(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M (aka.. the Mara)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 Jul 2016, 17:49

Ha ha, awesome!

lot_lizard

22 Jul 2016, 20:16

The first 135 lbs. of Model F salvage boards in hand. Thanks again Cindy. Let the fun times commence. Still waiting for exact numbers of what will be on the palette from Cindy's contact (one big freight shipment), but getting closer on that end.
Packages
Packages
image.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 5336 times
Inventoried
Inventoried
image.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5305 times
Waiting for their big day
Waiting for their big day
image.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5304 times

dokyun

22 Jul 2016, 22:58

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Jul 2016, 23:03

:shock: :shock: :o :o :o !!!

I thought they ran out of these years ago!

pyrelink

22 Jul 2016, 23:43

dokyun wrote: Someone say cases?

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1394942
Just ordered one. Looks like I am getting an FEXT too!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Jul 2016, 23:49

I don't think I've ever seen that many "blue switch" 3104/3178 F's in one picture. Impressive haul.

I did not know Unicomp still sold those either?!? For 30 bucks I can recomend them: :evilgeek:
Spoiler:
IMGP3377.JPG
IMGP3377.JPG (955.38 KiB) Viewed 5245 times

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Jul 2016, 00:04

Just snagged one. Now I can have an industrial without paying that horrendous premium.

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 00:06

Exactly, just pop any nice Model M in there. If you need a indy badge I still got some. I always liked the blue label though.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 00:11

Ordered. Thanks for the tip, dokyun.

Seebart, is that a badge from the recent group buy? I missed out on that one, and until today I didn't really mind since I figured I'd never have an industrial case to put it on! :?

I'll send you a PM
Last edited by Techno Trousers on 23 Jul 2016, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

lot_lizard

23 Jul 2016, 00:12

Excellent find. Let me ask this, do you want to just make this an option to save you quite a bit on shipping? Unicomp shipping rates aren't the best (especially overseas). I could have them sent here in bulk, and just put the plates and PCB inside of when packaging. That is assuming they are mass producing these now

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 00:19

Protip for you guys placing orders (or for a mass order). Don't forget to buy an LED overlay too, if you need it!

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Jul 2016, 00:19

They aren't producing them. This batch is leftover from '95, and they don't list their inventory numbers.
Code: 1394942
Price: $30.00
Quantity in Basket: None
Warehouse Liquidations
- All sales final
- Mfg 1995
- New
- Original Model M Part
- Made from PVC

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 00:22

Too funny--their liquidation page also has the original cable retainers. $5 for 2 is pretty pricey, but it's the kind of thing that when you need it, you REALLY need it.

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Jul 2016, 00:22

I couldn't resist, picked one up with LED overlay too. :oops:

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 00:26

Ah Techno Trousers is going all the way with the cable retainers, very good. :lol:

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 00:31

seebart wrote: Ah Techno Trousers is going all the way with the cable retainers, very good. :lol:
Not quite--I mailed an example of one of those to lot_lizard so he can measure it and have a more specific one specially printed to fit our custom controller needs (USB-B connector). Hopefully we'll end up with a really nice and flush connector point at the back of our cases when all is said and done.

I just thought it was funny that they are selling them. They never did respond to the support ticket I opened last weekend asking if they had any of these.

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 00:40

From what I have read here over the years Unicomp is quite the lamely company. They had a SSK project in the pipes for a while, I guess that's dead too.

keyboards-f2/a-proposal-for-a-new-ssk-t ... comp%20ssk

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Jul 2016, 00:44

Techno Trousers wrote:
seebart wrote: Ah Techno Trousers is going all the way with the cable retainers, very good. :lol:
Not quite--I mailed an example of one of those to lot_lizard so he can measure it and have a more specific one specially printed to fit our custom controller needs (USB-B connector). Hopefully we'll end up with a really nice and flush connector point at the back of our cases when all is said and done.

