Uncommon Cherry G80-3000 variant?

Lucien

20 Feb 2018, 20:42

Hi all,

I just joined the Deskthority forums!
Someone adviced me to make a thread on the deskthority forums about the following!
I think that i got an unusual variant of the Cherry G80-3000.

Does perhaps anyone has more information on this keyboard?
as google isn't helpful.
(i also couldn't find it being documented on the wiki page: wiki/Cherry_G80-3000 )

Background information to my knowledge on this keyboard:
The keyboard was used with Cisco call manager software in the company i worked at, and operated by a call operator who could use the keyboard to transfer calls and such.

Please let me know if more pics would be required:)

Thanks

hansichen

20 Feb 2018, 20:50

Keyboards with the letters XX in the product code are custom manufactered for big cutstomers. Normally they have special keycaps or legends provided by Cherry. The colored keycaps look like cherry profile so it was probably just a bigger order but it would also be possible that the keyboards were ordered by Cisco through the manufacturer devlin and they made the caps.
The boards itself should be identical to a normal G80 and only the keycaps are different, so apart from some exceptions (eg blank black pom sets are demanded by keyboard nerds) these boards are not that special.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Feb 2018, 20:57

Just to add, these would be cool for someone who actually uses Cisco CM since they could more easily see what keys they need to use. Otherwise just a typical G80.

scottc

20 Feb 2018, 21:00

The caps don’t look Cherry original to me, they look like Devlin caps that I got from Wodan who got it from kbdfr. Would make sense given the bottom label.

hansichen

20 Feb 2018, 21:07

scottc wrote: The caps don’t look Cherry original to me, they look like Devlin caps that I got from Wodan who got it from kbdfr. Would make sense given the bottom label.
You're right, the keys seem to be a bit higher than original Cherry keys. So in this case the caps are custom manufactured by devlin for the customer.

Lucien

20 Feb 2018, 21:10

hansichen wrote:
scottc wrote: The caps don’t look Cherry original to me, they look like Devlin caps that I got from Wodan who got it from kbdfr. Would make sense given the bottom label.
You're right, the keys seem to be a bit higher than original Cherry keys. So in this case the caps are custom manufactured by devlin for the customer.
Ah cool to know!
would make sense then that i had bad luck finding any information on this.
So other than the keycaps, there isnt really much special about it?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Feb 2018, 21:19

Not much special about it as they are still being manufactured by Cherry sans the keycap coloring.

Lucien

20 Feb 2018, 21:22

Blaise170 wrote: Not much special about it as they are still being manufactured by Cherry sans the keycap coloring.
Allright, thanks for all the input in this thread!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Feb 2018, 21:23

Still a cool board in my opinion. Nice find.

Return to “Keyboards”