DanielT - My Collection

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

07 Jul 2016, 09:07

Yesterday came the HHKB Pro1 Rev. A0 , traded the SSK for this one and I'm so happy about this new board. It feels a bit snappier than my Pro 2, it's very nice to type on a classic board this :) The blanks are killing me :lol: it's the first time I'm typing on blanks and it's quite strange.

cookie

07 Jul 2016, 10:47

Pictures or it didn't happen!

DanielT

07 Jul 2016, 10:50

cookie wrote: Pictures or it didn't happen!
See OP :P

cookie

07 Jul 2016, 11:04

Ohh a black one, they truly age in dignity!
I love beige/white keyboards but sadly my Pro1 turned yellow :/

Last edited by cookie on 07 Jul 2016, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

DanielT

07 Jul 2016, 11:24

I know your Pro1, it's already famous :) The black ones age with dignity, that is true. Maybe one day I'll get also a white one, but for the moment I have enough boards and not enough cash :P
The Pro1 is a beautiful board, no USB hub nonsense, I'm really happy I was able to to this trade. Now I struggle with the blank caps :) Interesting enough I manage to type at a decent rate :lol: I have some printed caps on the way but I have a feeling that by the time these are here I won't need them anymore :P

cookie

07 Jul 2016, 11:43

Thanks mate! Hasu has some amazing HHKBs as well, you should check that out.

I totally agree with you.
I'd swap my Pro2 for a Pro1 any time!

If I were you, I'd keep the blank caps. It's excellent to learn touch typing on :)

Btw. These boards would look amazing with some metal stickers! Leftover sale is starting this evening [WINKING FACE]

DanielT

07 Jul 2016, 11:51

I will keep the blank keys, just getting some printed in case I need them :D These are a good investment anyway.
Actually I'm getting better at typing on the blanks :D is a good practice, I like typing so much on the Pro 1 and am so lazy to swap the printed caps so it's perfect :D
I have to agree that Pro 1 is perfect and having an A0 revision is quite cool. A modern classic.

I'll keep an eye on the stickers, I might get some, will have to see.

DanielT

22 Jul 2016, 13:23

And a small update, there will be also other updates.

shreebles
Finally 60%

22 Jul 2016, 13:39

I'm in love with your #11 addition! Very classy!

Also looks like you've converted to PCB mount full-time?
I also wanted to give that a good try again but had to finish the Whitefox first. So far, for the first time I really like the plate of a keyboard, that probably has to do with how well it is integrated into the design of the whole board.
But I still have an empty GH60 PCB waiting for switches :mrgreen:

DanielT

22 Jul 2016, 14:56

Thanks :) I have also for the #11 a small update, I'll post when I have some time for photos. I've always wanted something as simple and classic like that.
I have only one plate mounted, the #2, the rest are PCB mount, I love how they feel this way and combined with the low profile cases it's a dream to type on.
The whitefox... the drop will start again on MD and again I don't have the money for that one, but to be honest I don't really need another board, I have enough to go around :)

shreebles
Finally 60%

22 Jul 2016, 15:06

DanielT wrote: The whitefox... the drop will start again on MD and again I don't have the money for that one, but to be honest I don't really need another board, I have enough to go around :)
I'd let you try mine but I'm a filthy ISO user :evilgeek:

DanielT

22 Jul 2016, 15:27

ISO :evilgeek: Thanks for the offer ;)

Made the final update for the moment, #11 and #12 are updated. Managed to get my hands on a SKIDATA+ set, damn fine caps, now my orange board looks perfect and I have also the caps to get a correct HHKB-ish layout with split backspace.

Stabilized

22 Jul 2016, 16:29

Which kind of backspace do you prefer? I notice that all your Cherry 60% boards have the full sized one, is that only because you couldn't get the right caps?

DanielT

22 Jul 2016, 16:33

Stabilized wrote: Which kind of backspace do you prefer? I notice that all your Cherry 60% boards have the full sized one, is that only because you couldn't get the right caps?
To be honest I don't really care, I like both equal way. What's important for me is to have the correct caps :)
Now that I have the correct MX caps I can try the HHKB layout also on MX, just for fun.
By the way, the TEX alu case is just what the [CTRL]ALT was missing, if gave such a nice feel to the board ... ;)

Stabilized

22 Jul 2016, 17:16

DanielT wrote: By the way, the TEX alu case is just what the [CTRL]ALT was missing, if gave such a nice feel to the board ... ;)
Great, always a pleasure with you! :D

DanielT

04 Jan 2017, 11:54

Shameless X-Post :P
After searching for one for almost 2 years finally it's mine :
Spoiler:
This is a PlanarT/PLA/플라포커 of God knows the correct name 60% case, the design is by LZ and the GB was run in 2012. The case I have is a one off, test run for pink hard anodization, not very keen on the color but I will change it in the future.
The case is really heavy, 1.3Kg and the angle at first look might seem steep but it's just awesome. The typing feel on this case is amazing. For the moment I have the GH60 inside but it will get a better PCB soon.
For me this was the ultimate quest when it comes to 60% cases, and it was sheer luck that I managed to get this one, I have tried even on Korean forums without any luck.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Jan 2017, 11:58

There were recently a few spots open in the X60 GB. It's a case mounted plate design and weights over 3kg afaik ...

