Cherry Corp MX Keycap History

sordna

02 Dec 2011, 05:26

NewGuy wrote:Then again, someone would probably be manufacturing a keyboard like that from the factory if it worked.
They are: http://wasdkeyboards.com/
They produce keyboards with the o-ring option, or you can buy o-rings from them separately. I highly recommend their softer 40A durometer o-rings. They dampen both the sound, and the impact when you bottom out.
NewGuy wrote: I do wonder why there aren't any keyboards with foam or rubber surrounding the switches. It would shorten the travel distance, but should help dampen the noise of keys bottoming out. (or is the idea to simply avoid bottoming out altogether?)
Read about the o-ring mod here, it's GREAT if you use the right o-rings:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5450

N8N

02 Dec 2011, 05:36

Wasn't there some German keyboard made w/ Cherry switches that was O=ring damped out of the box?

I'll be damned if I can remember who it was now, but I do remember seeing a pic of it. I think it used some unique looking switch too (transparent top housings maybe?)

ripster

03 Dec 2011, 07:28

Findecanor wrote:The thickness of the space bar is somewhere in-between the thickness of the thin keys and the thick stabilized keys.
The light lasered space bars that I have (7 unit, 6.0 unit) are PBT.

No black Cherry Corp space bar is PBT. I have a 6.0 unit space bar from a more recent black double-shot ABS set -- with the text >PBT< in it, and it fails the acetone test, indicating that it is not PBT!
It was just made from the same mold as PBT space bars. A curious detail is that when I compare it to a light grey PBT space bar from what is otherwise the same type of keyboard, the space bar that is really PBT is 1.5 mm shorter! (measured with calipers)

I just checked a couple of mine - G80-8113 and a G81. Both older doubleshot keyboards.

Both were marked PBT and are indeed PBT according to the acetone test.

Friday night Acetone huffing. Just don't make spacebars like they used to! (except Topre of course)

Grond

03 Dec 2011, 09:37

Hell, why should they be marked PBT and not actually be PBT!? Old Cherry don't lie to us!

heliar

03 Dec 2011, 16:20

that o-ring from WASD is way too thick, mine is thinner, it dampens the sound without reducing too much travel.

Findecanor

03 Dec 2011, 16:38

RiGS wrote:Does that spacebar from your DS set have the same thickness as the light lasered one?
Yes.
RiGS wrote:
Findecanor wrote:A curious detail is that when I compare it to a light grey PBT space bar from what is otherwise the same type of keyboard, the space bar that is really PBT is 1.5 mm shorter! (measured with calipers)
You mean like that?
RiGS wrote:
No, I'm sorry. I meant that it was less wide.
Weird.. It does not fit my G80-1800 very well either ...
Could my space bar have been just a freak occurence? An error during manufacturing?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Dec 2011, 18:13

On models after 2001 (or maybe 1999 - I'm still not sure when the change happened) it is possible that the G81-1800 and G80-1800 spacebars have a slightly different size. I have seen the same happen. There is also the variant where the G81 stems are too wide and do not fit the MX stems very well. As a result the spacebar will wobble around very loosely.

ripster

15 Jan 2012, 15:44

sixty wrote:After two hours of sleep, I return to present a bit of Cherry Corp. history.
Only official Cherry keys, no third party molds.

I miss white blank PBTs. Other than that I am pretty sure I have every single keycap they ever made. :ugeek:
Are you sure Cherry Corp didn't make pad printed PBT?

The front row of many Cherry Corp DoubleShot POS (Point of Sale cardreader types - G81-3113 etc) seem to be pad printed PBT. Different sprue mark location than the Cherry Corp POM keys I have. Different feel (not as slick). I haven't figured out a solvent/melting test that would show the difference.

And speaking of which probably this summary should include the unique RicerCar SPOS keys.

whoops.

Rightmost one.
5250490496_5dc5fa7ab3_b.jpg
5250490496_5dc5fa7ab3_b.jpg (309.04 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
FLA_9258.jpg
FLA_9258.jpg (191.87 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
60x Cherry Laser.jpg
60x Cherry Laser.jpg (398.82 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... p+L+series

imsto

17 Feb 2012, 04:51

hi boss sixty
can I put these images to KBC's forum?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2012, 12:15

Imsto,

Feel free to use any picture I posted in your posts on KBC!

ripster

17 Feb 2012, 21:52

As long as mine have a watermark feel free to use mine.

Otherwise beware my lawyer, Saul Goodman.

mintberryminuscrunch

17 Feb 2012, 22:03

ripster wrote:
60x Cherry Laser.jpg
are you sure, that one is lasered?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2012, 02:08

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
ripster wrote:
60x Cherry Laser.jpg
are you sure, that one is lasered?
It is. I even called them and asked (this was when the ricerar SPOS was first discovered). However, these seem to be made in a different way. The Korean theory is that after being lasered, they are being heated up again in a mold to make the keycap surface even.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2012, 02:50

This is what happened at Cherry when you called:

Customer support girl: It's the crazy guy again, something about a ricer carspos and lasers wtf?? It's not in the top 10 FAQ of the database.
2nd line support guy: Just tell him "yes", whatever.

imsto

19 Feb 2012, 08:39

haha thanks

Myoth

01 Aug 2017, 02:12

sixty wrote: Image
I have found these but in Black, they were mounted on Cherry M8 too. That's an info, maybe irrevelant ?

xtreg

05 Jul 2018, 17:57

Myoth wrote:
sixty wrote: Image
I have found these but in Black, they were mounted on Cherry M8 too. That's an info, maybe irrevelant ?
Photos please! If you are still active...that is.

Myoth

05 Jul 2018, 18:08

xtreg wrote: Photos please!

freshly taken !

xtreg

05 Jul 2018, 18:59

Myoth wrote:
xtreg wrote: Photos please!

freshly taken !
Thanks so much, man!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Return to “Gallery”