Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

Data

22 Dec 2014, 20:10

barkweed wrote:
blighty wrote: US-produced goods being crap? Possible, but I rarely see any products that are actually produced in the US. Almost everything comes out of China or south-east Asia. US has been a consumer economy for the last 15 or 20 years thanks to cheap labor/products from overseas.
Exactly; the goods designed/engineered in the US but manufactured elsewhere (i.e. Asia) are usually of (very) high quality. I'm talking about the crap (not all of it!) that actually gets manufactured in the US. :mrgreen:

But I digress, and it's probably hyperbole. Sorry.
US-made goods run the full spectrum of quality, good and bad. If you've only ever seen the bad, it might be because we're keeping the good mostly for ourselves. :mrgreen:

jefferai

23 Dec 2014, 02:04

barkweed wrote: But I digress, and it's probably hyperbole. Sorry.
It is, and weirdly contrary to the vast majority opinion, as well as actual evidence.

mashby

23 Dec 2014, 02:53

My final update! Whew.

The following payments have been received for this group buy: zacjor1, jsoltren, Veebers

Has It Shipped?
If your payment came via PayPal, your invoice has been marked as shipped to keep them from locking up the PayPal account. Keep checking this thread for the actual ship date(s).

Additionally, note that the address on your Paypal notifications/notes are not necessarily the addresses 7bit will ship your order to, he ships to the address on your invoice.

Questions?
Either ask in this thread, or PM 7bit.

nsz962

23 Dec 2014, 05:57

Though I don't want to derail the thread, it's already pages long so here goes... I think there are a bunch of things being mixed together here... My take:

* in the US you're more likely to find small operations especially for market niches like SP is filling.
* there aren't consistent quality control procedures or established processes for things like this.
* for these mom and pop shops under-engineering—in process, mechanical, software, electrical, whatever—is common (the customer is the guinea pig—been there a few times)
* you pay your money and you take your chances.

There's no TÜV for car parts here, and probably not even a relevant ISO standard for making keycaps and the like.

Then again even BMW under-engineers their products sometimes and they've also failed from time to time because they didn't verify the products from their own niche suppliers.

Comparing this to Apple products or GE jet engines for example is hugely silly. You can take it as a given that any company with the capability to make things overseas has to put processes in place to make sure they don't screw it up.
Last edited by nsz962 on 23 Dec 2014, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

spopepro

23 Dec 2014, 07:27

Yeah, even at 7bit buy levels, this is still a small, bespoke run of parts. There isn't the volume or margin to make it perfect *or else*. There's a reason why the far-eastern OEMs won't even pick up the phone for boards, plates, caps, or otherwise at enthusiast purchase numbers.

962--Isn't it funny we end up having the same manufacturing discussions in completely different circles and different forums? Maybe we can also start derailing threads by talking denim here... ;)

nsz962

23 Dec 2014, 08:48

spopepro wrote: 962--Isn't it funny we end up having the same manufacturing discussions in completely different circles and different forums? Maybe we can also start derailing threads by talking denim here... ;)
Holy shit, totally recognized your username... :) this is very very funny.

7bit

23 Dec 2014, 09:38

IMPORTANT:

I need a new Google Wallet and PayPal money collector for 2015!

Until the end of this year, I would prefer someone who is located in the EU, because I need some funds here, too.

From 2015 on, preferably someone from the USA again, because we will have to pay for Round 5a, once Round 5 has been finished!

ccc24

24 Dec 2014, 01:55

How is the money being handled for those who sent payments for round 5a? Are you already sending those payments to SP?

JohnVenture

24 Dec 2014, 03:25

Sick fadez ;)

7bit

24 Dec 2014, 19:34

Look what nice stuff I got from Santa tonight:
Round5_boxes_001.jpg
Round5_boxes_001.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8201 times

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 19:40

MERRY OH MY CHRIST THEY'RE HERE AT LAST MASS!!

7bit

24 Dec 2014, 19:43

:o
Attachments
Round5_boxes_005.jpg
Round5_boxes_005.jpg (318.8 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
Round5_boxes_004.jpg
Round5_boxes_004.jpg (321.87 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
Round5_boxes_003.jpg
Round5_boxes_003.jpg (319.09 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
Round5_boxes_002.jpg
Round5_boxes_002.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 8203 times

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 19:49

But they sent them to the wrong forum. It says right there: GREEK HACK!

The dates on those bags look interesting. You can see how long some of this stuff's been waiting. I spot June May frickin' February on one just there!

zacjor1

24 Dec 2014, 20:18

I've been sick for the last couple days, but this makes me feel so much better!

So is this just the keys that have been completed so far?

ray4jc

24 Dec 2014, 20:23

So I'm guessing they didn't have time to fix any of the errors you recently pointed out?

7bit

24 Dec 2014, 20:28

Muirium wrote: But they sent them to the wrong forum. It says right there: GREEK HACK!

The dates on those bags look interesting. You can see how long some of this stuff's been waiting. I spot June May frickin' February on one just there!
I will send them back, right after Cheristmas!!!

I demand that they write DESKTHORITY on the boxes!
:mad:

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 20:39

It's written on all the boxes and all the bags. As far as SP is concerned, You Are Geek Hack! Picture the power… you could bill them for Round 6!

claegg

24 Dec 2014, 20:43

Excuse my impertinence, but can we expect to have the various typographical errors corrected in 5a?

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 21:01

"You must be new here." (I see this is also true.) SP's been making the same mistakes for a loooooooooooooooong time. More realistic to expect them fixed around the Round 5q-t timeframe.

7bit

24 Dec 2014, 21:03

They will be corrected in Round 5. These are about 80% of the order. The rest including remakes, will be delivered in January, or February, or maybe March, if not April, ...
:roll:

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 21:04

Rea y king f rward t my R und 5 de ivery!

claegg

24 Dec 2014, 22:08

Hallelujah! Praise upon the gods of injection moulding and 7bit! We shall prevail… eventually.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

25 Dec 2014, 00:17

Ahh, it's too good to be true! (About 80% so at least!)

I think we can forgive you if you don't get straight in to the sorting. The bot deserves a break too!

7bit

25 Dec 2014, 00:39

I had forgotten to buy Zweckform 3420 stickers, so I can't print the kit labels!
:shock:

But I will first sort them by family (standard, langauge, numeric, function, modifiers, fluff), so no need to print them during the next few days!
:-)

SL89

25 Dec 2014, 05:37

7bit, are HONEYB shipping separately from HONEY leftovers?

rindorbrot

25 Dec 2014, 14:01

:lol: what a nice Christmas present! What's to combined weight of all those boxes?

Mr.Bean

25 Dec 2014, 16:40

Can we see one complete set on a keyboard pls.

7bit

25 Dec 2014, 17:28

SL89 wrote: 7bit, are HONEYB shipping separately from HONEY leftovers?
Yes.
:-)

Because I plan to run HONEYB as PMK-group buy, they will be delivrred before the rest of HONEY ...
rindorbrot wrote: :lol: what a nice Christmas present! What's to combined weight of all those boxes?
Just count yourself!

It says on each box:

Weight: m Lbs
Number: n of 28

rindorbrot

25 Dec 2014, 17:32

but the picture is too low resolution, I can't see the numbers! :P

7bit

25 Dec 2014, 18:03

Attachments
Round5_boxes_101.jpg