What layout do you use?

face

02 Aug 2016, 19:54

I switched to a HHKB and really like the layout. The backspace position is great - although you have to get a bit training if you are using other keyboard to, to not just hit enter when trying to correct a error. Especially annoying while using text messengers. I trained myself to use my little finger for backspace on the HHKB and the ring finger on every other keyboard.

The fn position could be better too. Hitting delete is a pain in the a** when you set the dip switch for normal backspace, but since I use OS X that isn't much of a problem - like in many *nix systems you can use control for a lot of stuff. E.g. control+d for forward delete, C-a for going to the beginning of a line and so on - which leads me to my next point: the control position is really great!

I am using the german layout on the HHKB and it works well. Just remapped the \ since I need that very often in LaTeX. I think it would be much more of a hazzle on a windows system, but since I use windows only to watch movies and do CAD on my desktop work station, that's not much of a problem. I just live with the disadvantages there.

All in all, I really appreciate the layout.

ideus

03 Aug 2016, 01:48

I use the HHKB layout on my Nerd 60's; but, I use Space-FN instead of the regular position for FN of the HHKB, it works well and, as you said, the backspace position, right over the Enter key rocks. I do not use the diamond layout for the arrows, either, instead, I use IJKL, but, all in all it is a great layout.

face

03 Aug 2016, 09:04

I used to use IJKL for arrow keys too, until I discovered the features of the OS. C-k deletes the whole line after the cursor, but is intelligent, it also deletes a whole sentence. So C-ak is super useful - jump on first letter of the line and delete the whole line. Which works system-wide, unlike vim or emacs.

The "arrow keys" are FBNP then. With another keyboard it wouldn't be that great, but since the control position is so comfy here... but yeah, fn at another place would have been a better choice.

Mal-2

22 Oct 2016, 10:43

Latest update (this has been stable for quite a while):

Thumper
knock knock

22 Oct 2016, 14:25

Nothing special. top row is F1-12, Arrows are music control (vol up, dn, skip, prev), Bild up, dn are LED settings.

codemonkeymike

26 Oct 2016, 18:08

I switched to colemak about 8 months ago and never looked back. Using the Input.club Ergodox made it pretty easy to switch and be able to use it without fiddling around with the computers layout options. Other things that helped with my typing, having space, shift, nav layer toggle, symbol layer toggle, ctrl, and command on my thumb clusters. The only things my pinkies have to reach for are ", /,z ,q, and tab. So I haven't had any finger or wrist problems since.

Return to “Keyboards”