No Software Macropad

Happy Idiot Talk

06 Nov 2018, 13:04

Hi Guys,

I purchased a NIB Ortek MCK-142pro a few months back, which I like very much. Well, to be accurate, I love the macro functionality. Each PF key can store over a hundred characters and it's re-programmable on the fly without using any software.

This is great because I can store long sequences of things I do regularly in there.

My problem is that I miss the keyfeel of my Model F AT board. So, I'm looking for a macropad that supports as many stored keystrokes as the MCK-142pro, AND does not require software to program (I use Linux as my daily driver, so most proprietary software will not run).

I've got a Focus FP-21 macropad, but it only supports ~32 characters per macro key.

Any ideas?

Chyros

06 Nov 2018, 13:15

It's very rare to get non-software modern programmable stuff, to my knowledge. They all run on some kind of proprietary software, and usually it's shit to boot.

There are some vintage solutions, but not many standalone ones. I've got a Mextel macro bar but it doesn't appear to send break codes so everything hangs on it. I think there was one (bar-type) that was recommended for use with the Model F, but I forgot what it was called.

Surprised you found an FP-21 actually, they appear to be really rare!

Happy Idiot Talk

06 Nov 2018, 13:32

So the Mextel macro bars don't send break codes? That was one option I had found, that sucks.

Yeah, the FP-21 was new with no box on Ebay, I paid $30 including shipping. Was a good deal.

Myoth

06 Nov 2018, 13:38

I'm pretty sure that QMK supports a lot of characters, so you could get the cheapest board out there that supports it and use it as a macro pad. And QMK works on Linux IIRC, so no need to worry about the software.

Happy Idiot Talk

06 Nov 2018, 14:08

The problem with QMK is that it still doesn't let me just directly record macros on the fly. For example, I may need to enter some password into a console that doesn't support copy&paste, so I will program a macro with the password and use that to enter it in the console. I would need to modify a config file and push it to the keyboard, which is a fairly large inconvenience.

Engicoder

06 Nov 2018, 17:04

On my long list of projects is a USB to USB macro pad along the lines of the FP-21; i.e. plug keyboard into macro pad and macro pad into computer and then you can program a key on the macro pad using keys on the keyboard.
I made a prototype with ST discovery boards but need to formalize it when I get a chance. Moving at the moment so everything is on hold.

Keybug

07 Nov 2018, 09:59

Unless you need the programmed keypad to be portable to take anywhere so it will work out of the box, you can just use the method outlined below - it will work perfectly on any system that you can install software / a system-level driver on:

https://github.com/TaranVH/2nd-keyboard

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2018, 10:14

Those are all autohotkey scripts. Windows only, and quite the opposite of the question!

I’ll admit I’m just as much of a fan of any tool I’ve recently mastered. That feeling of freshly hammered nails is quite a buzz. But there are other tools in the box for a reason.

Happy Idiot Talk

07 Nov 2018, 13:06

Thanks for giving me a link to that, but...

Autohotkey software is not a good solution for my use case. Most don't work on Linux, and most don't work in the terminal directly.

Pumaeggs

07 Nov 2018, 15:05

the most reasonable solution in my opinion would be to just build your own macropad with something like a teensy or pro micro.

chuckdee

07 Nov 2018, 15:48

Happy Idiot Talk wrote: The problem with QMK is that it still doesn't let me just directly record macros on the fly. For example, I may need to enter some password into a console that doesn't support copy&paste, so I will program a macro with the password and use that to enter it in the console. I would need to modify a config file and push it to the keyboard, which is a fairly large inconvenience.
Yes, there is that inconvenience of having to record, but you don't necessarily need to modify and compile a script- there's an online tool that does it for you.

https://config.qmk.fm

Keybug

07 Nov 2018, 20:41

Happy Idiot Talk wrote: AND does not require software to program (I use Linux as my daily driver, so most proprietary software will not run).

I've got a Focus FP-21 macropad, but it only supports ~32 characters per macro key.
Very sorry, seems I only skimmed the OP and missed all the most important parts!!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Nov 2018, 08:17

You may want to have a look at X-keys devices provided by P.I. Engineering:
http://xkeys.com/
They have a wealth of different macro pads and bars and provide Linux software development kits (whatever that may mean) for their products.

I seemed to remember they use Cherry ML switches, but apparently they also have Cherry MX (compatible) switches.

Return to “Keyboards”