Alps Party 60%

scottc

24 Oct 2015, 10:31

Any updates?

BlueNalgene

25 Oct 2015, 00:28

Updates. Sorry I've been neglecting you DT, I swear I still love you baby.

All but one of the invoices are paid. I'm having a hard time contacting that user, so I may just have to write it off as a loss.

I had a small problem with Paypal. From the geekhack thread:
So according to paypal, my 'business' is doing well. That means they are going to hold all of my money for 21 days before I can use it. Awesome, right? What this means for the GB is very little. I am going to probably push back the Matias order by about two weeks. I expect I won't receive the PCBs before then, so there is no cause for alarm. No delays in the shipping to participants is expected.
Since all of my orders from DT were paid promptly, all of your orders got to me before Paypal put the delay on. Thanks for being reliable! To reiterate the point, the delay won't affect my soft expected shipping date, so no worries.

Hasu has received the PCBs and is currently working on soldering:

The plates have been ordered from the cutter, but they appear to be a little backed up.

Switches and stabs will be ordered as soon as I figure out what is going on with this last delinquent account. I discovered I could save money on the switch order by increasing the order volume. That causes an issue. From the geekhack thread:
So I've done a little math, and I realized that it is actually cheaper to order more switches. The current order means I would need to get 2200 click, 4600 quiet click, and 1400 linear. This comes to $1,548. If I was to order something larger like 2600 click, 5200 quiet click, and 1800 linear, then we would hit the 9600 price reduction target. That total order is $1,344. This presents a problem though.

This is a non-profit group buy, and I have already charged you. The opportunity to save this money didn't happen until after the order form was closed, the main invoices were sent, and people scrambled to put in last minute orders. The average participant who ordered switches overspent by $5.75 with the max overspending being $20 for one user. But this money saved will be coming as more switches. So I need to correct this somehow.

There are some options

1. I could refund the money saved by moving to a lower price. The total I would need to pay back is $368. The majority of it would be paid by money donated to me during the sale, but I would still be paying out of pocket to refund.

2. I could send everyone extra switches. This would just give everyone bonus switches with their order. The downside is that the numbers generally wouldn't be large enough to fill out another board. This makes the switches kinda useless unless you order more from Matias or you just break a BUNCH while soldering.

3. The fun option. I could send everyone silly trinkets. I could use the money saved by ordering more switches to make some stickers, 3D printed pullers, or other lightweight fun thing to include in the order. I would probably toss a few extra switches to everyone as well. The bulk of the extra switches I would use as donation. The switches or money made from selling them at cost would be used as a donation to a cause we can agree on (e.g. EFF, Destiny, server funding, etc.).
If you made an order with switches, I encourage you to give me input on which option you prefer. There is a poll on GH, but I can just listen to opinions since there is a comparatively small number of users who ordered switches here. I would like to point out, that if option 3 is chosen any donations to server costs will be made to each site in proportion to the users hailing from there. i.e. the donations wouldn't just be going to GH.

And that should bring you folks up to date. Let me know if you have any questions. I have this thing hooked up to email me as soon as DT summons me with a PM or reply.

HzFaq

27 Oct 2015, 14:53

I don't have any switches in my order, but I always appreciate silly trinkets.

I don't suppose that remaining unpaid order is a PCB/AEK plate combo is it? I might be interested in picking it up if so...my dad's keyboard is looking a bit manky and in need of an upgrade.

HzFaq

09 Nov 2015, 14:53

Sorry for the double post, but this is going to be pretty relevant to this; hasu has knocked up a keymap editor gui for Alps64.

http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/edi ... index.html

scottc

09 Nov 2015, 15:58

Hey Blue, any update on plates? I'm really itching to get mine started! I'm also moving house soon so if it's not sent very soon I'll need to change my address.

Muirium
µ

09 Nov 2015, 16:04

Let's say my interest in this has just been boosted:

BlueNalgene

09 Nov 2015, 17:29

Ach, I'm so bad about updating here. This was posted on Friday in the GH thread:

Good news folks.

