Favorite (Windows) software?

ne0phyte
Toast.

12 Jun 2014, 20:19

wheybags wrote:I have mixed feelings about neovim...
On the one hand - yes it's nasty ancient c code, on the other - can you not just do all this as part of the main vim project?
No you can't. Bram Moolenaar, vim author & maintainer since day one, said on the vim mailing list that he rather wants "improvements to vim" than a refactoring. But very few people can actually read, understand and modify the vim codebase without breaking stuff. There are also some awesome, big patches for vim that never got accepted for some reasons.
The old code has tons of preprocessor directives and the code is spread over many files with sometimes cryptic names. There is also a lot of redundancy in the old codebase (data structures & functionality wise).

I think that forking vim and working on making it more maintainable was the right only way to do this.

Hypersphere

12 Jun 2014, 20:27

Maybe we should start a thread on the best cross-platform software.

SL89

12 Jun 2014, 20:31

Hypersphere wrote:Maybe we should start a thread on the best cross-platform software.
Cross platform as in software for all different platforms, or just another thread for linuxland and another for mactopia? etc

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2014, 20:52

Last (and first) time I saw the word "Mactopia" was at Microsoft's website, I kid you not, back in 2003 when I bought Office (now supports OS EX!). Also the last time I paid them a dime…

IvanIvanovich

12 Jun 2014, 20:55

As long as the cross-platform software has a native Windows version it is relevant to this topic. No need to split it out of the conversation.

Hypersphere

12 Jun 2014, 22:36

Some software that I use and appreciate because it is cross-platform includes the following:

Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader
ChemAxon suite
Cytoscape
Dropbox
Filezilla
Geneious
Ghostscript
Google Chrome
Google Drive
GraphPad Prism
ImageMagick
iTunes
JMP Pro
LibreOffice
Mathematica
Matlab
Maxima (and wxMaxima)
Mendeley
MOE
MS Office
OpenEye suite
POV-Ray
PyMOL
Python
Quicktime
R
Rstudio
VirtualBox
VMware
YASARA suite

fifted

12 Jun 2014, 23:31

Muirium wrote:That reminds me: Dropbox!

I use Notational Velocity for notes on OS X, but as text is text and Dropbox is Dropbox: my files are completely cross platform. Also use them via Nebulous Notes on iPad. Just as important to keeping me together as email now.
I use ResophNotes on Windows to sync with SimpleNote, which is great for its plain text-ness.

xauser

15 Jun 2014, 13:21

VirtualBox to run Debian

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jun 2014, 18:30

xauser wrote:VirtualBox to run Debian
this is cruel :D

Halvar

15 Jun 2014, 18:36

That's true. You can actually install Debian as your primary OS even on the desktop if you are ready to make some compromises! It has been done before! ;)

scottc

15 Jun 2014, 18:46

xauser wrote:VirtualBox to run Debian
+1 to this :D

PJE

15 Jun 2014, 19:46

A few of the Windows apps I'd struggle to do without are:

Xara Designer Pro. ($)
Interspector - Folding Editor ($) No longer sold! :(
Faststone Image Viewer. (free)
ShadeBlue Indigo Terminal. ($)
Free42 - HP42S Calculator. (Free)
FileZilla. (Free)

Plus lots of programming stuff!

Julle

17 Jun 2014, 16:28

Livestreamer - it is available for Windows, OS X, Linux and *BSD (plus some near-esoteric operating systems).

Livestreamer is a command line utility that allows you to stream content from major streaming sites (justin.tv, twitch.tv etc.) using your favourite video player instead of a buggy, laggy, resource hungry Flash player solution. It also lets you choose stream quality even if quality options are not present in the Flash version of the stream.

Also, annoying ads are absent altogether as you get the raw stream in your player.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jun 2014, 16:39

long shot but... is there a decent shell for windows? (not that half-joke called powershell)

Julle

17 Jun 2014, 16:45

I remember someone recommending Git-bash some time ago, but I never got around to trying it.

