Tunning an M spacebar for an IBM F

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 12:48

Hello,

one of my 107s have a damaged spacebar.
I wanted to use an M bar, but as you may know, the size of the stabilizer is thicker in the M than the one in the F
If used, the F stabilizer will be loose in the M bar:
Spoiler:
DSC_9840.jpg
DSC_9840.jpg (387.21 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
DSC_9838.jpg
DSC_9838.jpg (549.15 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
I read a post in which washer were used to hold the M stabilizer.
My solution has been a different one.
I fill the hole completely with epoxy. When it was solid, I drilled a hole of the size of the F stabilizer. The result works very nicely.
Spoiler:
DSC_9914.jpg
DSC_9914.jpg (826.4 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
DSC_9915.jpg
DSC_9915.jpg (558.49 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
I should have cleaned the excess of glue with a cutter blade. But to be honest, I did not notice the excess until I zoom into the pictures.

Hopefully this is useful for some others.

Cheers

i$
Last edited by idollar on 11 Apr 2015, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Apr 2015, 15:27

Quite a novel idea.

Since F spacebars and wires are rare and M bars and wires are common, most mods adapt the F barrel frames to accommodate M gear, hence the home-made tabs and washers. I usually add M-sized tabs to my F mods in hopes that it will make them more future-proof.

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 15:33

fohat wrote: Quite a novel idea.

Since F spacebars and wires are rare and M bars and wires are common, most mods adapt the F barrel frames to accommodate M gear, hence the home-made tabs and washers. I usually add M-sized tabs to my F mods in hopes that it will make them more future-proof.
The beauty of this solution is that it does not modify anything that is not available today. So it is always possible to go back,
A pre-requisite is to have the wire.

Mal-2

11 Apr 2015, 20:11

idollar wrote: The beauty of this solution is that it does not modify anything that is not available today. So it is always possible to go back,
You can fabricate a wire from an appropriately sized paper clip, a couple pairs of pliers, and patience, and once again, nothing (but a paper clip) is lost if you fail.

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 20:16

Mal-2 wrote:
idollar wrote: The beauty of this solution is that it does not modify anything that is not available today. So it is always possible to go back,
You can fabricate a wire from an appropriately sized paper clip, a couple pairs of pliers, and patience, and once again, nothing (but a paper clip) is lost if you fail.
That's also a good idea. The video that I saw in youtube seems to be more complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8IpiIgwxo

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Apr 2015, 00:31

Of course, the amazing wcass created the most elegant solution of all, when he used tiny metal tubes as sleeves to enlarge the ends of the F wires to fill the M holes.

I have looked hard but I can't find it, a couple of years old, probably.

Touch_It

13 Apr 2015, 17:41

fohat wrote:Of course, the amazing wcass created the most elegant solution of all, when he used tiny metal tubes as sleeves to enlarge the ends of the F wires to fill the M holes.

I have looked hard but I can't find it, a couple of years old, probably.
Very elegant. However I am not. I borrowed the idea from someone, can't quite remember this morning, but I used heat shrink tubing on my model f wire. Works quite well. Small break in period as I didn't use a small enough wire but cheap and easy.

14 Apr 2015, 03:39

That was from me. 1/4" piece of heat shrink on the ends of the F wire to allow it to fit in the M spacebar.

Mal-2

14 Apr 2015, 04:07

Touch_It wrote: Very elegant. However I am not. I borrowed the idea from someone, can't quite remember this morning, but I used heat shrink tubing on my model f wire. Works quite well. Small break in period as I didn't use a small enough wire but cheap and easy.
If the difference is that minimal, might a couple layers of nail polish do the trick as well?

Touch_It

14 Apr 2015, 04:09

I don't see why not. I think it would take a fair amount of coats and I couldn't comment on durability.

15 Apr 2015, 03:25

Model M on top, Model F in the middle / bottom. They aren't that different. Just different enough that the M wire is too thick to fit under the F retainers on the barrel plate and the F wire is too thin to mount in the tabs on the M spacebar.

Return to “Workshop”