pasph

13 Jun 2013, 00:52

http://www.powersafe.it/index.php?main_ ... &cPath=195
3-4A 20-30Volt?
Do your math i can be in for 3 cases

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2013, 15:46

So, this 15 x 7u case… if I design a plate, can I leave blank spaces instead of filling in the entire area with caps? Might play around with separate blocks of keys, given the larger canvas. Pics of the case / components would be nice too.

Still thinking aloud here. If the Mini Taobao falls through, I might have enough to cover this instead. Bluetooth is a calling me…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jun 2013, 16:14

This is the case.
20130614_161020_.jpg
20130614_161020_.jpg (96.43 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
Of course you can have empty spots.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2013, 16:17

Now that's a matrix!

What did you have in mind for the case when you made it?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jun 2013, 16:21

I bought it for the MX Blues, if anyone is interested in the case I'll gladly present it to him, otherwise I'll trash it.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2013, 16:47

Can't say it's my style. I'm kind of intrigued what it was for, though. It's like someone built their own Tipro. Or tried.

Paranoid

18 Jun 2013, 21:12

I quickly made a mockup in a couple of minutes to illustrate what I think would be useful for me :)
I was thinking of something like this, with extra buttons on the left for shortcuts or F-row keys like the KMAC mini.
On the right I'd have the arrow keys and some extra shortcut keys or delete/home/end keys. The right side modifiers were something I quickly made up since not a lot fits in there :) This is a layout that seems convenient for me at work.
kb-layout_Para_01.png
kb-layout_Para_01.png (31.33 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
I also tend to use the numpad enter on my fullsized keyboard a lot when I'm mostly clicking, copying and pasting. I hit it with my right hand thumb ^^ So I could make something like this:
kb-layout_Para_02.png
kb-layout_Para_02.png (48.74 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
Also I don't know if it's possible to add spacing between the colums like on the real kmac mini, like this:
kb-layout_Para_03.png
kb-layout_Para_03.png (31.57 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
I could possibly work out something else on the right side as well then if that's an option. I quickly used your template file btw, I hope you don't mind :) And don't mind what's on the keycaps, I got lazy and only did a few haha :D I also have no clue why there's so much white space on the image... First time I tried Inkscape lol

pasph

18 Jun 2013, 23:38

Add 1 more column on the left and it will be perfect for my left-handed son!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jun 2013, 00:20

Paranoid wrote:Also I don't know if it's possible to add spacing between the colums like on the real kmac mini, like this:
sure it is possible, why not?! :D

Halvar

19 Jun 2013, 00:39

pasph wrote:Add 1 more column on the left and it will be perfect for my left-handed son!
Nooooo!

I'm left-handed myself and have the mouse to the left of the keyboard, and I have to say I'm very happy with the way standard keyboards are layed out -- works out great for me with the mouse being really near to the home position. I use mouse and cursor keys at the same time whenever I navigate in texts.

If he has to enter numbers very frequently, maybe get him a separate numkey pad for the left side of the mouse. If he doesn't, actually a fullsize keyboard is fine, perhaps a more compact layout if he likes it. But the main reason for TKL and smaller keyboards, namely having the mouse nearer, just doesn't apply to lefties.

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2013, 00:50

Indeed. I've tried being a lefty with the mouse for just this reason. Can't say I've had much success though. Odd, as I'm pretty good with my left hand at most everything else. Touch typing this by left thumb just now, in fact! Preferred.

Custom keyboards = truly custom layouts. Columns and rows wherever you like. You just need enough space for a Teensy under a key in Matteo's thin layered Steely design. That means my tiny space bar plans are on the backburner. But otherwise go wild!

pasph

19 Jun 2013, 01:25

Halvar wrote:
pasph wrote:Add 1 more column on the left and it will be perfect for my left-handed son!
Nooooo!

I'm left-handed myself and have the mouse to the left of the keyboard, and I have to say I'm very happy with the way standard keyboards are layed out -- works out great for me with the mouse being really near to the home position. I use mouse and cursor keys at the same time whenever I navigate in texts.

If he has to enter numbers very frequently, maybe get him a separate numkey pad for the left side of the mouse. If he doesn't, actually a fullsize keyboard is fine, perhaps a more compact layout if he likes it. But the main reason for TKL and smaller keyboards, namely having the mouse nearer, just doesn't apply to lefties.
He has learned to use the mouse on the right side so those 3 left columns are handy for numpad and/or arrows.
I tried to encourage him to use both hands in the same way because most of the tools, even those potentially dangerous, are not symmetrical.
But obviously he writes with his left hand.
I would not be able to use a left numpad.

JBert

19 Jun 2013, 09:55

You could make an Fn layer so that Fn + F1 = numpad 1, Fn + F2 = numpad 2 and so on.

The only question is then where F11 and F12 would be placed, as those are sometimes necessary.

Paranoid

19 Jun 2013, 10:05

matt3o wrote:
Paranoid wrote:Also I don't know if it's possible to add spacing between the colums like on the real kmac mini, like this:
sure it is possible, why not?! :D
I don't know :p maybe you only wanted to laser cases that were completely open at the top or something ^^
JBert wrote:You could make an Fn layer so that Fn + F1 = numpad 1, Fn + F2 = numpad 2 and so on.

