QUICKFIRE TK LED MODDING

cowman

27 Aug 2015, 18:28

Is there any way I can change the led colors on my quickfire tk keyboard? I was trying to find some type of switches that had a led built into them but wasnt succesful. My current quickfire tk color is blue and I haven't modded my keyboard at all. I would like to change the WASD colors to green. Any help would be appreciated!

flabbergast

27 Aug 2015, 20:26

Changing LEDs means you'll need to desolder the ones that you have there right now, and put in new ones. In principle you should be able to use any LEDs that fit (either 3mm round lipless, like the ones that you probably have there right now; or 2x3x4mm rectangular ones). However it would be good to see what resistors are used in the keyboard right now, just to make sure that the new leds won't burn out too quickly.

EDIT: Changing the switches would actually mean even more de/soldering, since you'd need to 1) desolder the LEDs and 2) desolder the switches after that.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 21:47

If you're confident with a soldering iron, you should be able to swap out a few LEDs and drop in replacements. It will be fiddly, mind. And Flabbergast is right: you need to match size and current.

Better find an electronics friend! Desoldering LEDs when they're slotted inside switches isn't too easy.

Return to “Workshop”