Keyboard error sound in Windows 10 when stimulating invalid matrix pos

THX1138b

05 Oct 2017, 20:50

I wanted to add some keys to my PS/2 keyboard. The controller has eight rows and 16 columns but the keyboard has 102 or 103 buttons (not sure) so that leaves 20-something matrix positions unaccounted for. I used a breadboard jumper wire to connect the rows and columns in sequence and found five usable vacant matrix positions. I also found a lot of whatever this is; some kind of error? It's what I came to ask about. Does anyone recognise this sound? When I make a quick contact with the jumper wire, I get two beeps but if I hold it down for longer, I can get a bunch of beeps. The sound comes from my proper speakers, not the motherboard piezo thing. Please disregard the image in the below video; it's just what happened to be on my screen when recording the sound. Is the keyboard in distress when I do this or what? Does any other situation cause this sound?

I'm using Windows 10.
Edit: why isn't the YouTube embed working? Here's a link instead: https://youtu.be/zvTZgzK3jTE
Last edited by THX1138b on 06 Oct 2017, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Oct 2017, 21:38

To embed, you only use the video ID inside the tags(here, zvTZgzK3jTE). The forum software could definitely be more intelligent about it.

What you need is Switch Hitter — this will indicate what the keyboard is doing.

THX1138b

06 Oct 2017, 20:28

Thanks. I was using a different (and way more basic) scancode capture software but neither software reports anything for the particular matrix positions which generate this error or sound.

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Oct 2017, 21:12

I guess there's also the possibility that those matrix positions are undefined and the keyboard is emitting nonsense.

USB HID is weird: a faulty mouse can emulate a keyboard and presumably vice versa. Who knows what your keyboard is doing if it's being given undefined requests.

THX1138b

06 Oct 2017, 21:32

In my case it's a PS/2 keyboard. I'll try it on an older machine I have running Linux and see how that responds. I'm just curious about that nonsense that the keyboard is emitting!

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Oct 2017, 21:39

oh yeah, so you said ... I'll use the excuse that it's Friday :P

Return to “Keyboards”