Great/Interesting Finds

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jun 2015, 16:43

webwit won't change it anyhow. I'm pretty sure.

dzhoou

29 Jun 2015, 16:53

sth wrote: y'all gettin' salty :maverick:

and i like it 8-)
Well, the point is, do you really have to salt the forum for general users and then sugar coat it as a form of "benefit" for club members? What have you improved for the forum after all?

I thought we are past the age of paywalls in a goddamn forum. This approach will go nowhere, at least to me.

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 16:55

dzhoou wrote:
sth wrote: y'all gettin' salty :maverick:

and i like it 8-)
Well, the point is, do you really have to salt the forum for general user and then sugar coat it as a form of "benefit" for club members? Very much a improvement to the forum overall.

I thought we are past the age of paywalls in a goddamn forum. This approach will go nowhere, at least to me.
Like I said I think that's webwit's opinion on this also, so don't worry dzhoou.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2015, 17:20

I have never advocated any kind of restriction,
but on the other hand it often sucks to see what is posted here.

On the one hand keyboards listed in eBay's "Keyboards" category with "Cherry" in the title find their way here,
on the other hand obscure jewels which else nearly nobody would have found (like the one photekq will now not get).

I often wonder why people post certain things here,
but obviously they do so only when they don't want them themselves.

Halvar

29 Jun 2015, 17:25

kbdfr wrote: I'm not sure this is irony :mrgreen:
Dialectics is the word. :mrgreen:

I guess in the end there is no good way to limit visibility of the thread to "just the right grade". The ones who bid high on rare items will always do what is necessary to see the thread, and I'm against using this to inflate the club.

I'd be fine with restricting it to registered users, but I'd vote for keeping it as it is and hope for common sense on the side of those who decide whether to post or not to post certain items. Posting the rarest items will generally lead to a bidding war and a very high price, so I will personally try to refrain from posting these.

Slom

29 Jun 2015, 17:46

This is the best thread of this whole forum :) Without it, i would not have joined this forum at all. Still I have not bought a single item listed here. I just enjoy the show ... dont take it away from me. Also consider that I dont normally log into forums just for reading.

Kind of sad to see a group of grumpy collectors abuse their freedom on this forum to try to restrict the freedom of other users (be it guests or lurkers or the people posting here).

Can somebody check how many users even had more than 15 posts in the last year, so we know the size of the ivory tower we are about to build.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jun 2015, 17:50

seebart wrote: Like I said I think that's webwit's opinion on this also, so don't worry dzhoou.
This is officially not really my role in admin anyway, but 002's (the club master) :lol:
In any case we're a democratic club, if a member really wants a change, just start a vote.

Slom

29 Jun 2015, 17:51

kbdfr wrote: On the one hand keyboards listed in eBay's "Keyboards" category with "Cherry" in the title find their way here,
on the other hand obscure jewels which else nearly nobody would have found (like the one photekq will now not get).
Did he even know about it without this thread?

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 17:57

Slom wrote: This is the best thread of this whole forum :) Without it, i would not have joined this forum at all. Still I have not bought a single item listed here. I just enjoy the show ... dont take it away from me. Also consider that I dont normally log into forums just for reading.

Kind of sad to see a group of grumpy collectors abuse their freedom on this forum to try to restrict the freedom of other users (be it guests or lurkers or the people posting here).

Can somebody check how many users even had more than 15 posts in the last year, so we know the size of the ivory tower we are about to build.
There is a lot more to DT than this thread. Of course I do not know how interested you actually are in mechanical keyboards. If you simply enjoy this thread for it's entertainment value. Fine.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Jun 2015, 17:59

Slom wrote: Did he even know about it without this thread?
I wouldn't have known about it!

I don't think people should stop posting things here. Sure, it may annoy a few people who had their eyes on something, but usually you can stop things from being posted by PMing the most active posters (guk, seebart, kbdfr, derzemel, etc.)

