Post your desktop.

scottc

20 Jan 2015, 12:24

Looking good. Love the beam spring. Still need a closeup of the orange ALPS caps!

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 12:30

tonight , i promise !

the desk is from ikea as is the chair , they are very good, things to note however

1. The cable tidy at the back of the desk is very good however it could be deeper, don't count on getting power bricks in there, i would get some additional cable holders for them and screw it under the back of the desk.

2. the slide out extension is good but the runners need a good lubbing just like modern MX switch.

3. The chair is amazing BUY THE CHAIR!

4. if you do stack 2 lacracks get something to connect them together they like to move.

5. If you want a 2 table high lackrack get a 3rd table and use the tabletop as a base for your rack. you also have spare legs then if needed.

6. As several mentioned before the grey boxes are ikea boot boxes they fit everything smaller than a 122 F

scottc

20 Jan 2015, 12:41

Which IKEA chair is it? I really wanted to go buy one but it's far away and I'm always too lazy. I really wanted to get a load of the IKEA boot boxes too, just wasn't sure which ones. Sounds good. :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jan 2015, 12:56

impressive setup andrew!

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 13:31

scottc wrote: Which IKEA chair is it? I really wanted to go buy one but it's far away and I'm always too lazy. I really wanted to get a load of the IKEA boot boxes too, just wasn't sure which ones. Sounds good. :D

its the marcus

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101/

they do it in leather and in fabric but they only had horrible red fabric in the ikea where i am

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 13:37

Hmmm. Needs more globes.

ShivaYash

20 Jan 2015, 14:06

mr_a500 wrote: Too much sitting is becoming a pain in the arse - so I made a standing dock for my new notebook:
docking.jpg
(ignore the cheap junk dresser - it was the only thing tall enough I could use)
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, a KEYBOARD throne? I want one.

ShivaYash

20 Jan 2015, 14:07

ShivaYash wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: Too much sitting is becoming a pain in the arse - so I made a standing dock for my new notebook:
The attachment docking.jpg is no longer available
(ignore the cheap junk dresser - it was the only thing tall enough I could use)
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, a KEYBOARD throne? I want one.
Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 13.07.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 13.07.03.png (541.25 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
Apols, had to screen grab it, as it did not show up.

seebart

20 Jan 2015, 14:09

ShivaYash wrote: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, a KEYBOARD throne? I want one.
nope it's a beam spring throne and those are hard to come by! :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 14:14

Seebart's right. He's still waiting on one of my two!

My ultimate plan is to get a 5K iMac and do something in between Shiva's and A500's setup, but at standing height. A500 has more or less the ultimate keyboard — I prefer the "tenkeyless" 3276 beamsprings and so that's what I have — and a nice wee retina screen, but Shiva's got the right size display for the task.

Here's my keyboard, at my brother's, where he's doing it all wrong:

chzel

20 Jan 2015, 15:43

andrewjoy wrote:
scottc wrote: Which IKEA chair is it? I really wanted to go buy one but it's far away and I'm always too lazy. I really wanted to get a load of the IKEA boot boxes too, just wasn't sure which ones. Sounds good. :D

its the marcus

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101/

they do it in leather and in fabric but they only had horrible red fabric in the ikea where i am
I have only nice things to say about that chair!
I have the leather one since 2008 and love it! Only recently has the headrest started to crack and wear a bit, but I have never used anything to protect it, so it's not bad at all!

chzel

20 Jan 2015, 15:47

BTW, the boot boxes are the "HYFS", right?

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 16:04

YES

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40264027/

more expensive than the lack table crazy Swedes

i may get something to protect the headrest of the Marcus, don't know what tho

ShivaYash

20 Jan 2015, 16:05

A nice chair indeed. I was lucky and inherited this rather wonderful chair. Its a beast.

http://www.humanscale.com/products/prod ... thHeadrest

I dread to think what it cost!