I was in Tulsa today, and things worked out such that the laser cutters had the prototype finished today. So I paid them a little visit. I was able to meet up with the guys that are handling the cutting, shake hands, and approve the workmanship. I was amused meeting with my contact, because I finally put together that the shop is part of a high-end grill company. So while I waited for him to come to the front I could take a look at some of their other culinary oriented creations. Check out the photos:

The edges are nice and clean. I was happy with how they turned out. The close up on the second picture here shows the quality well. The focus there was the small hole for the stabilizer inserts near the bottom of the plate for the spacebar. That edge is only a few mils thick. They were a little worried about it using the laser, and for good reason. The edge near that point is slightly blackened from the localized heating with less area with which to sink. However, there was no warping in that location and the quality of the part is still great.

The finished plates will look slightly less dull as well. The pictures I took were before the plate was sent to the "Timesaver" to polish and grind the steel. The final product will have more luster and a somewhat brushed appearance - like the finish you would see on a high-end grill.

I regret not getting a photo of me shaking hands with my contact though. I wore my Techkeys shirt in case the opportunity arose.
scottc wrote: Hey Blue, any update on plates? I'm really itching to get mine started! I'm also moving house soon so if it's not sent very soon I'll need to change my address.
Good luck with your move. Send me a PM if you want to change your address. I expect with the long shipping time to the Eurozone it would be wise to change the address with a month of wiggle room.

BlueNalgene

13 Nov 2015, 01:53

Updates!

Plates - due to be complete by Nov. 23
PCBs - In the mail from Hasu, not sure on arrival date yet
Switches/Stabs - Scheduled delivery Nov. 16

Time to get excited.

BlueNalgene

22 Nov 2015, 03:48

Updates for the DT crowd. Switches and PCBs arrived in the mail this week:

Model M for scale.

PCBs came in an adorable little wooden crate.

I sorted caps tonight. All 9600 are in the bags where they need to go.

Just look at that primo product.

You know, they say you aren't supposed to get high on your own supply, but sometimes you need a little something to keep the buzz going.

The next step is putting boxes together and making labels. Also, I need to select the winners of the artisan cap giveaway.

neverused

22 Nov 2015, 04:12

I know that this is a long shot but is there an extra pcb and plate available? I'd love to get in on this since I had never touched an alps switch until just the other day.

BlueNalgene

22 Nov 2015, 04:16

Sed8op8 on GH was trying to sell her spot because she has a lot of stuff going on. You should contact her. I do not have any extras, myself.

scottc

27 Nov 2015, 17:58

What's the status of the plates? I'm (finally) ready to have mine sent!

BlueNalgene

27 Nov 2015, 23:38

The plates are cut, and I will pick them up on Monday. Plates will also be sent for powder coat (if applicable) on Monday. This is a holiday weekend, so it is causing some delays.

As per the decision to deal with the lower prices on switches, there are silly extra things being made right now. I have designed a converter to allow Cherry caps to be used on an Alps switch, and those are being 3D printed right now. At least one will be included with every order. I have also ordered a set of custom vinyl stickers which will be included with everything. Those two orders are expected to arrive on the first few days of December.

My goal is to have everything posted by Dec. 10th. (hopefully earlier)

scottc

14 Dec 2015, 21:56

Woot, just seen the previous post. So excited! Any news on shipping yet? I saw on GH a while ago that you were planning on shipping by the 10th.

BlueNalgene

14 Dec 2015, 22:47

I was hoping to ship by the 10th, because I had an excursion planned. Alas, not everything arrived in time, so the shipping will wait until I am back in the US. My new goal is before Christmas.

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2015, 03:41

Okay, so I'm not technically in this party. But I do now have a PCB, straight from Hasu, and a set of AppleDesign caps to put on it, presuming they're a supported layout:
Hasu's Alps 64 and AppleDesign Caps.jpg
Hasu's Alps 64 and AppleDesign Caps.jpg (281.46 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
Sure, the caps are only lasered. But I've more where they came from. Think AEK and AEK II. I'd rather use these first, though. As my AEK's will feel the cold!

I'll unwrap the PCB in a bit to see for myself what layouts it can handle. But I didn't today, as Hasu made such a nice wrapping job. It's backed by a matching piece of wood!

Halvar already set me up with the perfect switches:

Only, I left those at home. So this project won't be finished any time before February.

