deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 17:04

Muirium wrote: I like how your post also illustrates my bug!

What browser/OS is that still affecting?
:D

Firefox 38.0.5 on Win7

andrewjoy

09 Jun 2015, 18:33

people still use firefox ? I jest . I can test this on firefox on OSX if you like

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 18:37

Working fine on TenFourFox. (A Firefox 31 port on OS X Leopard! The only place you'll see me still on Firefox…)

andrewjoy

09 Jun 2015, 18:40

PPC ?

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 18:56

All the way, baby!

Only now it's got one of these in front of it:

Oh yeah, we need to talk about shipping…

andrewjoy

09 Jun 2015, 20:44

14th Mate, that ok ?

That mac is cool. As i think i have said before, we still have one in loyal service controlling lighting . Older mac apps just work , unlike new ones that crash all the time, like apples very own server.app !!! Even considering switching to Server 2012 say what you will about Microsoft, it may be a huge monolith of a system that is needlessly complicated but active directory just works. I wish there was a good linux alternative, i am already errrr taking liberties with the number of windows server licences i have :P

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 20:49

andrewjoy wrote: people still use firefox ? I jest . I can test this on firefox on OSX if you like
I'm not too happy with Firefox. The add-ons are what keeps me in. On Mac I'm using Chrome, since the fox looked really out of place.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 20:53

You switched browsers because of the app icon? That's the sort of crazy that keeps me on the Mac! I replace TenFourFox'a horrible icon with a nice one from the iconfactory.com although they messed up their website lately alas.

@Andy: Doesn't everyone?

Lazy shipping works for me. As you can tell by that NMB of yours I've still got in America!

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 20:59

Muirium wrote: You switched browsers because of the app icon? That's the sort of crazy that keeps me on the Mac! I replace TenFourFox'a horrible icon with a nice one from the iconfactory.com although they messed up their website lately alas.
No, no 8-)
I meant the UI in general. Just said "fox" to not repeat "Firefox".

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 21:05

Well there's that too! I used to use Firefox way back in 2003-2007 or so. It was a very decent browser in its younger years. And I used addons furiously. Not so much any more. On a modern system I run Safari and a couple of extensions. Safari's the only one that looks right on OS X.

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 21:07

Sorry, can't live without my vim navigation keys :ugeek:

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 21:11

There might be an extension for that. Inflexibility kept me off Safari for years, but that all changed a while ago.

andrewjoy

09 Jun 2015, 22:15

wlhlm wrote: Sorry, can't live without my vim navigation keys :ugeek:

https://github.com/guyht/vimari

SL89

09 Jun 2015, 23:38

Mu is that your daily driving PC?

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 23:51

andrewjoy wrote:
wlhlm wrote: Sorry, can't live without my vim navigation keys :ugeek:

https://github.com/guyht/vimari
I'm a Vimperator fan. :evilgeek:

Unfortunately, the other browsers don't allow that degree of customization and Vimium is rather lackluster. :|

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jun 2015, 00:07

Pentadactyl here.

wlhlm
~

10 Jun 2015, 00:20

Hmm, intertesting. Never actually tried it, simply because of the lack of updates. But it looks like this isn't valid anymore. Have you tried both?

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jun 2015, 00:46

Try the nightly builds: http://5digits.org/nightlies
Not sure why they never update the main download.

I tried both, there's quite a bit of history between them (main devs of vimperator left to start pentadactyl). Not sure about current state of affairs.

wlhlm
~

10 Jun 2015, 00:49

Thanks!

wlhlm
~

19 Jun 2015, 10:50

wlhlm wrote:
002 wrote: Not sure if this is known, but the quick search feature at the top of the page doesn't draw properly if you bring it up twice in the same session.

First click is fine:
Spoiler:
first click.jpg
Then click it again to dismiss the form, and once again to bring it back up and:
Spoiler:
second click.jpg
Still not 100% fixed:
Untitled.png
Problem still exists.

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2015, 12:59

Here's a good example. I named my photos for a change.

http://deskthority.net/post237057.html#p237057

Perhaps it's triggered by spaces in file names?

wlhlm
~

19 Jun 2015, 13:07

I was talking about repeatedly clicking the search popup.

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2015, 13:09

Oh, well I don't get that one. Works fine here.

Dud quoted attachments meanwhile…

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 19:12

This is not a suggestion or changelog just a comment. But whoever designed this whole forum (I'm assuming webwit) designed it so well. It is the only website I enjoy looking at. GH is terrible, and Reddit ranges from terrible to just meh. But DT is very well done. So thanks.

This is a suggestion. 'Night Mode' literally the same as everything is now. But inverted. I don't / can't invert my screen to just do that. But I'd really like a Graphite (black and grey) theme to be the inverse of Classic (white and grey.)

Muirium
µ

20 Jun 2015, 19:27

This has in fact come up before…

http://deskthority.net/post218243.html#p218243

I can definitely see the need for it. But sounds like a lot of work for our IT department, which is just one duck. Especially fixing the ways it will likely break some stuff, like embedded videos and such.

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 19:33

I dont want it to invert everything. Videos would remain unphased. Just the 'theme' of the site. Much like GH has various themes, and you can use custom CSS in reddit and have 'night mode.' I know it would be a lot of work, and I know it's been brought up before. I just wanted something equally good looking to the Default theme, but darker.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jun 2015, 19:38

So at what time of the day does night mode kick in?

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 19:38

I'd say have it set manually as opposed to a specific time.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jun 2015, 19:40

Activate it yourself then? It's optional then which would be better. That's one thing hate about GH. Their dark background and that hellish font color. It's like some Gothic place.

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 20:03

That's what I meant by manual. Also I agree, Muirium inverted things, I just wanted a darker theme that looks as good as black on white.

Return to “Deskthority talk”