dismantling a futaba

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Jul 2014, 11:39

does anyone have experience dismantling a futaba switch in a not destructive way?

there are 4 rivets on the top of the switch, it seems you need to remove those, but can the switch be closed back?

thanks!

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Jul 2014, 00:54

I would assume that you could clamp and glue it afterwards. From the very few pictures I've seen, I don't think there's anything else that holds it together but those rivets.

The mini Mitsumis are worse: I can't figure out how to get one apart without tearing whole pieces off it, which is what I had to do. The Futabas look like you could carefully drill or cut the rivets and then replace the top with lots of glue, enough to withstand the spring force.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jul 2014, 08:22

thanks, that's what I thought. I could epoxy glue them back, even though it seems a little risky, if glue slips inside, bye-bye futaba :)

QWERTim

12 Jul 2014, 10:55

Getting ready for the next project? Think you have a lot of work ahead!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jul 2014, 11:06

a lot indeed!

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Jul 2014, 13:36

I hope you don't have a large supply of Futaba keyboards that you're keeping to yourself ;-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jul 2014, 13:47

LOL. just one (but with Cyrillic legends) :) and in very bad shape, it will need a lot of love to make it shine back to lost splendor. I wanted to convert it into a 60%. I don't know...

I should get it in a week or so.

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2014, 14:46

Ah, "not yet". Show us the case and we will judge you for your wisdom or your rashness for wanting to chop it into shape!

I have the same desire to mod an NMB RT-102 that I got in a recent trade, as it feels superb and has a fairly yellowed case anyway. Plus the controller is not behind the numpad, so I could TKL it in theory. But it's too nice for me to really consider taking to a saw…

QWERTim

17 Jul 2014, 15:01

Muirium, I think it's best that you don't see the state of which the keyboard was sent to Matteo! It was not nice!

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2014, 15:10

Fortunately, he knows how to conduct the Sacred Cleansing Ritual. But he is a busy bot these days, with a CNC especially.

Return to “Workshop”