JBert

17 Jun 2014, 16:57

In that case, try the ConsoleZ fork (see https://github.com/cbucher/console ) together with Git Bash: http://lostechies.com/jimmybogard/2010/ ... o-console/

ConsoleZ is a recommended terminal even for plain Command prompt or powershell, at least it supports unbounded scaling (for the other features, see its github page).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jun 2014, 17:08

that's very interesting. thanks.

Eszett

17 Jun 2014, 17:51

My top four Microsoft Windows software
- Notepad++
- IrfanView
- PDF XChange 4 Pro
- AutoHotkey

JBert

18 Jun 2014, 21:47

Speaking of shells: did anybody try Clink?

It's supposed to enhance the Command prompt with bash-like abilities, but I haven't really tried it together with ConsoleZ yet as it might not be so stable.

Wiper

19 Jun 2014, 01:20

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Muirium wrote:No love for WinAMP?
I still use that sometimes on another computer. I guess I'm a bit ambivalent but foobar2000 is tastefully minimalist. foobar2000 lacks a raise/hide key binding unlike Winamp, so I've used AutoHotkey for that, but instead of hiding it, the window is left on the taskbar.
Actually, you're wrong on both counts (the lack of a generic raise/hide key binding, and the inability to hide to system tray rather than taskbar)! The thing which makes Foobar2000 wonderful is its customisability, and so it's not too surprising that both those tasks can be achieved without external software or plugins of any kind.

1 - adding a generic raise/hide key binding within Foobar
  • Go to File -> Preference (ctrl - P)
    Navigate to Keyboard Shortcuts
    Click on Add New; the bottom frame should activate.
    Now either scroll down until you find, or type into the "Filter list by" frame, "Activate or Hide".
    Select Activate or Hide, then click on the Key frame at the bottom left.
    Enter a suitable key combination (preferably one not used by other applications, as you'll be making this shortcut global so that it works while foobar is out of focus)
    Click on the "Global hotkey" tickbox.
    Apply, and you're done!
2 - minimising to tray instead of taskbar
  • Go to File -> Preference (ctrl - P)
    Navigate to Display -> Default User Interface
    Tick the "Minimize to notification area" option.
    Apply, and you're done!
With both of those carried out, you've a version of Foobar that minimises and pops out of the system tray using a hotkey, without having to use any software other than Foobar to do it.

Hope that's of some use!

On topic - for me, the programs I always install in a new build of Windows are Foobar2000 (which has been my favourite music player since about 2001/2002); 7Zip; and Sublime Text (even nicer than Notepad++, but less portable and will nag you if you don't pay for it).

And, you know, the Office suite because, frankly, there's still no other piece of spreadsheet software which can match Excel for sheer versatility in both working on and displaying data all in a single package, even if the VBA has to be brute-forced on occasion.

Julle

19 Jun 2014, 01:29

Sublime text is nice but not $70 nice.

Wiper

19 Jun 2014, 02:30

I'd agree with that. It is 'ignore the nag screen that pops up every ten saves' nice, however ;)

They day it drops to £20 or less is the day I'll happily pay for it.

Cherry1990

13 Oct 2014, 01:02

File Commander for Windows. Cannot live in Windows without it...

fifted

15 Oct 2014, 21:39

I'm using FreeCommander, which looks much fancier but gives some of the same functionality. Love the two panes!

cookie

16 Oct 2014, 09:27

I actually use volumouse quite a lot!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 12:13

What email client you people use?

I'd like something slim, fast and able to handle multiple accounts. Mailbird is very nice but it doesn't have an unified inbox. Thunderbird is a hog, anchored to 1995 concept of email :P

ماء

22 Oct 2014, 12:21

i never use software email client anything
usually i use gmail with old theme it's simple & user friendly 8-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 12:28

I want to get rid of gmail, but thanks anyway

ماء

22 Oct 2014, 12:50

:lol: i just know ymail, gmail, outlook(never used)
----------
photoshop
notepad

btw what torrent client do you use? i usually use microtronrent :lol:
i have azures and interested with tixati :P

chzel

22 Oct 2014, 13:26

Opera Mail is quite nice

Return to “Off-topic”