Alps Appreciation

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Mar 2017, 02:40

Menuhin wrote: Then SKCM creams, similar to blues, are clicky?
No, tactile. And in my opinion the best alps switch.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Mar 2017, 02:46

Mattr567 wrote:
SKCM Creams can come with black switchplates?

yup
not sure where Cream fits in.
Well, I suspect that they run parallel to browns and oranges, since creams only come on specialized boards (Canon Typewriters and NeXT Non-ADB). The creams that come with black switchplates are from early typewriters. All the NeXT boards come with tall grey or tall white switchplates.

Chyros

22 Mar 2017, 08:03

Menuhin wrote: The RGB color theme was beautiful:
- Brown (Reddish brown) as tactile
- Green as linear
- Blue as clicky

They could have modified the color into different shapes to represent different versions and weight, like how Zealios is doing to their purple MX switches. But then Gold Star joint the party and messed up this color theme. :roll:

Then SKCM creams, similar to blues, are clicky?
No, SKCM cream are tactile.

One thing I always found funny is that somehow all manufacturers agreed blue means clicky xD .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Mar 2017, 08:08

Right, that's one question I bet we'll never answer: why did what manufacturer choose a certain slider color for a certain switch?

alh84001
v.001

22 Mar 2017, 14:34

Not spaceinvaders :P

No, wait.....They have a blue(ish) clicky variant as well.

Harshmallow

22 Mar 2017, 17:07

//gainsborough wrote:
Mattr567 wrote: Hmm, not sure if it's the last round but it says to get your orders in by 3/31/17. I would check with him.
update: the 3/31 deadline is only for round 1 - we will be able to order a keyboard after 3/31 later this year!

BTW, I just wanted to point out that the '31' date deadline on the site has been pushed back many times. It has read 12/31, 01/31, 02/31, 03/31(now) - so depending on how things are going at the factory, that date may still not be solid for first round deadline.

Menuhin

22 Mar 2017, 19:22

Tuntematon wrote: Cream is a contemporary of Blue, so we can lump it in with the original group. Wiki has a photo of some official documentation:

But it looks like they may have just overlapped near the end of Blue production, so that doesn't really clear things up.

Those Canon typewriter Creams must make them at least as old as Orange, no? I dunno, I'm finding I'm not all that concerned about smoothing out the remaining details of the Alps timeline. I'm pretty happy with what we know :D
Now I looked at the photo more carefully, and found they're both 'tactile' but there is note "with sound" under blue Alps.
That means theoretically they wanted to create cream Alps with specs similar to blue Alps but without sound.

Harshmallow

22 Mar 2017, 19:37

Chyros wrote:
Menuhin wrote: The RGB color theme was beautiful:
- Brown (Reddish brown) as tactile
- Green as linear
- Blue as clicky

They could have modified the color into different shapes to represent different versions and weight, like how Zealios is doing to their purple MX switches. But then Gold Star joint the party and messed up this color theme. :roll:

Then SKCM creams, similar to blues, are clicky?
No, SKCM cream are tactile.

One thing I always found funny is that somehow all manufacturers agreed blue means clicky xD .
To me, this kinda just seems like what everyone did back then - copy IBM. In this case, everyone copied a then-large switch manufacturer's clicky switch color - Alps! Unless one of these clickies actually came before SKCM Blue, but I don't believe so..

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Mar 2017, 19:45

Menuhin wrote:
Tuntematon wrote: Cream is a contemporary of Blue, so we can lump it in with the original group. Wiki has a photo of some official documentation:

But it looks like they may have just overlapped near the end of Blue production, so that doesn't really clear things up.

Those Canon typewriter Creams must make them at least as old as Orange, no? I dunno, I'm finding I'm not all that concerned about smoothing out the remaining details of the Alps timeline. I'm pretty happy with what we know :D
Now I looked at the photo more carefully, and found they're both 'tactile' but there is note "with sound" under blue Alps.
That means theoretically they wanted to create cream Alps with specs similar to blue Alps but without sound.
SKCM cream is pretty much a tactile SKCM blue, and that is why I like it so much. sililarly weighted, and also sounds very similar. I would honestly say it is the best sounding alps switch. has the nice deep sound of the blues, just without some of the click. Not a quiet switch by any means, but it is not as loud as blues. I can do a little sound comparison soon, as I have a board with SKCM blue coming in the mail tomorrow or friday.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2017, 19:57

//gainsborough wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Magnavo ... SwCU1YyvwA

Well then, I rolled the dice with this one. I couldn't pass it up because of it's price. The number on the back of the case though is 8625, which I presume is a serial number (though I guess it could also be a date). The 250 that cumwagondeluxe (holy shit I can't type name that without smirking like an idiot) bought, which for sure has brown alps (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAGNAVO ... 7675.l2557) has a number on the back that reads 8628, so I figured I was safe. Guess I'll find out in a week or so.

