Phantom mod of Filco Plate possible?

Ostrich

20 Sep 2015, 22:59

Hello pals,

I want to switch mod my Filco MJ2 without having to resolder switches ever again, thus I want a phantom plate.

I wonder though, is it possible to dremel the holes in the plate myself without destroying my Filco or Dremel?
How thick is the plate and what kind of metal is it?

Thanks,
Ostrich

chzel

20 Sep 2015, 23:13

If you mean modding the stock Filco plate to enable switch opening, it should be doable with a file or dremel, but it's probably not worth it.
The stock Filco plate is 1.5mm thick steel. Probably carbon steel, so not too difficult to work with.

Ostrich

21 Sep 2015, 08:10

chzel wrote: but it's probably not worth it.
Thanks, but what do you mean by that?

andrewjoy

21 Sep 2015, 16:56

It will take a long time. Not only will you have to desolder every single switch ( not an easy task with this shit lead free solder they use nowadays) but you will have to file every single switch cutout on the plate, paint it to make it look nice and then reinstall every switch ( with proper 60/40 this time).

Just buy a phantom plate.

chzel

21 Sep 2015, 17:44

And in the easy scenario you need to file two notches for each switch cutout. Or four if you want to be fancy.
So it is either 174 notches or 348 notches. Done with some accuracy of course. After you desolder all switches. And then you need to repaint the plate and reassemble the keyboard.
I got tired and overwhelmed just writing it. Depends on your determination.

Return to “Workshop”