OMG, a truck load of IBM Model Ms...

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 03:40

Almost 200 pieces says the owner; this is by far the largest single batch I've ever known. Where do these guys find them I really want to know.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 16 Dec 2016, 04:05, edited 2 times in total.

y11971alex

16 Dec 2016, 03:43

Mr.Nobody wrote: Almost 200 pieces says the owner; this is by far the largest single batch I've ever know. Where do these guys find them I really want to know.

These were manufactured in the millions. When a large batch was retired from offices, they were often delivered to suppliers en masse.

ideus

16 Dec 2016, 03:45

Fix the image links, they are broken.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 03:48

ideus wrote: Fix the image links, they are broken.
they are not from my side , anybody else has problems viewing the pictures ?

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 03:49

I think even Clickykeyboard couldn't get a single batch as large as this, as far as I know his largest single batch is 50+ pieces.

emdude
Model M Apologist

16 Dec 2016, 03:50

I cannot view them either.

Mattr567

16 Dec 2016, 04:03

Same. Want to see all the Model M's!

Upload to imgur or something.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 04:05

Fixed

Mattr567

16 Dec 2016, 04:10

Holy fucking shit... :o

Any SSK's?
Last edited by Mattr567 on 16 Dec 2016, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

16 Dec 2016, 04:11

#DTA7 :p

So who are these people, where did they find them, and what are they going to do with them?

emdude
Model M Apologist

16 Dec 2016, 04:11

Thanks for fixing the images. Wow, I say a Model M for everyone!

Mattr567

16 Dec 2016, 04:14

If we went by clickykeyboards prices these would be valued well over $20,000 @ $100 a piece, and that's a low estimate.

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2016, 04:18

Whoever buys them: any full kits of single piece caps? I could use an upgrade…

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Dec 2016, 04:29

A (pickup) truck load of Model Ms is about 250-300 boards.

vendors-f52/keypocalypse-electronics-pl ... ml#p229366

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Dec 2016, 04:31

Thank God someone didn't find this a month ago ;)

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 04:48

Mattr567 wrote: Holy fucking shit... :o

Any SSK's?
I am seeking for a good deal of SSK , pity , they don't have any.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 04:56

Chyros wrote: #DTA7 :p

So who are these people, where did they find them, and what are they going to do with them?
I believe they are professional E-waste scrappers or recyclers, E-waste wholesalers probably. Maybe they "imported" them via their shady trade channel. If I hadn't told them the worth of Model M, I think these Ms would have ended up in shredders at some disposal plant.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 04:58

emdude wrote: Thanks for fixing the images. Wow, I say a Model M for everyone!

I'd say a cable for every Model M. Most of them don't come with cables......Anyone knows where to get cables for Ms without been overcharged please tell me .

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 05:01

Muirium wrote: Whoever buys them: any full kits of single piece caps? I could use an upgrade…
Good luck! I think they are not hard to find.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 05:03

XMIT wrote: A (pickup) truck load of Model Ms is about 250-300 boards.

vendors-f52/keypocalypse-electronics-pl ... ml#p229366
Maybe the guy who talked with me just got a portion of that truckload.Holy......I am too far away, otherwise I'd have gone over and picked some up myself.
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 16 Dec 2016, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 05:05

snuci wrote: Thank God someone didn't find this a month ago ;)
Any story ? Please elaborate.

Harshmallow

16 Dec 2016, 07:02

I definitely need one of these in my life. I currently only have a new 1996 UK version.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Dec 2016, 10:40

Mr.Nobody wrote:
results-f102/best-vintage-keyboard-or-c ... hilit=dta6

Without sounding like a jaded ahole I can say I'm all set with M's:
Spoiler:
IMGP4249.JPG
IMGP4249.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 5202 times

micrex22

16 Dec 2016, 10:59

seebart wrote: Without sounding like a jaded ahole I can say I'm all set with M's:
Spoiler:
IMGP4249.JPG
But monsieur, where is the black M13?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Dec 2016, 12:00

micrex22 wrote:
seebart wrote: Without sounding like a jaded ahole I can say I'm all set with M's:
Spoiler:
IMGP4249.JPG
But monsieur, where is the black M13?
Don't like it don't need it. To be honest IBM wise I prefer my Model F's.

wiki/Seebart

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 12:14

seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote:

Without sounding like a jaded ahole I can say I'm all set with M's:
I see , 200+ Ms would be half a year's workload even for Clickykeyboard...This month I accomplished a little humble rescue mission myself :

I bought this M with 75 Yuan($12.5) Cleaned it up(really filthy ,covered with some kind of dried up oil , hours of manual work) , turned the yellow badge back into white , and repainted it. The most difficult part is rearranging all inner keycaps to make them all crispy again , some keycaps were simply won't produce clicky sound at some position but at other position they would be perfectly okay , eventually every keycap found its RIGHT position.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Dec 2016, 12:45

Mr.Nobody wrote:
seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Any story ? Please elaborate.
I see , 200+ Ms would be half a year's workload even for Clickykeyboard...
Yes, seebart got it. I actually find it quite relaxing doing the mind work of cleaning keyboards and restoring items. It took me about two weeks to clean them all so this would be at least 10 times that amount.
Mr.Nobody wrote: This month I accomplished a little humble rescue mission myself
Nicely done!
Mr.Nobody wrote: The most difficult part is rearranging all inner keycaps to make them all crispy again , some keycaps were simply won't produce clicky sound at some position but at other position they would be perfectly okay , eventually every keycap found its RIGHT position.
I find that if you place them in location, turn the key caps 5 degrees clockwise and tap them in with one strong tap, the key caps will all click properly about 98% of the time. With 20 keyboards in that find, I learned that quickly. I also now know the order of Model M key caps without looking at another one now too :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2016, 13:18

that reminds me that I need ANSI keycaps for my SSK...

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 13:43

[/quote]I find that if you place them in location, turn the key caps 5 degrees clockwise and tap them in with one strong tap, the key caps will all click properly about 98% of the time. With 20 keyboards in that find, I learned that quickly. I also now know the order of Model M key caps without looking at another one now too :)[/quote]

Thanks for the tip , Yes after several restoration missions , I can remember the layout too , at first I was surprised by the fact that I made mistakes putting keycaps back(Gee , after two decades of typing everyday ) If I couldn't remember their locations perfectly , how would I have been typing correctly for all these years ? Which is really a mystery to me...

Mr.Nobody

16 Dec 2016, 13:54

Harshmallow wrote: I definitely need one of these in my life. I currently only have a new 1996 UK version.
I have a grey lable one(1989) and a blue lable one(1992) sharing one piece of coiled SDL cable .

Return to “Keyboards”