This month has absolutely destroyed my wallet.
UPDATE: it's SKCM brown =) Super clean as well! Has anyone successfully converted these keyboards to PS/2 or USB?

rominronin

22 Mar 2017, 20:41

I just received my custom 60% plate for use with my MQC switches. It's the first time I've toyed with an entire board full of them and I think they're really great. I have a couple of questions, I hope that it's ok to ask them here:

Firstly, the plate feels flimsy in comparison to the 1.5mm plates I'm used to with my custom MX boards. Is this normal? What kind of material do I need to ensure the 1.2mm plate is strong enough? If my current supplier doesn't have them, where in Europe can I get them for a good price?

Next I'd like to ask about AEKII caps. I ordered some a very long time ago and they've not yet arrived. I'll continue waiting, but I HAVE reached the stage where I'm considering buying another set. Where can I get an ANSI set in the EU for a good price?

Aside from AEKII caps, and the currently still active lightcycle set, what are my options? Are there any close ups of the Matias caps? The store pictures are very small and poor.

That's it for now, thanks!

Menuhin

22 Mar 2017, 20:44

It didn't reveal in those previous posts: the switch color under those arrow keys of the videowriter board.
My guess is that they were also greens.

Scarpia

22 Mar 2017, 20:46

//gainsborough wrote: UPDATE: it's SKCM brown =) Super clean as well! Has anyone successfully converted these keyboards to PS/2 or USB?
Congrats Gains! You got your hands on a bunch of clean SKCM Browns at a great price, doesn't get any better than that. The Emperor of Tactile Alps. Kudos on a successful gamble.

Scarpia

22 Mar 2017, 20:48

Menuhin wrote: It didn't reveal in those previous posts: the switch color under those arrow keys of the videowriter board.
On my Videowriter 250s, those big retarded arrow keys have had SKCM Brown under them like the rest of the board (apart from the CapsLock and the half-sized function keys at the top).

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2017, 20:52

Yup mine are brown as well.

@scarpia The arrow keys are hilarious! I like pressing down in the center of the giant plus sign and pretending it's one GIANT key, haha.

Scarpia

22 Mar 2017, 21:05

Gains: If you can do that and the keys don't bind like crazy then you have yourself a pristine Videowriter 250. That's 4 Alps keys you are hitting far off-center at a corner angle all at once. I think I could do that on one of mine too. Cleeeeeeaan :)

Harshmallow

22 Mar 2017, 21:14

//gainsborough wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Magnavo ... SwCU1YyvwA

Well then, I rolled the dice with this one. I couldn't pass it up because of it's price. The number on the back of the case though is 8625, which I presume is a serial number (though I guess it could also be a date). The 250 that cumwagondeluxe (holy shit I can't type name that without smirking like an idiot) bought, which for sure has brown alps (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAGNAVO ... 7675.l2557) has a number on the back that reads 8628, so I figured I was safe. Guess I'll find out in a week or so.

This month has absolutely destroyed my wallet.
UPDATE: it's SKCM brown =) Super clean as well! Has anyone successfully converted these keyboards to PS/2 or USB?

An IBM 5140 keyboard and now a Videowriter? You be rolling in SKCM Browns my man.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Mar 2017, 21:17

All this SKCM brown talk is making me want to get a board in better condition... The browns I had felt good enough when lubed, but not like alps should. bad condition brown alps pretty much cant be saved due to the top housing design. damnit, now I need to spend more money! :maverick:

rominronin

22 Mar 2017, 21:27

Can MQC switches be modified to be more like alps in any way?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2017, 21:32

Harshmallow wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: An IBM 5140 keyboard and now a Videowriter? You be rolling in SKCM Browns my man.
I'll be the first to admit that I got VERY lucky with the price on both boards - less than $100 for both boards in really nice condition.

I have this NIB wang 725 with skcm black alps that I've been looking to do something with... I'm considering putting SKCM brown switches in it. Both the 5140 and videowriter are in exceptional condition though, and I don't really want to harvest the switches from them because of that... but I also want a usable SKCM brown board...hmmmmmmm...