What I'm still looking for is a plate and a case. Then I've a mad, succulently clicky wee Apple 64!

scottc

19 Dec 2015, 11:14

A case should be easy to come across. I can recommend this one, from China. It'll take about a month to arrive, but it's cheap as chips and almost exactly the same as the stock Poker one.

If you're feeling adventurous, there are also clear and pink ones too.

BlueNalgene

21 Dec 2015, 04:47

Update:

I have successfully gone to and returned from Canada for my little trip, despite the best efforts of a very grueling customs experience. Since my return, I have organized the rest of the shipment. I ran out of packing peanuts, so there is still some minor filling to do, but that is pretty much done. Monday I will begin the process of stamping and sending the CONUS packages and I will begin filling out the customs forms for the INTL packages.

The add-on trinket I had 3D printed arrived, and the parts work. The fit is tight on some due to the nature of the 3D printing process, but they work. If the extra material proves too tight for the cap you are trying to use, you can always scrape the cruciform with a knife to loosen the fit.

They came in a printed shell to hold the 100 free bits from escaping

And the juicy things were within

The winners of the custom caps have been picked. The method I used to choose the winners was, rolling 2d10 die (one for each digit) gave the number of a row on my spreadsheet. The spreadsheet rows were not in any particular order, and the die have been acceptably random in the past. The winners will be kept a surprise until the package is received. You will know if you have won, because in the ziploc with the 3D printed part there will be a medicine bottle with the cap in it.

The current leftovers which I will be selling off are:
3 stab sets
~1800 quiet click switches
~250 linear switches
~350 click switches

These will be sold first come first serve. Some people have already PM'd me asking for them, and I will be replying to them all tonight. If you buy things now, you avoid extra shipping charges because I can just throw them in with your first box.

Kuang2

25 Dec 2015, 07:04

Hi all,

I just receive PCB from Hasu, and take some picture:

Just wonder does any have plate for AEKII left. I do not know about this GB, so do not have plate now.

Thank for reading

BlueNalgene

31 Dec 2015, 04:34

Thanks for posting pictures here guys. I love to see the progress.

Update:

All packages from me unless other arrangements were made have been sent. Tracking numbers were all sent via email by hand moments ago. Get excited folks!

scottc

08 Jan 2016, 12:51

Package arrived yesterday but all of the contents were gone. Damaged in shipping somewhere in the USA, once it arrived to Poland the envelope was broken and the plate had gone missing. :( So disappointing. I'm talking to Blue about getting my money back from USPS though.

Has anyone else in Europe gotten theirs yet?

flabbergast

08 Jan 2016, 14:07

I got it without problems (to UK).

I'm very excited about the matias switches (all three types), I don't think I can go back to Cherries ;)

EDIT: If anyone's got a spare hasu's PCB, or infinity PCB, I'm interested in buying it...

HzFaq

11 Jan 2016, 10:38

Mines been sat at Heathrow for a week according to USPS tracking...wondering when I'm going to get the inevitable customs punch in the nuts.

scottc

11 Jan 2016, 11:03

Hold up a second, where did you get a Durex-branded backspace keycap Kuang2?!?
HzFaq wrote: Mines been sat at Heathrow for a week according to USPS tracking...wondering when I'm going to get the inevitable customs punch in the nuts.
UK Customs are expert-level nut punchers... good luck!

flabbergast

11 Jan 2016, 13:20

Another one, this setup seems to be quite popular:
... with Matias Click switches. Also samples Quiet Clicks and Linears, and I don't think I can go back to MX switches. Someone's got to make AlpineFox a reality!

scottc

11 Jan 2016, 13:25

Very nice, flabbergast! Is that a clear Poker case from Aliexpress?

All these pictures are so nice, they're making me really bemoan the loss of my plate... :cry:

flabbergast

11 Jan 2016, 13:53

Nope, it the clear acrylic TeX case (from MD ... /shudder). You can recognise those by the "fat lip" in the front.

Muirium
µ

11 Jan 2016, 17:29

Hmm. I should probably look into cases again while I'm still outside of the EU import tax gulag enlightenment area.

Tips? Opinions? I'll be using similar caps again! AEK is in this season.

scottc

11 Jan 2016, 17:33

My tip: China!

Muirium
µ

11 Jan 2016, 17:36

By bicycle? I mean, it's kinda big…

Return to “Group buys”