The only question is then where F11 and F12 would be placed, as those are sometimes necessary.
In my case I don't need it to be a numpad :) And I also never use F11 and F12 btw :D I think it would become too big of a keyboard again if I would do this ^^ but maybe for lefties it could work.

JBert

19 Jun 2013, 11:39

Wel, I sure need F12 when using Eclipse. I bound it to Fn + F1 / F2 on my XT, as that keyboard already has a numpad.

Halvar

19 Jun 2013, 12:42

pasph wrote: He has learned to use the mouse on the right side so those 3 left columns are handy for numpad and/or arrows.
I tried to encourage him to use both hands in the same way because most of the tools, even those potentially dangerous, are not symmetrical.
But obviously he writes with his left hand.
I would not be able to use a left numpad.
Oh, I see. As he has the mouse on the right side some more additional keys on the left do make sense.

pasph

20 Jun 2013, 22:56

Another layout (just for fun)

Muirium
µ

20 Jun 2013, 23:32

All these matrices really tempt me to do something radical. Reusing top row for letters and numbers is quite nifty. I'd throw the common symbols found up there, like asterisk and parentheses, into some other layer so I wouldn't have to chord so hard to get them. But Q and A on the same column as <> instead of Z? That's the kind of thinking that makes me wonder: why stick with QWERTY?

Meanwhile, I've got a bad case of Dolch envy.
Not all those keys are what their caps say they are! But I'm sure they will look quite dashing on aluminium.

pasph

21 Jun 2013, 01:32

Muirium wrote:Meanwhile, I've got a bad case of Dolch envy.
Not all those keys are what their caps say they are! But I'm sure they will look quite dashing on aluminium.
Gorgeous

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jun 2013, 20:39

whitefox caps retrobrighted!

I thought they were beige but they came out totally white. So proud of them :)
20130621_201414_.jpg
20130621_201414_.jpg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 5100 times

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2013, 20:42

Where did these come from?

All brightened up they've got the fresh bright look of a white HHKB. Especially in no nonsense Helvetica.

pasph wrote: Gorgeous
Thanks. Judging by how many people have signed up for the GB, I think Dolch will be in fashion this fall for sure.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jun 2013, 21:27

Muirium wrote:Where did these come from?

All brightened up they've got the fresh bright look of a white HHKB. Especially in no nonsense Helvetica.
from the same keyboard I have on the taobao GB. They look like new, tomorrow I'll design the plate. Looking forward to seeing it completed :)

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2013, 21:41

Clicky Matias + in a 60% + custom metal case + those keys = a pretty sweet little fox.

What caps are going onto your (parallel development) MX build? Dolch DSA, by any chance?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jun 2013, 23:07

Muirium wrote:Clicky Matias + in a 60% + custom metal case + those keys = a pretty sweet little fox.

What caps are going onto your (parallel development) MX build? Dolch DSA, by any chance?
the brownfox? well, DSA Retro of course :) but now I also have Dolch... greyfox I guess :)

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2013, 23:22

So you've got the Taobao Alps donor and a tasty set of Dolch DSA set aside for the pipeline? Don't want it running dry now.

Speaking of supplies, 7bit is finally ending his MX switch discount in a few days. My design has 63 keys. Have you got enough blues spare for me not to trouble your production line, or should I order up the greens I've long been thinking about?

My quandary is that I've never typed or even toyed with an MX green. I have one MX white from Mr. Interface which, if I understand, has the same heavier spring as a green but a quiet click instead. It feels fine to my fingers, in what trivial tests I can do with just one switch. I am intrigued by the sound of them…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jun 2013, 00:09

you can't really say how a switch feel until you try it on a keyboard. for example ML low profile switch feels decent when you try it, but on a keyboard it's pretty crappy.

I have some greens around that I use for spacebars, if you like stiff switches, go for them! (remember to take some spares!) I should have enough blues for you anyway.

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2013, 00:30

Thanks Matteo. I think I might as well get the greens and try both…

As for ML, I do have one of those too and really don't like it at all. I quite like scissor switches when it comes to short travel keyboards, frankly. ML feels like a poor compromise.

Buckling springs definitely remind me of ancient times when I used to type on those, without even realising these were quality keyboards. I'm keen to see what you've got in mind for your recently found Model M.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jun 2013, 08:33

the ML was just an example to say that switches that you may like pressing outside of a keyboard you may not like on a keyboard. Anyway I don't think you'll have troubles selling the greens if you don't like them.

Today I'll work on the Model M!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Jun 2013, 14:26

brownfox rear feet!
20130624_123851.jpg
20130624_123851.jpg (219.38 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
tomorrow I should receive all the missing parts for the project!

Muirium
µ

24 Jun 2013, 14:30

Well alrighty then!

I'd been meaning to ask about feet. With a flat case and flat profile keys, they're quite important for getting the angle right. Adjustment?

Return to “Workshop”