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Menuhin

22 Mar 2017, 21:40

mike52787 wrote: All this SKCM brown talk is making me want to get a board in better condition... The browns I had felt good enough when lubed, but not like alps should. bad condition brown alps pretty much cant be saved due to the top housing design. damnit, now I need to spend more money! :maverick:
Have you tried ultrasound and then lubing?

If you don't think that's going to help, you can also let me have them. ;)

Menuhin

22 Mar 2017, 21:42

Scarpia wrote:
Menuhin wrote: It didn't reveal in those previous posts: the switch color under those arrow keys of the videowriter board.
On my Videowriter 250s, those big retarded arrow keys have had SKCM Brown under them like the rest of the board (apart from the CapsLock and the half-sized function keys at the top).
After the name of "Big Ass Enter", we have "Big Retarded Arrow keys" :lol:

I think these arrow keys look pretty bad ass indeed.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Mar 2017, 22:24

Menuhin wrote:
mike52787 wrote: All this SKCM brown talk is making me want to get a board in better condition... The browns I had felt good enough when lubed, but not like alps should. bad condition brown alps pretty much cant be saved due to the top housing design. damnit, now I need to spend more money! :maverick:
Have you tried ultrasound and then lubing?

If you don't think that's going to help, you can also let me have them. ;)
haha I sold them awhile back, but I am on the prowl for more. No idea what I would put them in though.

cumwagondeluxe

23 Mar 2017, 01:21

You guys need to shut up about skcm browns, we're gonna inflate the tits out of em like blue alps and I still need to stock up on another couple boards worth of switches before that happens :<

Mattr567

23 Mar 2017, 01:38

//gainsborough wrote:
Harshmallow wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: An IBM 5140 keyboard and now a Videowriter? You be rolling in SKCM Browns my man.
I'll be the first to admit that I got VERY lucky with the price on both boards - less than $100 for both boards in really nice condition.

I have this NIB wang 725 with skcm black alps that I've been looking to do something with... I'm considering putting SKCM brown switches in it. Both the 5140 and videowriter are in exceptional condition though, and I don't really want to harvest the switches from them because of that... but I also want a usable SKCM brown board...hmmmmmmm...

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM
Dude those boards get harvested 24/7 lol. Do it, that's a great chassis for them. I have my SKCM Browns in a SGI with SKCM Cream in the numpad and F keys and it's great.
cumwagondeluxe wrote: You guys need to shut up about skcm browns, we're gonna inflate the tits out of em like blue alps and I still need to stock up on another couple boards worth of switches before that happens :<
Lol. What next SKCM Amber? :lol:

Tuntematon

23 Mar 2017, 02:05

So do you guys actually like typing on browns, or do you just appreciate the novelty? Much too heavy and tactile for my taste.

Chyros

23 Mar 2017, 02:28

mike52787 wrote:
Menuhin wrote:

SKCM cream is pretty much a tactile SKCM blue, and that is why I like it so much. sililarly weighted, and also sounds very similar. I would honestly say it is the best sounding alps switch. has the nice deep sound of the blues, just without some of the click. Not a quiet switch by any means, but it is not as loud as blues. I can do a little sound comparison soon, as I have a board with SKCM blue coming in the mail tomorrow or friday.
I feel more and more like I should review a NOS SKCM cream board xD .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Mar 2017, 02:40

Tuntematon wrote: So do you guys actually like typing on browns, or do you just appreciate the novelty? Much too heavy and tactile for my taste.
I think I fall into the latter category. They actually do feel really nice - but you're right, they are super heavy. I appreciate the crazy tactility, though.

Mattr567

23 Mar 2017, 03:02

Chyros wrote: I feel more and more like I should review a NOS SKCM cream board xD .
I have one of those ;) The complete lack of shine on the Wob doubleshots and the untouched plate is astonishing :o If I didn't live across the pond I would surely send it in for review.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2017, 03:58

Chyros wrote: I feel more and more like I should review a NOS SKCM cream board xD .
I dont get your reservations from ordering them off ebay... I had 5 from that same guy and all the switches were in great shape. In all I have had 6 NeXT boards worth of switches, and not a single one has had bad switches. well anyhow, the window of opportunity to get the SKCM cream version on ebay is closed, as the only ones left are the bigass enter ones with pine blacks. If you want creams you have to go with the ansi enter version.

Return to “Keyboards”