Switch actuation vs click / tactility

balotz

22 Feb 2017, 11:37

I'm trying to compile a list of switches which actuate (register a keypress) exactly when they click (or provide tactile feedback). ALPS switches do not have this characteristic as they can be actuated before the tactile event.

So far I have

IBM MBS / CBS / Beam spring
Oki tactile gourd spring
Futaba clicky
Acer clicky (edit: maybe not)

Does anyone know of any others?

Thanks
Last edited by balotz on 22 Feb 2017, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Feb 2017, 18:57

Marquardt Butterfly should do: the "butterfly" complex leaf spring is operated in a snap-action manner and is conductive. (It's easier to understand when you've had one apart!) One presumes also any other snap-action switch such as Olivetti snap-action or Alps plate spring. (Alps SKFF "vertical plate spring" maybe — I don't remember how those work.)

Is the Acer switch confirmed? Those use a click leaf and in theory are in exactly the same position as Alps SKCL/SKCM — you may be able to push down far enough to get a click without it registering (I've never tried).

balotz

22 Feb 2017, 20:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Marquardt Butterfly should do: the "butterfly" complex leaf spring is operated in a snap-action manner and is conductive. (It's easier to understand when you've had one apart!) One presumes also any other snap-action switch such as Olivetti snap-action or Alps plate spring. (Alps SKFF "vertical plate spring" maybe — I don't remember how those work.)

Is the Acer switch confirmed? Those use a click leaf and in theory are in exactly the same position as Alps SKCL/SKCM — you may be able to push down far enough to get a click without it registering (I've never tried).
Ah, I thought the click of the acer switch came from the action of the hammer.

y11971alex

22 Feb 2017, 20:41

What about Alps Plate Spring?

Chyros

23 Feb 2017, 11:50

Basically this question boils down to which switches have a one-part clicker AND actuator as if they are two different parts they will NEVER actuate at precisely the same time across n>> data points with 100% fidelity.

Alps plate spring should definitely be that, yes.

Quickly scanning the switch index (I'm sure I missed a few):
-Alps plate spring
-Alps SKFF
-beam spring
-buckling spring
-Fujitsu Peerless
-Futaba clicky switch
-ITT snap action (presumably)
-Marquardt Butterfly
-Olivetti snap-action

Technically, some of the snap-action type switches could actuate before the click if they were to press down enough before inversion that they would actuate the switch; however this goes completely against the inherent design idea so if these switches even occurred they would probably be filtered out during QC.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Mar 2017, 09:32

Futaba clicky is not one of them. The snap-action spring is not a conductor, and therefore doesn't determine the switch state. You can press the switch some distance past the snap point before it starts to conduct, and the resistance is inversely proportional to travel (conductive snap action such as Marquardt Butterfly has instantaneous switching, where you can't hold the switch at an intermediate resistance level).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Mar 2017, 09:45

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The snap-action spring is not a conductor, and therefore doesn't determine the switch state. You can press the switch some distance past the snap point before it starts to conduct, and the resistance is inversely proportional to travel (conductive snap action such as Marquardt Butterfly has instantaneous switching, where you can't hold the switch at an intermediate resistance level).
While I don't own Olivetti snap-action I did have a look at the Olivetti dome with slider switch which I assume is at least similair although the switch plate was replaced with a rubber dome. What struck me when trying various switches on my Olivetti ANK 2463 was the inconsistency of the switch in actuation.

Return to “Keyboards”