It's just when it comes to delicate situations, like that mopar system.. Where it was available for 300$ but did not have a clear shipping option so nobody could BIN. Things like that should be kept a secret and be bought by the person that finds it, or if the person who finds it is not interested they could maybe PM one person that they know is interested in the item.

I say this because when things like this get posted here there is usually a barrage of messages sent to the seller. The seller then gets greedy and bumps the price up to an absurd amount ($1200 in this case). It really does not help anyone. The seller will now probably try and sell it around $1000 for months even though it is probably in really bad condition, and eventually he will sell it not too far from his original listing price.

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 18:07

back to topic:

Robotron K8924

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tastatur-Robotro ... 2a533ec294

Apple Extended Keyboard II und Qtronix Scorpius 90

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-Extended-K ... 33a4e69769

"Terminator" Painted Cherry MX Keycap. topre ibm model m artisan 3D key

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Terminator-Paint ... 25a8b85e28

G20 eSports PBT Keycaps 60% Blank Set Cherry MX (ANSI!)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/G20-eSports-PBT- ... 28024fd6a1

Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Stealth - Cherry MX Green

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cooler-Master-CM ... 1ea0969989

IBM PC AT Model F 84 Key Keyboard Buckling Springs

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-IBM-PC-A ... 2ee2d7c4ab
Last edited by seebart on 29 Jun 2015, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2015, 18:15

901867-01 wyse is rubber dome

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2015, 18:15

Slom wrote: Kind of sad to see a group of grumpy collectors abuse their freedom on this forum to try to restrict the freedom of other users (be it guests or lurkers or the people posting here).
If by "grumpy collectors" you mean me (I can't remember the word "grumpy" being used for anybody else :mrgreen: ),
please consider the following:
  • read what I wrote a few weeks ago:
    kbdfr wrote: […] I have no solution other than to expose my views again and again. I am against any form of prohibiting such postings, and I do not wish to make this thead a confidential one.
    I'd just like people to reflect on what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what impacts it has.
  • the word "old" (as in "grumpy old collectors") is missing in your post :lol:

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 18:20

andrewjoy wrote: 901867-01 wyse is rubber dome
thank you, it's out.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

29 Jun 2015, 18:41

Slom wrote:
kbdfr wrote: On the one hand keyboards listed in eBay's "Keyboards" category with "Cherry" in the title find their way here,
Did he even know about it without this thread?
Thanks for being the first one to ask that question. Funny how others will jump to conclusions when nothing indicates that photekq knew about it before.

I would've loved to get an industrial ssk, it's one of my absolute favorites, next to a kishsaver. I considered asking the seller if he'd be willing to ship solely the keyboard and keep the rest of the MDS but then decided against it as I didn't want to give him any ideas. So I posted it here after I failed to find a member from Minnesota by browsing the member list.
I'm sure there are some, but it takes quite a while to find members by location and I simply was too tired to keep trying, especially on my phone.
There were ZERO people watching the listing, and unless one was looking specifically for that item, it wasn't too obvious a find. The way some of you guys react makes me wonder if you'd have preferred a garage owner to buy the whole package and not have some keyboard enthusiast at least get a shot at this beautiful ssk this way.

:roll:

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 18:45

Once something like that get's posted here you cannot expect anything guk. It's sad, but ture.

dzhoou

29 Jun 2015, 18:50

Prelim

29 Jun 2015, 18:51

seebart wrote: back to topic:

"Terminator" Painted Cherry MX Keycap. topre ibm model m artisan 3D key

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Terminator-Paint ... 25a8b85e28
I would love to have a Terminator cap, but that looks awful. Does anyone know a proper Terminator cap (like the darth vader)?

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

29 Jun 2015, 18:54

seebart wrote: Once something like that get's posted here you cannot expect anything guk. It's sad, but ture.
You're right, but would keeping it a secret really increase the odds of another keyboard enthusiast finding it before someone who is actually looking for the complete sytem? Who happens to be from Minnesota and can just buy it and pick it up? I don't know.
Rather wanted to make use of all the attention this thread gets and hoped that someone who's into keyboards as much as myself gets it.
Yes, it didn't work.

