Aluminium Filco/Phantom Case - PROTOTYPE PICS IN!!!

rindorbrot

19 Sep 2013, 23:54

Why is there no board in it yet? Get to work and build that keyboard!
But it looks really nice.

Dubsgalore

20 Sep 2013, 05:06

Literally so excited for this final buildlog ;)

Daniel

20 Sep 2013, 14:01

This turned out really nice :) Do you already have any keycaps in mind, that you want to use with it?

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2013, 14:11

Love the brass. Anyone got the tooling to do brass caps these days?

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Sep 2013, 16:13

Daniel wrote:This turned out really nice :) Do you already have any keycaps in mind, that you want to use with it?
Original black on beige cherry ANSI with windowed lock keys. Also, dolch from originative.
Muirium wrote:Love the brass. Anyone got the tooling to do brass caps these days?
I have already made brass keycaps. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=459 ... #msg991423

Also, the case weighs 3.35kg (including switch plate, but not including pcb/switches/keycaps etc). I am just waiting for a few more things and then I will start building.

Ascaii
The Beard

20 Sep 2013, 17:25

Wow! I love it!

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2013, 17:39

photekq wrote:
Muirium wrote:Love the brass. Anyone got the tooling to do brass caps these days?
I have already made brass keycaps. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=459 ... #msg991423

Also, the case weighs 3.35kg (including switch plate, but not including pcb/switches/keycaps etc). I am just waiting for a few more things and then I will start building.
Ooh! A whole set of those and you could hit 5kg! Real keyboard territory.

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Nov 2013, 15:49

So, I still haven't assembled it, as I'm waiting for one or two soldering supplies. However, I did get the switches together and put them on a plate (did this a while ago, and forgot to post here), and today I put some keycaps on to see how it will look once finished. These switches are absolutely amazing. Nixdorf "Soft Touch" blacks with the original Cherry clear switch tops, modified to 55g. Keycaps are from a G80-1191, hence the beige F1-4 and F9-12.

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Nov 2013, 15:56

Also, my machinist uploaded a video of some of the case being made :

Spharx

23 Nov 2013, 16:35

Guess the machinist is quiet proud of his work too. How much in total do you had to pay for this beauty ?

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Nov 2013, 16:36

Spharx wrote:Guess the machinist is quiet proud of his work too. How much in total do you had to pay for this beauty ?
I cannot actually remember anymore. I believe, including anodising + laser cutting + shipping, it was £500. I think machining+metal was about £350? A very reasonable price indeed, considering the hours of work that were put into it.

Also, I will take some nicer photos soon with better lighting.

Dubsgalore

23 Nov 2013, 19:05

Those nixdorfs look dreamy...and the *assembled* board looks fantastic

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Nov 2013, 19:15

Took some better photos + BSP RGB

Took some better photos + with BSP RGB.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2013, 19:21

That's more like it. A no bullshit slab of TKL! A case like that I can only dream of. It's as solid from the sides as the top. Full Metal Jacket!

Re: The Nixdorfs. With clear shells like that, it'd be a shame not to put LEDs in this board… switches from the time when Cherry was even smarter about that as Matias is now. Mounts and transparency.

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Nov 2013, 19:45

Muirium wrote:That's more like it. A no bullshit slab of TKL! A case like that I can only dream of. It's as solid from the sides as the top. Full Metal Jacket!

Re: The Nixdorfs. With clear shells like that, it'd be a shame not to put LEDs in this board… switches from the time when Cherry was even smarter about that as Matias is now. Mounts and transparency.
I'll be putting a few LEDs in. The lock keys for sure, and maybe a few others (on the KMAC PCB at least).

And yes, 'slab' describes it perfectly :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Jan 2014, 05:57

solidworks 2013 files can be found here : http://jessica.gladosdan.com/TEK80CAD/

ran into problems with pcbs (phantom still is not here) which is why there are no finished photos.

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 Jan 2014, 22:56

So last week my Phantom arrived.. after months of waiting. It's all soldered together and working. I'm just waiting for a breakout board + a cable and then it'll be done.

I will take nicer photos when it's 100% complete, but until then..

WizardKing

13 Aug 2014, 11:06

Hey Photekq,

Did you end up releasing these CAD designs? I would really like to get one of these made.

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Aug 2014, 11:11

WizardKing wrote: Hey Photekq,

Did you end up releasing these CAD designs? I would really like to get one of these made.
Yes, the Solidworks 2013 files are available here : http://jessica.gladosdan.com/TEK80CAD/

I recommend that you change the files a bit. Make the case lower, and give it a bigger angle if you want.

WizardKing

13 Aug 2014, 11:14

Hi awesome!

Yes I had planned on that. Im going to get it hydro dipped with some crazy print.

WizardKing

13 Aug 2014, 11:17

Forgot to say thanks! :)

Also what thickness do you recommend for the plate?

Thanks

Dan

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Aug 2014, 11:18

WizardKing wrote: Forgot to say thanks! :)

Also what thickness do you recommend for the plate?

Thanks

Dan
1.5mm :)

No problem! Any questions let me know.

Grond

13 Aug 2014, 12:26

Any pics of the finalized keyboard? ;)

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Aug 2014, 12:27

Grond wrote: Any pics of the finalized keyboard? ;)
Hey Grond, I posted them in the photos&videos section a while back. You can see them here :) : http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/the-tek-80-t7412.html

There are some different photos earlier in this thread too ;)

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Dec 2014, 15:09

photekq wrote: Yes, the Solidworks 2013 files are available here : http://jessica.gladosdan.com/TEK80CAD/

I recommend that you change the files a bit. Make the case lower, and give it a bigger angle if you want.
Are the files somewhere available? I would like to play a little bit :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Dec 2014, 21:00

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Dec 2014, 21:11

Thanks!

Return to “Workshop”