DanielT

04 Jan 2017, 12:14

I know, I have followed that GB. There are multiple reasons why I haven't jumped on that one, the price was bit too steep for my taste, the case didn't tell me anything (I like some curves), forced plate mount (that is something I'm not a big fan of) and last but not least I try to stay away from GB's, been burned in the past with all the PayPal protection.
Weight is not important for me, the PlanarT case is the heaviest I have and more than that would be a no go for me, I like to be able to carry my boards with me.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Jan 2017, 13:21

What's the reason for your aversion of case-mounted plates?

I haven't found any drawbacks yet, it seems to be superior to case-mounted PCBs in any way ...

DanielT

04 Jan 2017, 13:54

I don't have an aversion, case mount is a very good concept if you like plate mounted switches, it's way better than tray mounted or whatever it is called. The problem for me is that I don't like plate mounted switches, people complain about PCB flex for me that is a plus, I like that flex, it makes the switch feel softer more natural.
After experimenting with different setups this is what makes me happy. I have only one board with a 2mm plate from GON, for some reason that is the only plate mounted setup I like.
I know that PCB mounted boards are sometimes "ugly" because you can see the PCB and the switches and the plate gives a clean look, but in the end I type on the board and it's important what my fingers "see" and not my eyes.

So bottom line it's just a matter of personal taste, nothing scientific :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Jan 2017, 15:38

Okay yeah I think we went through this before ... and I keep forgetting that there are people who like PCB mounted switches.

I'll stop preaching then ;)

DanielT

04 Jan 2017, 16:24

:lol: there are so few that it is so easy to forget.

shreebles
Finally 60%

05 Jan 2017, 13:18

DanielT wrote: :lol: there are so few that it is so easy to forget.
One more now.

It's all your fault. Due to your constant raving about PCB mount I completed my first plateless 60% keyboard yesterday.
I hadn't touched a soldering iron in almost six months because I was quite happy with my wooden daily driver:
Spoiler:
DSC_1787_1.jpg
DSC_1787_1.jpg (536.7 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
But now I finally wanted to see for myself, so I took a Satan Gh60 PCB and an old g80 and got going.
The switches are old MX blacks, DanielT style, with 60g springs.
DSC_1786_1.jpg
DSC_1786_1.jpg (478.86 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
My conclusion is that plate mount on 60% is a joke, and should be done for aesthetics only.
The keyboard sits in an aluminum case from Aliexpress, and there is simply no visible flex.
Similar to what people who bought a PCB-mounted Uniqey keyboard reported, it feels extremely solid, you cannot compare it to the wobbly plastic offerings that Cherry themselves made.
At this size, using an aluminum case with six standoffs, there is almost no room for flex. The switches become slightly more wobbly to the side, but it's not something you would notice while typing.
What you do notice however, is that it sounds much better than adding another layer of resonance with an aluminum plate.

Aluminum plates on 60% add noise while hardly improving the typing feel.
I have 2 keyboards with SpriTs 5mm acrylic plate which looks unique and deadens the sound.
But I have never kept a keyboard that had an aluminum plate.
So maybe you can add a plate if you don't want to see the PCB, I guess...

I just ordered some QMX clips to further decrease the noise output.
For silencing clips, 27€ from Germany sounds a lot better than 60$+shipping from the States.
For those who have plate-mount keyboards, I heard Uniqey are also working on plate-mount compatible QMX clips, essentially Zealencios for half the price (and from the original inventor of silencing clips).

In conclusion, PCB mount saves time, money and noise on 60% keyboards. Thanks DanielT! ;)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Jan 2017, 13:28

Plates do make a difference when you mount the plate to the case and not the pcb to the case ...

shreebles
Finally 60%

05 Jan 2017, 13:38

Indeed!
But, I think I would call such a build case-mount, as in the case of the Whitefox, and wouldn't you consider the plate part of the case then?

Also, for 60% keyboards it seems the standard sandwich is alu plate, PCB, plastic or alu case. I can't think of a case-mount 60% keyboard.

scottc

05 Jan 2017, 13:46

I'm a PCB-mount 60% person too (thanks DanielT for converting me too) and I totally agree with what you said above, shreebles. PCB-mount old MX blacks with lower-weight springs are the best. We can call our movement the Cult of DanielT. :maverick:

DanielT

05 Jan 2017, 13:50

@shreebles: Very nice write-up, that is exactly my feeling with PCB mount vs plate mount. I want to try some QMX clips too, have to wait to have some extra funds.
@scottc: PCB mount rules 8-)
Case mount 60% boards, I think OTD 356mini and KMAC Happy are like that, and there is the X60 project. But I still think that for 60% this is just overkill.

Return to “Gallery”