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 18:59

Well this one was a very unusual case. I did know that those mopar systems used those SSK's btw. Too bad.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

29 Jun 2015, 19:08

seebart wrote: Well this one was a very unusual case. I did know that those mopar systems used those SSK's btw. Too bad.
Yup, guess a lot of people around here know about it, being the same model Ellipse has/d up for sale. But that's the case for lots of things. You usually still have to look it up manually or get spammed to death by 99,99% useless ebay notifications.

Slom

29 Jun 2015, 19:17

seebart wrote: Well this one was a very unusual case. I did know that those mopar systems used those SSK's btw. Too bad.
Thats one of the positive points of this thread: learning what to actually look for. Would not work if only the boring stuff was posted :)

Slom

29 Jun 2015, 19:26

Prelim wrote:
photekq wrote: RIP my dreams. I guess a few people PMed that guy with the mopar. He upped it from 300 to 500, then from 500 to 1195.

Nice.
eish, that sucks :/

I honestly think that sometimes it's better not to share things here, also because those who came here and snipe those items rarely are active forum users :(
How do you know that? What makes you believe that lurkers are more likely to get active here?

Sed8op8

29 Jun 2015, 19:46

It is already stating sold out. I would have been very hesitant to go for that anyways as $105 w/free shipping from hong Kong sounds to good to be true :shock:

I mean I know they are cheaper there but that seems a stretch.

Slom

29 Jun 2015, 19:47

kbdfr wrote:
Slom wrote: Kind of sad to see a group of grumpy collectors abuse their freedom on this forum to try to restrict the freedom of other users (be it guests or lurkers or the people posting here).
If by "grumpy collectors" you mean me (I can't remember the word "grumpy" being used for anybody else :mrgreen: ),
please consider the following:
  • read what I wrote a few weeks ago:
    kbdfr wrote: […] I have no solution other than to expose my views again and again. I am against any form of prohibiting such postings, and I do not wish to make this thead a confidential one.
    I'd just like people to reflect on what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what impacts it has.
  • the word "old" (as in "grumpy old collectors") is missing in your post :lol:

kbdfr, sorry for implying that you could want to "censor" this topic when in fact your posts said exactly the opposite :(

My excuses are:

(1) I think that by implying that
kbdfr wrote: non-DT members
and
kbdfr wrote: Deskthority members (who) never posted after registering
are the problem [*], you are indirectly leading other members to suggestions like "15 posts per year" or "50 posts overall".

Like a clever politician only needs to mention the right problems, and people will come up with the "correct" solution all by themselves. (I do not think that what you actually wanted to achieve, it's just the "impact" your postings had)

(2) As a non native speaker I rarely can use such cool words like "grumpy", so I had to take this chance

(3) I could not really resist this opportunity to summon you. Luckily it worked even though I missed half of the important words :D

[*] I would rather assume that the active members are more inclined to react to interesting postings here, IF we assume that there is a positive correlation between interest in old keyboards and being active on this forum, and there also exists a positive correlation between interest in old keyboards and reacting to these postings

seebart

29 Jun 2015, 20:32

Slom wrote:
(2) As a non native speaker I rarely can use such cool words like "grumpy", so I had to take this chance
:D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Jun 2015, 21:13

Well, maybe this will make kbdfr happy: I (hopefully) have a Tipro board headed my way soon. :)

Touch_It

29 Jun 2015, 21:35

XMIT wrote: Well, maybe this will make kbdfr happy: I (hopefully) have a Tipro board headed my way soon. :)
I promise you do! Shouldn't have an issue getting it in the mail tomorrow morning.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Jun 2015, 21:46

I picked up a board with Blue Alps. :D

HzFaq

29 Jun 2015, 22:18

Lucky.

I got a 2.50 Apple Adjustable Keyboard, quality as expected, but I did discover something quite fun....
20150629_210046.png
20150629_210046.png (635.48 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
I call it the ErgoDerp, it works and is surprisingly comfortable if not being exactly practical...

Return to “Other external”