I just thought it was funny that they are selling them. They never did respond to the support ticket I opened last weekend asking if they had any of these.
Maybe they read your ticket and on a whim decided to check their warehouse--only to find this batch of industrial cases (and also the cable retainers)! ;)

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 00:51

With Unicomp even that would not suprise me. I wonder if they got IBM's Model M production tooling and dead stock back in the day? Probably not.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 00:57

seebart wrote: With Unicomp even that would not suprise me. I wonder if they got IBM's Model M production tooling and dead stock back in the day? Probably not.
They did, actually. When Lexmark gave up producing buckling spring keyboards for IBM, Unicomp bought a lot of leftover stock and tooling (but not the tooling to produce SSKs, sadly).

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Jul 2016, 01:02

How on earth they somehow procured the molds for the Japanese IBM Trackpoint II (now the Unicomp Endurapro/Ultra Classic) and not the SSK molds is something I will never understand.. :x

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 01:05

lot_lizard wrote:

Excellent find. Let me ask this, do you want to just make this an option to save you quite a bit on shipping? Unicomp shipping rates aren't the best (especially overseas). I could have them sent here in bulk, and just put the plates and PCB inside of when packaging. That is assuming they are mass producing these now
If you do get some I will place my order with you for a indy FEXT!

lot_lizard

23 Jul 2016, 01:20

seebart wrote: If you do get some I will place my order with you for a indy FEXT!
For shits and giggles, I'll put in an order for 10. Not trying to cheat anyone out of them (you are welcome to all 10), but if they do actually fill my order, I'll package up first come first serve. Seebart has 1 of 10

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 01:23

No I just need one. But the full FEXT magic in the indy case. That's boss. :maverick:

lot_lizard

23 Jul 2016, 01:29

seebart wrote: No I just need one. But the full FEXT magic in the indy case. That's boss. :maverick:
Sorry if I miscommunicated. I ordered 10, if they come in, you have spoken for the first to be shipped with everything else (I'll just hold til then). If whatever reason you decide against later, just let me know. Someone will want I expect. 9 of 10 would still be available.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Jul 2016, 02:13

lot_lizard wrote:
For shits and giggles, I'll put in an order for 10.
Glad I got in for 1 ahead of you.

They will probably be surprised when they come in Monday morning and find this flurry of orders late on Friday afternoon.

lot_lizard

23 Jul 2016, 02:44

fohat wrote: Glad I got in for 1 ahead of you.

They will probably be surprised when they come in Monday morning and find this flurry of orders late on Friday afternoon.
I agree... This is probably the most action they've had in months. And just to make sure everyone is clear, I'm not wanting any of the ones I ordered. I just picked up so you guys could save shipping later if interested (10+ bucks). As Seebart said, they are a perfect fit for what we are doing, and wanted to grab a few before GeekHack caught wind.

giokkk

23 Jul 2016, 08:55

lot_lizard wrote:
seebart wrote: If you do get some I will place my order with you for a indy FEXT!
For shits and giggles, I'll put in an order for 10. Not trying to cheat anyone out of them (you are welcome to all 10), but if they do actually fill my order, I'll package up first come first serve. Seebart has 1 of 10
Hello lot_lizard,
count me in for one (if possible with the LED overlay included) ! ;)

lot_lizard

23 Jul 2016, 10:52

giokkk wrote:
lot_lizard wrote: For shits and giggles, I'll put in an order for 10. Not trying to cheat anyone out of them (you are welcome to all 10), but if they do actually fill my order, I'll package up first come first serve. Seebart has 1 of 10
Hello lot_lizard,
count me in for one (if possible with the LED overlay included) ! ;)
Sounds good. The price was $34.71 each (with LED cover and shipping included). The following is the "spoken for" list (assuming my Unicomp order is actually filed):
  • Seebart
  • need
  • giokkk
  • chzel
  • Colnor
  • drevyek
EDIT: I noticed we mentioned earlier about "missing out" on the WCass/Seebart badge. For sure we are going to have another run of those with Phase 1 btw (both for SSK and full size ovals).
Last edited by lot_lizard on 25 Jul 2016, 00:29, edited 2 times in total.

chzel

23 Jul 2016, 11:46

In for a case + overlay!

Return to “Workshop”