KBP V60 Build with SKCM Amber and Canon HiPros

Mattr567

14 Jan 2017, 06:33

Got finished building this today.
Over a year later I decided to attempt to modify and build another KBP V60. Last time I tried I ended up destroying the PCB, as many others have done in the past. The PCBs on these are fairly fragile and badly designed and as a result it is harder to desolder and runs a much higher chance of ripping out through holes like this:
I did a ton of wiring and got it to work but the result was still pretty bad. Plus bottom row keys like Win and such were permanently broken.

Ever since i've wanted to get another shot at this and after I found a used V60 on ebay it was time 8-)

This time round I have a lot more experience and better tools and as a result it went a lot better. Not a single broken through hole!

Last time I used SKCL Green, and I decided to switch it up. I used SKCM Amber since I didn't have enough for a full keyboard swap like I originally wanted.

The keycaps are from a Canon S-14. Most people know about the bigger Canon AP series typewriters for having SKCM or Plate Spring as well as these lovely caps, but it turns out some of the smaller Canons use Alps mount HiPros as well! The keyboard itself uses Alps mount integrated domes, and a single SKCL Green for the LED caps lock. They actually aren't that bad but there is plenty better.

They are actually a bit different from the IBM Multistation HiPros, a little more angled at the bottom like the SKCC Green Pingmaster keycaps.

The build:

Installing keycaps:
Done!

Typing on this thing is a dream. E3E said that SKCM Amber and HiPros should be a lovely combo, and they are! The keycap color palette matches pretty well too, a Dolch like scheme. The non-Canon caps actually match pretty well height wise too.

Hope you enjoyed :)

E3E

14 Jan 2017, 10:04

Looks fantastic, man! I'm jealous. :b I never got to test my theory since I've never been able to find SKCM Ambers for a good price ever since I traded mine.

That said, glad that it's actually a great combination!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Jan 2017, 12:04

Spherical Alps keys are damn near perfect. Great find!

The V60 is a tough board to resolder even for me. The pads are tiny and easy to damage, and the board barely uses enough solder to get a connection. I have to add solder to each joint and then use my desoldering gun carefully to even have a shot. Total shame since there are the best Alps boards out there for modern mods!

tlt

14 Jan 2017, 13:08

I like it! What was donor board for the caps?

need

14 Jan 2017, 14:08

tlt wrote: I like it! What was donor board for the caps?
"The keycaps are from a Canon S-14"

Harshmallow

14 Jan 2017, 19:22

Nice board! Very jealous. Sound clip? Typing sound clip!!! Please :)

I'm evidently not capable of typing full sentences today. This board must just have an effect on me...

EDIT: Yay, my 100th post!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jan 2017, 19:24

Harshmallow wrote: Nice board! Very jealous. Sound clip? Typing sound clip!!! Please :)

I'm evidently not capable of typing full sentences today. This board must just have an effect on me...
Agreed! SKCM Amber and Canon HiPros is a combination I can only dream of. Very jealous!

Mattr567

14 Jan 2017, 19:25

XMIT wrote: Spherical Alps keys are damn near perfect. Great find!

The V60 is a tough board to resolder even for me. The pads are tiny and easy to damage, and the board barely uses enough solder to get a connection. I have to add solder to each joint and then use my desoldering gun carefully to even have a shot. Total shame since there are the best Alps boards out there for modern mods!
For sure. I had to add solder on some of the switches too. Otherwise I would have to hold the iron tip at the right angle to melt the little solder they used. Had to redo a bunch of them too since the sucker didn't grab the deeper part where most people rip out through holes.

A couple of the switches did come out with a tiny but of through hole on the sides of the legs but it was small enough as to where it wasn't an issue. Ripping out the whole thing is where you kill it.
need wrote:
tlt wrote: I like it! What was donor board for the caps?
"The keycaps are from a Canon S-14"
Also to note the Canon S-15 should also have these caps. Look for the square LED hole and if the picture is close enough the Alps type stabs. The seller might also pull out the slider with the cap like this:

E3E

14 Jan 2017, 21:03

Yep, I nearly bought an S-15 from eBay, as I thought the rectangular LED window was a sure giveaway for the board containing Alps, but when they pulled a cap and showed me a picture, all I saw was this weird looking greyish black thing.

Turns out it was the rubber dome of the integrated dome switch that was revealed after the top half of the switch came off with the cap when the seller pulled it.

I, not realizing this, didn't buy it and I'm somewhat regretful. :P These aren't nearly as hard to find as some other things, so I'm not too worried, but ugh.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Feb 2017, 09:32

Well, there we go.

The first ever confirmed Alps integrated dome series: SKEW. At least, if I can read it right. The mounting plate appears to be labelled KFEWBA003A, giving us SKEW series for the square white slider, plate mount version.

That needs properly documenting.

Chyros

16 Feb 2017, 12:25

Nice, I know people who would be very jealous of this build xD . The caps are great on it, too!

Mattr567

09 Mar 2017, 07:15

Added beauty pics ;)

Return to “Gallery”