SGI O2 laptop, with ergonomic layout.

Okeg

22 Apr 2013, 17:02

I (think I) made another great find, surfing throught the interwebs i found this:
It is very interesting to see a laptop with a layout like this.

Here's the only info about it: "The O2 laptop

When the O2 was being designed and built, some of the team decided to build a laptop around the O2 parts. You can see some screenshots, pictures of the machine, and some background story on the project at
custom SGI Silicon Graphics O2 laptop

This was a one-off special build by the engineers working on the O2, and sadly never made it into production."

Here's the source:
http://www.siliconbunny.com/silicon-graphics-laptops/

EDIT: I found more info: http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/projs/laptop.html

Enjoy.

Double edit: This actually isn't a military laptop.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

24 Apr 2013, 04:17

:D That's pretty cool.

Not sure I like the thumb keys though.

Findecanor

24 Apr 2013, 15:25

The engineers that made that keyboard would fit right in over here. :)

Pretty cool that they made their own keyboard layout. Apparently, there is a thumb-key to momentarily switch into separate layers for numbers and symbols.

philpirj

13 May 2013, 22:59

I've dropped a message to author of this, he replied and it turns out that he's a real keyboard enthusiast. Hope he will have a chance to share his knowledge and passion here. Seems the second site is down, possibly for some redesign or big update. Meanwhile i'll put the picture link from original post since it's broken now.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2013, 23:32

Silicon Graphics was every kind of awesome. Losing them was one of the signs that the industry was going in a truly bad direction. Seeing what NeXT achieved once Apple bought them (and NeXT promptly seized control of the larger company) I can only imagine what SGI could have become if it survived.

Okeg

14 May 2013, 17:38

Muirium wrote:Silicon Graphics was every kind of awesome. Losing them was one of the signs that the industry was going in a truly bad direction. Seeing what NeXT achieved once Apple bought them (and NeXT promptly seized control of the larger company) I can only imagine what SGI could have become if it survived.
I second this. This one thing happened to too many companies during the 80s-90s. Xerox, SG, Symbolics(Still active, but kinda like a ghost from the past). Imagine what would happen if computers, hell even technology in general(and everything else) diden't turn into a consumerist thing. I'm sick of buying old products that break all the time, and everything of quality today is just riced up(as in; it's expensive, let's add more expensive blingbling, because cheaper=better).

Sorry for going way too off-topic.

Muirium
µ

14 May 2013, 18:03

Off-topic is what I'm all about. I've never even seen SGI hardware, just remember the aura of awesome that they had, vividly. SGI and Cray were up there, all right. Then nowhere.

Then I look up Cray, just to check, and they're still going! And SGI only collapsed in 2009!?

Okay… maybe my assumption that they all wound up steamrollered by generic competitors isn't quite what actually happened.

Return to “Gallery”