Another Displaywriter thread

just_add_coffee

08 Aug 2017, 07:54

Before:

After:
I wasn't expecting the dishwasher to get it as clean as it did.

Afterer:
The rectangle where the IBM card had gone will become a dry-erase board for jotting down quick notes and reminders.

Without the top of the case:

Without the case at all:
I may end up using it like this.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Aug 2017, 10:59

Wow, you really have a thing for customizing your keyboards. The colors alone are wild, and that ON/OFF switch. :o :shock: This is like the hot rod of Displaywriters. :mrgreen:

nsmechkb

08 Aug 2017, 14:24

I really like it! Boards like this are super fun to use and have so much hype surrounding them; the exciting colors you've chosen match that character excellently to my eye. Could totally see doing something similar someday, and coordinating my whole setup around the board.

Great work!

JP!

08 Aug 2017, 14:46

Nice work! So yours is now the blue whale instead of a white whale. What is the toggle switch used for? It to be connected to the solenoid driver in some fashion. Also how well does that foam work as a contamination shield? Does it interfere while typing?

just_add_coffee

08 Aug 2017, 15:05

JP! wrote: What is the toggle switch used for? It to be connected to the solenoid driver in some fashion.
Oops. I should've said that. Yes, that delightfully obnoxious toggle switch controls power going to the solenoid.
Also how well does that foam work as a contamination shield? Does it interfere while typing?
I've had to go back and enlarge the holes here and there, but now it doesn't interfere while typing. Unfortunately, it also really isn't visible with the case on because of the height of beamspring switches.

orihalcon

12 Aug 2017, 00:12

Definitely like the solenoid switch too! As an FYI to others, you can also map one of your keys to enable or disable the expansion port which in this case would disable the solenoid :)

Looks like you got the spacebar figured out? Perhaps I don't need to make a video on how it goes together lol. Did you end up adding the original stabilizers back in for the spacebar?

12 Aug 2017, 02:26

Very true. I used the solenoid on / off key from an IBM 3178 board for the solenoid on my 4704.

just_add_coffee

19 Aug 2017, 18:08

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your post until just now.
orihalcon wrote: As an FYI to others, you can also map one of your keys to enable or disable the expansion port which in this case would disable the solenoid :)
How do you do that? I'm looking at the capsense gui again and I'm not seeing it. While I like my obnoxious toggle switch on the Displaywriter, I'd rather turn the solenoid on/off via a key on my F122.

Looks like you got the spacebar figured out? Perhaps I don't need to make a video on how it goes together lol. Did you end up adding the original stabilizers back in for the spacebar?
I'm experimenting with the polyclay and epoxy filler I had mentioned earlier. But for the next Displaywriter, I want to keep it more original and so I need to learn how to do it right.

20 Aug 2017, 02:49

I don'r recall what the value was, but in the key matrix, it is one of the options in the scancode drop down.

orihalcon

20 Aug 2017, 05:24

Yep, it's right near the top of the drop down menu when programming a key, it's called EXP Toggle. This is short for expansion port toggle, and since we are using the expansion port for a solenoid, it's perfect to turn it on and off! So same key can be used to switch on and off, or you could put it in a function layer if you don't want to use up one of your base layer keys.

just_add_coffee

20 Aug 2017, 07:36

orihalcon wrote: Yep, it's right near the top of the drop down menu when programming a key, it's called EXP Toggle. This is short for expansion port toggle, and since we are using the expansion port for a solenoid, it's perfect to turn it on and off! So same key can be used to switch on and off, or you could put it in a function layer if you don't want to use up one of your base layer keys.
My wife and neighbors are very appreciative of this! :lol:

(I learned something, so I'm appreciative also. Thank you!)

Return to “Workshop”