Lexmark M13 with DIN and serial connector: how do I cable/convert it?

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Oct 2016, 16:17

I just picked this up from elecplus' stock and I'm trying to figure out the wiring. I'll pull it apart later to get some photographs of the internals, but in the meantime I'm looking for speculation.

My primary concern at the moment is whether the trackpoint has a combo mouse feature set (serial + PS/2) or not. Is there an easy way to determine that without buying a PS/2 to serial converter and plugging the possibly dangerous combination into something?

If it has a combo feature set I plan to buy a black "Y" cable from Unicomp, strip the modular end, and use a twin converter.

Alternately, is there a microcontroller based converter that will handle the mouse and keyboard simultaneously?

Finally, do any of you know of a USB "Y" cable that has dual data lines that can be purchased separately from a keyboard? That would allow me to use two microcontrollers (one for serial mouse to USB, one for keyboard conversion), in the worst case scenario, to handle output.

elecplus

20 Oct 2016, 20:21

Since the pointer is tested working on the 9-pin serial, a serial to USB converter will work for that. An Orihalcon PS/2 to USB will work for the keyboard. This does take up 2 USB slots, but it works.

elecplus

20 Oct 2016, 20:22

Sorry, I tested it with an Orihalcon DIN to USB cable.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Oct 2016, 21:06

No worries. I do plan to replace the cable, as it really detracts from the keyboard's aesthetic value. I'm trying to avoid using two separate cables, which is why I'm grappling with this.

y11971alex

20 Oct 2016, 21:25

Is this a Model M in Lexmark livery or another type of keyboard?

elecplus

20 Oct 2016, 21:50

It is a model M buckling spring.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Oct 2016, 22:48

Yep yep. It's from when Lexmark modified their tooling for square labels. GTSI and Dell also took advantage of that design.

I think the square labels look particularly nice. They match the LED sticker.

Return to “Keyboards”