deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

7bit

09 Feb 2011, 00:12

keyb_gr wrote:OK guys... Now that I'm in, let me note a few things:
2. My eyes weren't particularly amused when trying to read threads. Those look about as comforting as most any hospital, too. Thus I had to do a little, err, redesign (user stylesheet via Stylish). Still a bit rough round the edges, but should get the point across.
The name- and ID-less DIV with inline styles that contains this background image hack job is temporary, I guess?
Attachments
blinding_colors.png
blinding_colors.png (8.96 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2011, 00:19

keyb_gr wrote:1. This site needs a mission statement in an obvious place (preferably where even yours truly would find it).
Yes, I was thinking on the home page in place of the "Jump: Home" bit, which is not really useful on that page.

Suggest a catchy mission statement in 1 or 2 lines below!

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2011, 00:21

keyb_gr wrote:The name- and ID-less DIV with inline styles that contains this background image hack job is temporary, I guess?
Probably..first concentrating now on cleaning up the private messages area.

Crazy9000

10 Feb 2011, 05:12

Would it be possible to get a "go to first unread post" to the left of all applicable threads (before you open them)? Most forums use a little arrow or something for that. It's kind of annoying to open the thread then click go the first unread :).

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Feb 2011, 07:18

Yep, seems there is an addon for this. Really don't know why this is not a base function in PHPBB. It should be!

itlnstln

10 Feb 2011, 14:26

One more suggestion, could we get a link to the mainpage at the bottom of every page? There's a link back to the current forum, but if I have read everything in the forum and want to go back to the main page, I have to scroll all the way back to the top to click the banner.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Feb 2011, 14:29

Yeah, good idea actually. Should be easy too. Will look into it later tonight.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2011, 14:35

Replace Return to Offtopic (example) with another Jump to: Home » Other » Offtopic as seen at the top of the page.

itlnstln

10 Feb 2011, 14:40

That would be perfect.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 22:26

Kind of added this now. Its still displayed kinda weird. Will fix it in a bit.

itlnstln

14 Feb 2011, 14:12

Works well. Thanks.

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 17:48

I have another suggestion, but this one is extremely minor. Could links in posts, especially external links, default to open in another window? I wouldn't put this high on the priority list, but it does get annoying from time to time. Thanks.

Minskleip

15 Feb 2011, 18:07

I think it's more annoying when links open in a new window when you don't want it to, and there's no way to force it to open in the same. Opera has this feature though.

bugfix

15 Feb 2011, 18:36

Wouldn't it be better to let it open in a new tab instead of a whole new window?

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 18:39

bugfix wrote:Wouldn't it be better to let it open in a new tab instead of a whole new window?
Well, yeah, but is there a standard to do that (if so, can you share the code)? I just have my browser open new windows in tabs. Chrome does this automatically.

bugfix

15 Feb 2011, 18:40

Code: Select all

target="_blank"
?

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 18:42

target="_blank" opens a new window. The browser (and any user-defined settings, if any) opens it in a new tab.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Feb 2011, 18:56

bugfix

15 Feb 2011, 19:03

Doesn't really apply to a forum though imho

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 19:04

Point taken, but I disagree with the author's point wholeheartedly. The "back" button is evil. If you're on the same site, that's one thing, but moving to other sites is something else. Also, as a website owner, you shouldn't want people to leave your site. Not opening external links takes people away from your content. Whatever, I think most programmers are pedantic and lazy, and the vast majority program for the code's sake, not for the end-user's experience and business objectives. Keep in mind, this was not directed personally towards you, sixty, but programmers like that guy should be out of a job. Bottom line, as "the business," I want a specific user-experience, and I could give a fuck about your code and standards.

keyboardlover

15 Feb 2011, 19:14

IMHO, proper software design should always be inclusive of the user experience. Good code/design should never be exclusive of the user experience and I see no reason why it would ever have to be.

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 19:21

keyboardlover wrote:IMHO, proper software design should always be inclusive of the user experience. Good code/design should never be exclusive of the user experience and I see no reason why it would ever have to be.
This. And for clarity, I was more disagreeing with the author in terms of his unwillingness to consider his employer's/commissioners' wishes. It's one thing to point out obvious problems, make suggestions, etc.; sometimes there are valid arguments there, but to all-out be like, "no, fuck-off," is unacceptable. On top of that using his personal preference and "the code" to back that up is even worse. If I'm paying him to build me a site, and I want something to work a certain way, "the code," "standards," etc. is bullshit. My response is, "figure it the fuck out."

keyboardlover

15 Feb 2011, 19:27

Prbly a victim of the old school siloed app mentality which is not easy to break out of. We had to fire someone last year for that reason.

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 19:34

To me, that's the fun part of building a web app. I'm not a programmer by trade, so I am not the greatest coder in the world, but sometimes, I run across a problem that I don't know how to solve with the skills I have, so I have to go "figure it out." After Googling, researching, whatever, I end up learning something new, and I get familiar with it, so if I need to do something similar, I can take apart the code and modify it for new tasks. I enjoy the challenge of the whole thing even if the end result is fairly mundane.

keyboardlover

15 Feb 2011, 19:41

Ok, I finally read the article. I don't get it - that guy is still worried about standards compliancy? I thought that whole "CSS and XHTML blah blah" compliant thing went out of style years ago. It doesn't really gain you value as a developer or otherwise and in some cases it impedes the kind of things you can do. Using target="_blank" is considered GOOD design in cases where you have any links that link OUTSIDE of your site! That guy definitely seems dumb.

itlnstln

15 Feb 2011, 19:48

Call me old, but I wonder why target="_blank" is not compliant. Hell, I was using that in the early to mid-nineties on my Geocities site for college.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Feb 2011, 19:50

itlnstln wrote:Call me old, but I wonder why target="_blank" is not compliant. Hell, I was using that in the early to mid-nineties on my Geocities site for college.
<blink><marquee>that is probably why!</marquee></blink>

my eyes still hurt just from the memories.

keyboardlover

15 Feb 2011, 19:56

There's a lot of stuff that's not compliant. It doesn't really make any sense and that's why no one really cares about it anymore. Especially when ajax came along. Talk about non-compliant javascript!

Minskleip

15 Feb 2011, 19:59

Forcing new windows on mobile devices is very bad I think. It's really annoying to have to close a window on my phone, and much slower than to push back. The phone browser should obviously not follow _blank, but some do.

keyboardlover

15 Feb 2011, 20:06

I disagree. The challenge is on Mobile Phone OSes to be able to handle multiple windows better. Droid's browser and the new iPhone handle it well.

Return to “Deskthority talk”