seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jun 2016, 22:57

http://imgur.com/a/JKqqR

Some awesome vintage computers, enjoy.

vsev

23 Jun 2016, 13:14

Indeed awesome stuff in here,
Didn't saw any SafeType Ergonomic before, those side mirrors made my day !
Do you know what switches are in that beast ?

andrewjoy

23 Jun 2016, 13:23

Awsome !

If you love retro computers you should check out this youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/jpkiwigeek not many followers but that guy is awesome , i mean who else has a E10K in there house!

Stabilized

23 Jun 2016, 14:44

Is that the one in California?
andrewjoy wrote: If you love retro computers you should check out this youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/jpkiwigeek not many followers but that guy is awesome , i mean who else has a E10K in there house!
Wow, love the kiwi accent! Oh and the computers are pretty cool too.

Findecanor

23 Jun 2016, 20:50

Whoa! The original Utah Teapot! :ugeek:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Jun 2016, 21:00

Findecanor wrote: Whoa! The original Utah Teapot! :ugeek:
Forget the Teapot, this 62' Linc has got to be the oldest 60% out there. And it's got a "Meta" key. :o
sqhuPty.jpg
sqhuPty.jpg (411.72 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

23 Jun 2016, 21:16

Yes, that's the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, just off Shoreline on the old SGI campus and right by Google's headquarters. MrsXMIT and I have been there several times. I think the Bay Area keyboard community did reach out to the museum at some point. They have a somewhat tentative relationship IIRC: the Bay Area keyboard folks are mostly under-30 types looking for a nice keyboard for work or play, the Computer History Museum types are generally 70 and older, and somewhat more protective of their toys.

I've seen both Babbage Difference Engine recreations, both Myrvhold's when it was there, and the one in the Science Museum in London. I wonder how many folks have seen both.

Definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area, whatever the admission fee happens to be.

Invisius

24 Jun 2016, 00:31

Some awesome pictures here, looks like they really take care of the 60s machines. I'd really love to see them in action with those odd round displays and huge actuators. :D
seebart wrote:
Findecanor wrote: Whoa! The original Utah Teapot! :ugeek:
Forget the Teapot, this 62' Linc has got to be the oldest 60% out there. And it's got a "Meta" key. :o
sqhuPty.jpg
What a beauty. These guys were headquartered right near me! I've done some digging and found most members of "Soroban Engineering" involved with the USAF or other military contractors. Unfortunately it seems the founder Steve B. passed in 2014, but I'm going to see if I can contact any of the remaining guys. Shame there's no hardware industry like this around here anymore.

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Jun 2016, 00:36

XMIT wrote: Yes, that's the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, just off Shoreline on the old SGI campus and right by Google's headquarters. MrsXMIT and I have been there several times. I think the Bay Area keyboard community did reach out to the museum at some point. They have a somewhat tentative relationship IIRC: the Bay Area keyboard folks are mostly under-30 types looking for a nice keyboard for work or play, the Computer History Museum types are generally 70 and older, and somewhat more protective of their toys.

I've seen both Babbage Difference Engine recreations, both Myrvhold's when it was there, and the one in the Science Museum in London. I wonder how many folks have seen both.

Definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area, whatever the admission fee happens to be.
Oh wow, that's not too far at all from where I am. I'll certainly try to stop by myself if I take a trip up north or something. The pictures in the album were quite fascinating, definitely piqued my interest..

Findecanor

24 Jun 2016, 11:04

XMIT wrote: Definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area, whatever the admission fee happens to be.
Hey, I would visit the old SGI campus if I was in the area, only because it was the old SGI campus.
I want to have my picture taken with the SGI logo sculpture that is supposed to be in a street corner somewhere there.

Return to “Off-topic”