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 16:09

that is kind of a sweet chair, i bet you can make that baby fit like a glove

I do like a mesh back tho, herman miller aeron size c with the headrest and lumber support thats the dream but so so expensive, for me the ikea alternative is good enough

chzel

20 Jan 2015, 16:10

andrewjoy wrote: ..more expensive than the lack table crazy Swedes...
Over here the black LACK is €4,99 and the box is €9,99 :o :evil:

Khers

20 Jan 2015, 16:22

chzel wrote:
Sounds just like we have it here, in the home of IKEA. The LACK table is 49 SEK and the HYFS boot box is 99 SEK. Which means that both are actually more expensive in Sweden...

ShivaYash

20 Jan 2015, 16:24

Khers wrote:
chzel wrote:
Sounds just like we have it here, in the home of IKEA. The LACK table is 49 SEK and the HYFS boot box is 99 SEK. Which means that both are actually more expensive in Sweden...
Are these boot boxes ideal for storing KBs?

Khers

20 Jan 2015, 16:27

ShivaYash wrote: Are these boot boxes ideal for storing KBs?
Ideal is rather a strong word. They are large enough to fit most keyboards, but most keyboards will have some additional space in there that is wasted, which means that if your storage is cramped there are probably better solutions.

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 16:27

To be fair the box is better built than the LACK table :D . They have cheapen out on it, the legs are not solid all the way up just at the ends , kind of a pain for rack mounting stuff in them :P they used to be solid all the way up.

Not an issue for me all i will rack mount is a switch ( when i get one. any ideas needs to support LAGG Giabit and be 16 port) and that Sunfire you see onto of the wardrobe, fortunately ikea do universal rack rails as well.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50072645/

Boot boxes are for keyboards yes, i don't have boots i have one pair of shoes and when i need new shoes i buy new shoes

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 20:05

scottc wrote: Looking good. Love the beam spring. Still need a closeup of the orange ALPS caps!

as promised, still a shitty phone camera
Attachments
IMG_20150120_190203.jpg
IMG_20150120_190203.jpg (785.78 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

scottc

20 Jan 2015, 20:41

Nice! :D Which profile are they? They don't match the Dell mods but I wouldn't expect them to. I might have to pick some up...

seebart

20 Jan 2015, 21:39

hmm orange modifiers on a Dell AT101, funky! The sign is good and true.

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2015, 22:25

scottc wrote: Nice! :D Which profile are they? They don't match the Dell mods but I wouldn't expect them to. I might have to pick some up...
To be fair i have no idea what profile they are , the look the same as a standard alps cap form a AT101 or a northgate

Medowy

21 Jan 2015, 10:08

Here's my updated desktop.

- Using Poker 2 with blues at the moment
- The headphones I'm currently using are Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm
- The speakers are Mackie MR5 Mk3

Final Fantasy 14 anyone? 8-) 8-)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Medowy on 21 Jan 2015, 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

seebart

21 Jan 2015, 10:11

that Poker 2 looks familiar... ;)

Medowy

21 Jan 2015, 10:12

seebart wrote: that Poker 2 looks familiar... ;)
I gave it a good home ;)

seebart

21 Jan 2015, 10:13

well at least it's being used now!

mr_a500

21 Jan 2015, 20:59

Muirium wrote: Seebart's right. He's still waiting on one of my two!

My ultimate plan is to get a 5K iMac and do something in between Shiva's and A500's setup, but at standing height. A500 has more or less the ultimate keyboard — I prefer the "tenkeyless" 3276 beamsprings and so that's what I have — and a nice wee retina screen, but Shiva's got the right size display for the task.
Yes, 5K iMac with beam spring would be a great setup. I bought my MacBook long before that 5K iMac was available, otherwise I probably would have gone with that.

My beam spring "keyboard throne" ( :D ) actually works quite nicely for me. I "dock" when I want to type on the luxurious beam spring keyboard and use the trackball, and undock when I want to do lazy couch-potato browsing.

I use the MacBook power adapter box to set the MacBook on. It's the perfect height to rest it slightly above the beam spring keyboard.

Medowy

24 Jan 2015, 14:46

Quick update with a baaaad phone photo 8-)

Return to “Gallery”