[?] cutting keyboard plates (phantom etc) cashwise

off

14 Apr 2012, 22:40

Anybody care to share how they had their plates cut? And how expensive that turned out to be?
Seeing how geekhack is down and my googlin let me down too; the Phantom plate for instance, how/where was that done?

I'm interested since I'm looking to have one cut for me, don't see my dremeling do it precisely enough; and the one source I thought was gonna do it for me for free ended up not being able to cut alu/steel at all.
Why I'm even looking at cutting a plate, is, 7bit selling plate mounted switches, and me wanting a matrix/staggered collumn layout. So reusing boards is either costly and dumb, or not possible.

So as far as I know, the plate needs to be 1.5mm thick, at least at all the spots the switches click into place, and thus for rigidity either aluminium or steel; and even then probably needs multiple posts underneath it to reduce bounce.

Gimme all those succes/horror stories! :D
For me, I jumped on the switch MO to get a feel for all mx's on the cheap so I could order a proper keyboard afterwards. Already have spent 200 on keys/parts/boards so far, and still have the case and plate to go. So that works out. :?
*edit: changed title to reflect the main aim, minimization of costs.
Last edited by off on 21 Apr 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Icarium

15 Apr 2012, 09:51

One option is always to take a board with a layout you like and cut the plate to fit your needs.

Kurk

15 Apr 2012, 11:06

off,
I also want a mounting plate custom-cut for a special layout. I haven't ordered anything so far and it will probably take a few months before doing so considering the pace at which my projects go. However, I was looking for places where I could order custom plates. It seems like you're living in NL, too. The "Cut Company" looks like it could do the job (BTW, funny name for a Dutch company). They take all kinds of digital formats and even hand-made drawings.

nathanscribe

15 Apr 2012, 11:20

If you want anything in aluminium or acrylic, I've used Schaeffer a number of times, and the results are always good. You can download the panel designer software from the site and it takes just a little time to get used to. Some while ago I wondered if it would be interesting to make a whole keyboard case out of layers bolted together - an lo, what happens? :lol:

dirge

15 Apr 2012, 11:21

What special layouts you guys thinking about?

off

15 Apr 2012, 14:51

nathanscribe wrote:Some while ago I wondered if it would be interesting to make a whole keyboard case out of layers bolted together - an lo, what happens? :lol:
You forgot ergodox (awrite, still in planning, but still- layers ftw) ;)
And Icarium, hence my wording 'expensive or dumb' on reusing a matrix/staggered collumn board- will be costly to aquire such a board only to sacrifice it...

Oh and 'KutKompany' would've been fun indeed, in case they went the 'hip' route of using the hard K for kutting :P

Also, have you gotten a quote from cutcompany ?
And Nathan, what was the damage in your case(s)?

nathanscribe

15 Apr 2012, 16:45

off wrote:And Nathan, what was the damage in your case(s)?
If you mean cost, back in 2007 I had a plain alu plate about 300x160mm cut, with about 40 holes of various diameters milled out, and that came to €25. I also had a 3mm black anodised panel made with a few more holes, plenty of engraved and infilled legends in three colours - it was about twice the size and cost €89. Prices will have risen since then, I have only had small items from them since and not for a good three years or so. Schaeffer charge based on combined fixed costs for thickness, finish, quantity of milling, engraving, infilling and colour changes for the ink. If you download the software you can design a panel and preview cost it - which means it's easy to design down/up to a cost before submitting.

off

15 Apr 2012, 16:53

that's 25 ex shipping i bet :P

But yeah, cheers. Already grabbed the s/w before the post, just fishing for experiences basically.
Oh, if anyone has any interesting plate diagrams, feel free to post 'em, though the wheel will forever be reinvented ;)

nathanscribe

15 Apr 2012, 18:22

off wrote:that's 25 ex shipping i bet
Yep, and five years ago. Expect to pay more.

off

16 Apr 2012, 13:03

Sucks.
So after a quick test of phantom-like switch-mount-holes in a sheet of 1.5mm alu in schaeffer's design tool; per hole they will charge 0.53E. This might be minimized a bit once their calculations are more clear, but I don't expect to reach 45c. And this is excluding setup, material, taxes and shipping. Simply put, just one plate would end up at around E130,- shipped.
Quest not over yet.

bpiphany

08 Jun 2012, 11:09

Cutting? Plate? Get your router out for some precision work =D No, I gave up on that pretty soon... Water or laser cutting is the way to do it.

Icarium

08 Jun 2012, 11:31

PrinsValium: Great to see you around here again. So what's that in the picture and what are you trying to tell us? :)

bpiphany

08 Jun 2012, 11:42

That was just some very early prototyping for a straight column layout. It sort of worked. Cutting strips out of a plywood board, only just wide enough to hold the switches in place. There are very good reasons to have a proper plate and PCB though =) Soldering wires to switches is very tedious.

My hobbies usually come and go in phases. I've been learning more about micro controllers and other things lately. Still keyboard related in this case though. And I as well as everyone else am just sitting around waiting for those darn phantoms to ship =) And I've had a lot of other work to do as well. But summer probably means more time for hobbies again...

off

08 Jun 2012, 11:49

Phantoms? rather they'd stay away!

:P
Sadly the tedium has it's pros as well, since only with a pcb-less wiring setup you can remove switches without desoldering..
Which isn't really needed anyhow if you get a proper plate with phantomcuts..

7bit

17 Jun 2012, 23:24

For PCB cutting, ask CeeSA and MrInterface. They do this all day.

BTW, it seems the phantom parts will not arrive before the keyboard party ...
:-(

Mrinterface

17 Jun 2012, 23:28

7bit wrote:For PCB cutting, ask CeeSA and MrInterface. They do this all day.
Actually, It's Ceesa who is the PCB cutting wizard here. I'm only an expert ( lately ) on removing keyswitches from their PCBs...

off

19 Jun 2012, 14:07

It's about the plates, not PCBs. I don't even plan on using one.
Shapeways seems to be an option (see suka's thread), but am still curious on metal plates (biniaris seems to be the wizard in that regard).
Honestly though, haven't made any efforts in those directions lately.

Return to “Workshop”