The Keyboards in a Nuclear Launch Control Center

laxfan91

01 Oct 2018, 04:31

So I got to go to a decommissioned ICBM LCC up in ND, USA and of course I was looking at the keyboards there. The place was decommissioned in 1997 so it's a mix of the 60s through the 90s. There were all sorts of keyboards and buttons for launching ICBMs anywhere in the world.

I posted this on Reddit but no one commented. I'm trying to find more information on these keyboards that I took pics of except for the Model M haha! Yes, I was allowed to touch the keyboards and check their feel...but I feel something bad would happen if i got my trusty key pulling tool out.

The link is below along with the Reddit post.

https://imgur.com/a/MshnVCR

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... ol_center/

Chyros

01 Oct 2018, 07:51

Wow. That is incredibly cool xD . I've genuinely wondered what kind of keyboards they use in those facilities before!

Looks like there's a fair bit of Hall effect going on - which makes sense xD .

JP!

01 Oct 2018, 16:23

This is the true endgame keyboard.

vvp

01 Oct 2018, 16:37

Chyros wrote: I've genuinely wondered what kind of keyboards they use in those facilities before!
Well, I hope they use keyboards with some real good de-bouncing :)

vometia
irritant

01 Oct 2018, 17:38

I saw the PS/2 or whatevs and thought "meh", but then scrolling down to the proper computery-looking things: I want my computers of mass destruction to look like props from Max Headroom, which these certainly do.

I'm vaguely reminded of a rare interview with a guy from one of the UK's nuclear subs who was asked what awesome trigger mechanism was used to fire off a nuclear missile. He looked rather downcast when he said "left mouse-click". And elaborated, saying they had asked for a big red button but the request was refused. :(

digital_matthew

01 Oct 2018, 19:33

Pretty awesome. Looks like someone snagged a nice souvenir; the Model M's Esc key.
vometia wrote: I saw the PS/2 or whatevs and thought "meh", but then scrolling down to the proper computery-looking things: I want my computers of mass destruction to look like props from Max Headroom, which these certainly do.

I'm vaguely reminded of a rare interview with a guy from one of the UK's nuclear subs who was asked what awesome trigger mechanism was used to fire off a nuclear missile. He looked rather downcast when he said "left mouse-click". And elaborated, saying they had asked for a big red button but the request was refused. :(
:lol: I hope that button at least had a molly-guard.

laxfan91

01 Oct 2018, 21:22

vometia wrote: I saw the PS/2 or whatevs and thought "meh", but then scrolling down to the proper computery-looking things: I want my computers of mass destruction to look like props from Max Headroom, which these certainly do.

Hey, that PS/2 Model M was for the rec room. These guys were officers except for the security guys...they got a rubber dome with a big ass enter. Very forgettable but hey I'll post it anyway along some other stuff.
Attachments
20180927_134428.jpg
20180927_134428.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1643 times
20180927_131802.jpg
20180927_131802.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 1643 times

vometia
irritant

01 Oct 2018, 21:57

Now that thing at the top, whatever it is: that looks like a proper computer. Even if it is just a phone. It's still what a proper computer should look like. The one on the bottom (perhaps the wrong phrasing to use with "rubber dome" and "big ass enter") is just meh.

Return to “Keyboards”