Just some pics of an old HHKB.

wobbled

01 Aug 2017, 17:40

Well that pro 1 was bloody grim, managed to get it all nice and new looking with the exception of the yellowing case (shall I retrobrite this or leave as is?)
Also added some of the brand new KBDFans silencing rings that they just released recently:
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collectio ... e-x-120pcs

These rings are thinner than the ones hypersphere makes and I have noticed absolutely no loss in tactility after applying them and the sound is wonderful! No farting / whistling from it yet, I assume that's just a type-s problem?

Anyway here's a picture of it with sparkling clean keycaps powered off my pro 2's usb hub (IT IS FINALLY USEFUL FOR SOMETHING) :)
20170801_163216.jpg
20170801_163216.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 1038 times

E3E

01 Aug 2017, 18:26

wobbled wrote: Well that pro 1 was bloody grim, managed to get it all nice and new looking with the exception of the yellowing case (shall I retrobrite this or leave as is?)
Also added some of the brand new KBDFans silencing rings that they just released recently:
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collectio ... e-x-120pcs

These rings are thinner than the ones hypersphere makes and I have noticed absolutely no loss in tactility after applying them and the sound is wonderful! No farting / whistling from it yet, I assume that's just a type-s problem?

Anyway here's a picture of it with sparkling clean keycaps powered off my pro 2's usb hub (IT IS FINALLY USEFUL FOR SOMETHING) :)
20170801_163216.jpg
Well, that all progressed quickly! Nice. Also interesting bit about the kbdfans silencing rings. I'll note that in my mental logs of things to remember. :b Nice to see the son of the HHKB Pro 2 giving its father some life support.

I vote for retrobright, mainly because the yellow will come back over time anyway, so you can watch it gain that nice patina again yourself! Just be careful. If you haven't RB'd before, it can be a bit tricky to pull it off without any bleaching or streaks.

wobbled

01 Aug 2017, 18:33

yeh the second it came I had it on the desk, with the vacuum and datavac blower out! Putting the silencing rings on is probably one of the most boring keyboard 'mods' I have ever done, but so totally worth it. The sound alone makes it nicer and more enjoyable to type on imo. Haha never thought of it as 'life support' Love it :D It must have been suffocating under years worth of zzupers dead skin so it certainly does need life support now!

I'll give retrobriting a go, I bought all the stuff for it a while ago when I ordered an AEK II but the case was destroyed during shipping so I never got the chance to try it out. I did get the spacebar back to being white though which is something. I'll just go for a thin, evenly spread out layer of cream all over the top case and leave it outside for like 2 days, hopefully that should do the trick.

zzuper

20 Aug 2017, 05:57

There was more than dead skin in there.. <3

Return to “Gallery”