Hi there...

Trajce_yu

06 Dec 2016, 01:47

Hello to everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I live in Serbia, Europe.
I'm watching posts about mechanical keyboards for long time now, but never have a chance to buy or build one.

Three days ago, in some boxes in my office - just few meter from me all the time :roll: , just by accident I found one ol IBM 8926 rubber dome keyboard!!!

Used, stained with pencil, cover with dirth, old... waiting to be thrown away....

So... I saved her! :D

I completely dismantled her, washed keycaps in soap and water, washet the case several times...

Now, i typing this from that beautifull keyboard!!! :D :D :D

I have one small question (well - two actualy).

1. Can I somehow replace small old PCB with PS/2 connector for something new with USB (AT Mega 324U perhaps?)

2. Is there any way to keep those keycaps, but to change old casing (I would like to build alluminium casing, but what to do with keycaps because they have uppercase with slider guide shafts_

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 Dec 2016, 01:55

Welcome to Deskthority!

You should be able to find a PS/2 to USB converter on the internet. Pretty much all of them work fine for keyboards like yours -- no need to build a custom one.

You could theoretically build an aluminum casing, but you would need to machine the slider guide shafts somehow. You're probably better off keeping the keyboard as-is until you can afford a Model M/mechanical keyboard of any sort.

If you keep an eye on the Marketplace, you should be able to find something for sale. If you mention the fact that it will be your first mechanical keyboard, you might even get a discount!

Trajce_yu

06 Dec 2016, 09:41

Thank you for welcome greetings!

Well, I know about PS/2 to USB convertors - except... my cable from keyboard is REALLY bad. Mushy, old.. I would really like to change that. There is no problem with the working to be honest, I just need little to modernize it.

I will not post pictures here, I believe that allready everyone see those pictures somewhere on the internet, but there is pretty USB cables which can be detached from the keyboard if there is need.

This keyboard can be my little houswork, to learn how to do things. Beside that, I really like the sound of those rubber domes, and on them are the specioal characters for my language (some letters we using every day like: š,đ,č,ć,ž...)

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Dec 2016, 14:21

Trajce_yu wrote: Thank you for welcome greetings!

I would really like to change that. There is no problem with the working to be honest, I just need little to modernize it.

there is pretty USB cables which can be detached from the keyboard if there is need.

and on them are the specioal characters for my language (some letters we using every day like: š,đ,č,ć,ž...)
A small breakout board will surely fit inside the case somewhere and be wired to the existing controller. Then you can enlarge the cable exit hole and install a USB socket so you should have what you need, provided that you can program the board with Soarer's firmware or something comparable.

I think that this is the ISO version of the 8923, which I own and prefer as one of the best rubber dome keyboards. You have already discovered how sturdy the construction is.

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 Dec 2016, 15:23

Ah, if that's your motivation it makes much more sense.

See the following thread for a cheap converter that can be wired inside the case:
workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a ... t8448.html

Trajce_yu

06 Dec 2016, 17:14

WOW! Great stuff - that is what I wanted!

Thank you guys. I would like to do something closest to mechanical keyboards, but with rubber domes. No lights under keys or similar flashy things - just to learn how to convert existing stuff.
For now!

:)

Thank's guys! I will post for any changes if you are interested for that.

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 Dec 2016, 17:18

Photographs are always welcome here, especially if you find a good way to mount the converter and manage its cables.

Return to “Keyboards”