame rates at fractions of the resolution, quite another.

mr_a500

17 Oct 2014, 19:28

I'm hideously disappointed with the gaming performance of the retina Macbook Pro (dual graphics). According to specs, it should kick ass. Instead, it sucks ass. I see jerkiness all over the place. (and yes, I've tried every setting imaginable)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Oct 2014, 19:59

Muirium wrote:
matt3o wrote: we are not technologically ready for a 5k
I think we might be more so than you think:

http://www.marco.org/2014/10/16/retina-imac-vs-mac-pro

The benchmarks you show are for gaming. As they almost always are. Apple uses nvidia chips in other Macs. Something tells me they picked AMD for this one very carefully. An industry leading resolution requires a certain form of horsepower. Gaming frame rates at fractions of the resolution, quite another.
we do not have the standard yet, the solutions so far are hackish. I was expecting the latest nvidia cards in the imac (specifically 970m and 980m), they have a performance per watt that puts ati to shame. They evidently picked ATI for other reasons (price? agreements? nvidia cards not ready during the dev phase of the 5k display?). Will the average Mac user even care? Nah, I don't think so, but at least let's try not to deny the evidence.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2014, 21:07

If I fulfil my fantasy and get one of these, I won't be gaming on it. I even opted for the no-discrete GPU version of the 15" Retina MacBook Pro because silent running is infinitely more important to me than the hypothetical frame rate of games I'll never play.

Mr_A500: you remind me of grumbly Siracusa. Jeez, build a gaming rig! A laptop (and yes, an iMac) makes design choices that are directed very far away from games. (Like mine above.) Dedicated (design free) hardware is the way to go for gamers, always has been.

Findecanor

17 Oct 2014, 21:21

matt3o wrote: Also, why the hell radeon?! nvidia just released the 970M and 980M!
Yes, just. Too late to get into Apple's development cycle.

Hmm... I think Apple also has to keep ordering from both NVidia and AMD both to keep them both interested in developing Mac drivers.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Oct 2014, 23:52

the R9 M295X is not out either but that didn't stop them :)

it is possible that the decision to go AMD might be related to the displayport. I don't know the specific but AMD is a great displayport supporter and maybe Apple got help from them to be able to actually drive a 5k. Like I said, technically it's not possible yet to run a 5k on a single connection (other 5k monitors split the display in two) so they maybe did some hackery (like overclocking the displayport controller). I doubt Apple is able to do that internally and AMD might be more interested in helping than nvidia.

quantalume

18 Oct 2014, 00:08

I'm pleased to see Apple go with AMD. A lot of academics use Macs, and this results in a lot of high-performance computing projects being implemented in CUDA, Nvidia's proprietary platform. Now they will have to use OpenCL, which is more hardware agnostic.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 08:09

nvidia implemented opencl in 2008...

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2014, 12:31

Cuda is to OpenCL as DirectX is to OpenGL. Fat load of use when you don't control it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 12:49

go-go cliches!

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2014, 13:20

As far as I understand, Apple itself actually develops the drivers for AMD, Nvidia and Intel hardware on the Mac platform. So OpenGL and OpenCL are vitally important, as they have their work cut out for them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Apple ultimately go in-house with fully custom hardware and software on the Mac just like on iOS. But the path from here to there is difficult, so I don't expect it happen any time soon. But eventually it's exactly what they are looking for. Total control.

And eventually all computers are going to be entirely built on one die, storage and memory included. Apple may well get there first, but the advantages are so strong that once someone does it, everyone will.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 13:37

at least on the PC/desktop side Apple does very little (nothing?) hardware-wise. That's why I suspect they chose AMD, they probably helped Apple with the 5k controller.

mr_a500

18 Oct 2014, 17:13

Muirium wrote: Mr_A500: you remind me of grumbly Siracusa. Jeez, build a gaming rig! A laptop (and yes, an iMac) makes design choices that are directed very far away from games. (Like mine above.) Dedicated (design free) hardware is the way to go for gamers, always has been.
I'm not a "gamer". I just play the occasional old favourite. No, I was complaining about the fact that you can't even play a 10-year-old game smoothly. Even the original Half-life (1998!!) has jerky slowdowns occasionally. Forget games - scrolling a damn browser window results in jerky movements. I expected better than this.

I don't know how many decades it's going to take to get pure, smooth, lag-free graphics.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Oct 2014, 17:19

Aww, come on, Denise's sprites are pretty smooth!

mr_a500

18 Oct 2014, 17:22

Well yeah. You can get smooth scrolling on an Amiga - and nowhere else.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Oct 2014, 17:29

I could post a video to illustrate this, but the problem is the full effect would only be visible on an Amiga.

Return to “Keyboards”