Recreating the Lisp keyboard

ts4z

25 Jul 2011, 10:14

I have some time to try and work on this. I'm hoping to lay out a PCB with switches in the right locations to drive 7bit's keyboard (more or less). I have found the tools somewhat hard to use, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm a bit worried about keys with stabilizers, as I'm not sure where to get those.

7bit

26 Jul 2011, 13:55

ts4z wrote:I picked up one of the Symbolics keyboards from DKS after the thread started, and did hans23's modification to make it work via USB. It's cool, although I haven't really finished the project. My wife's reaction to the noise the keyboard makes was quite funny, but I suspect if I keep using it, it will become less so.

I'm worried that it will be hard to switch between a Symbolics keyboard and a laptop keyboard. I also don't know what to do with both BACK SPACE and RUB OUT keys, or with both RETURN and LINE. But certainly, a lot of those problems can be solved with firmware. I've modified hans23's firmware a bit, partly to make it work with the newer Teensy boards. I have not yet fixed the layout to work to my liking.
BACK SPACE is like Backspace and RUB OUT is like Delete.

RETURN is just like you Enter key, while LINE is RETURN+TAB.
ts4z wrote:I have some time to try and work on this. I'm hoping to lay out a PCB with switches in the right locations to drive 7bit's keyboard (more or less). I have found the tools somewhat hard to use, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm a bit worried about keys with stabilizers, as I'm not sure where to get those.
My idea was to use 2 switches. Maybe those 2 switches should have a lighter spring inside.

For keys up to 1.75 units, no stabilisers are needed.
Last edited by 7bit on 26 Jul 2011, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

ts4z

26 Jul 2011, 20:46

7bit wrote: BAC SPAE is like Backspace and RUB OUT is like Delete.

RETURN is just like you Enter key, while LINE is RETURN+TAB.
Ah! Thank you! I don't know why I didn't parse it that way before, but I think I get it now.

I am pretty sure that's not my ideal layout, but that's why firmware is firmware and keycaps come off.
ts4z wrote:I have some time to try and work on this. I'm hoping to lay out a PCB with switches in the right locations to drive 7bit's keyboard (more or less). I have found the tools somewhat hard to use, but I'll give it a shot.

My idea was to use 2 switches. Maybe those 2 switches should have a lighter spring inside.

For keys up to 1.75 units, no stabilisers are needed.[/quote]

OK, that's a very workable plan.

Return to “Keyboards”