Unread post19 Jun 2018, 13:51

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Sharp X68000
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
DT Pro Member: 0129

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: wiki/User:Blaise170
davkol wrote:Soarer supposedly had some conflict with another member. I can't recall if it was over a technical issue, or because of releasing the converter source.

Hmm. I never heard about this. The code was reverse engineered (which technically isn't the source code, but works the same) about a year or two after he was gone when it was considered abandonware, so doubt that's the issue. He also had a few posts hinting that he eventually would have released his source when he thought it was ready.

I did ask him if it was ok to make a production Soarer's Converter and even offered him a commission on each one that sold for his work, but he declined the commission and said he had no issues with that. So argument definitely wasn't with me either :?

He didn't really seem like a quarrelsome guy, so I have a hard time picturing him having a conflict with another member, but even so, you'd think all the positive interactions with members and how well loved he was in the community would override any conflict that there may have been with a single member, but I guess we may never know what happened.

I believe there were efforts to mail him correspondence at one point to see if at least he's ok and if there's anything we can do to bring him back, but the mailing address was known a while back may be old and he may have since moved as well. Not sure if anyone actually did end up sending a letter though.
orihalcon

Unread post19 Jun 2018, 23:11

X
orihalcon

Main keyboard: IBM Model F107
DT Pro Member: 0190

I don't know if he was ever on DT (before my time), but did litster ever reappear?

He'd probably be amused at how hapster derivatives are now unironic novelty keycaps
Norman_

Unread post20 Jun 2018, 04:39

X
Norman_

Main keyboard: RedScarf II+ (RS78)
Main mouse: Zowie FK2
Favorite switch: Anything Alps
DT Pro Member: -

wobbled wrote:What happened to Muirium?

Didn't he have some actually really quite serious RL stuff to deal with? I mean RL catches up with all of us occasionally but I seem to recall that this was particularly so.

Edit: I see ramnes already explained. That'll teach me to still be several months behind the times...
vometia
irritant

Unread post20 Jun 2018, 17:06

X
vometia
irritant

Main keyboard: Unicomp SSK & Filco M2 with novelty keys
Main mouse: Roccat Malarky
Favorite switch: Avocent Thingy
DT Pro Member: 0184

People have their reasons, I think everyone mentioned here is welcome back at any time. I know that some times people feel personally hurt by something someone said or did. Life is too short, just let things be.
codemonkeymike

Unread post20 Jun 2018, 17:58

X
codemonkeymike

Main keyboard: Ergodox
Main mouse: Razer Naga
Favorite switch: Box Jade

wobbled wrote:What happened to Muirium?

Yeah, I wonder too sometimes.

I like this thread. It’s nice to see people still remember. Not only about my old hyperactive self, but about people I miss too, like Soarer.

I’ll write up elsewhere about the shitty real life stuff that’s been keeping me good and warm under a pile of bullcrap all this while. Spoiler: it continues. But seeing as this thread’s touched on it, I might as well share some of the experience of what it’s like to be long term dark.

Some of it is a sense of debt. For me that’s partly physical—I owe a bunch of people NeXT keyboards, Topre damping rings, and Unicomp caps and other stuffs, I remember I swear!—but seeing as we’re soft and squishy human beings, a lot of it is irrational stuff on the inside. You sense you’ve missed so much you’ve become irrelevant. That’s not true—I strived to be perfectly irrelevant all along—but soft and squishy human insides, you know. You feel you’ve been self indulgent in some ever growing way—I must have been doing that indulgence thing all wrong as I’ve been feeling fairly terrible throughout!—but once again, irrationality is how we work. In your head, you get to dread ever coming back. Fear of return becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Truth be told, yes keyboards are as low stakes, small potatoes, harmless little hobbies as it gets. Perhaps that’s what draws us in the first place! When something comes along in the other world beyond your desk, it’s easy indeed to get pulled away. I reckon that’s what happens for most people who became notable in the community only to fall silent. What was a step away from the keyboard became a mighty chasm, without as much as realising it, until they did, and felt awkward coming back. That’s the hopeful hypothesis, anyway. None of us is around forever, in any form, so yes there’s also that. But I’m still in the world of the world weary, for what it’s worth. Thank you for your thoughts. In my own altogether less helpful way, you’ve been in mine as well.
Muirium
µ

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 21:20

X
Muirium
µ

Main keyboard: HHKB Type-S with Bluetooth by Hasu
Main mouse: Apple Magic Mouse
Favorite switch: Gotta Try 'Em All

Good to hear from you again.
scottc

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 21:26

X
scottc

Main keyboard: GH60-HASRO 62g Nixies, HHKB Pro1 HS, Novatouch
Main mouse: Steelseries Rival 300
Favorite switch: Nixdorf 'Soft Touch' MX Black

+1, you've been missed, Mu
Khers

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 21:26

X
Khers

Main keyboard: HHKB Pro 2
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Buckling Springs | Topre | Nixdorf Black
DT Pro Member: 0087

Thanks for sharing, Mu
DT isn‘t the same without you
Wodan
ISO Advocate

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 21:30

X
Wodan
ISO Advocate

Main keyboard: Random
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: ALL OF THEM

Great to see you again mate. As you so eloquently put it, keyboards are just a thing; even the most passionate amongst us must break every once in awhile. Glad to hear you are still warm and squishy and how to see you around again someday.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 23:11

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Sharp X68000
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
DT Pro Member: 0129

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: wiki/User:Blaise170
Hooray! Mu is back :-)
elecplus

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 00:48

X
elecplus

DT Pro Member: 0082

Hey Mu! Nice to see you around!
Spoiler:
aHZsAA5.jpg
chzel

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 01:59

X
chzel

Main keyboard: Phantom
Main mouse: Mionix Avior 7000
Favorite switch: Beamspring, BS, Vintage Blacks.
DT Pro Member: 0086

MURIMIUM is BACK in the house!!!!!!!!

Welcome back!
green-squid

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 14:32

X
green-squid

Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Lenovo Scrollpoint optical
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring

Wasn't expecting that :D Good to hear from you Muirium!
wobbled

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 22:12

X
wobbled

Main keyboard: HHKB Hipro
Main mouse: Microsoft IMO 1.1A White
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0192

Nice to hear from you, Mu. Insightful as ever even in not-so-good times -- all the best buddy.
Topre Enthusiast

Unread post12 Jul 2018, 09:08

X
Topre Enthusiast

Main keyboard: Realforce & Libertouch
Main mouse: Steelseries Rival 300
Favorite switch: Topre
DT Pro Member: 0002

Tokyo Press
Topre enthusiast
Previous