'Tis the season

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Nov 2017, 06:22

Hello once again, DT community!

I've been on a zenith kick recently, fixing up a ZKB-2 with SKCM undampened creams and a 163-73 with click modded yellows. Today, I fixed up my ZKB-2R! One of two usable SKCL green boards that I own - the other being an SGI granite that I transplanted some SKCL greens into. Hilariously, I think SKCL green is my most owned switch, but all the other boards that have them are terminal and can't be used (IBM multistation, several Zenith z-150s with XT protocol, and about 82 loose switches). Normally, I like transplanting other alps switches that are non-native to the board to give the build a unique deviation from stock built vintage boards, but this time I kept the switches green! I did change the caps though, but they are still in the Zenith Family.

First, the plate was slightly rusted, so I went with sanding and painting the plate - pretty standard procedure for my restorations these days.

I need a better system for sanding plates, though. Right now, I just go to town on the plate with 100 grit sandpaper and switch to 180 grit before I wet sand it with 1200 and 2000 grit to polish it off a little. I could take all the plates I paint to my local sand-blasting guy, but the last time I was there I got the sense that my small-scale projects are a waste of his time =/ ... Anyway, after sanding I hit it with some Metalcast ground coat and then an anodized red color. I have to give a shoutout to @E3Eves for the paint color on this one - had he not just recently painted his realforce with this exact paint color, I would have ended up painting mine a glossy red. I really like the anodized effect here though - thanks again, E3E!

Next I put the switches back in. I have to come clean here though, the SKCL green switches I soldered in are actually from a z-150. The z-150 had black switchplates, which (even though no one can see them) I thought was SUPER cool, so I used those instead. Of course, a z-150 doesn't have enough SKCL green to fill out a ZKB-2R, so I did have to use some of the original switches in the F row and a few other places.

I really went for the christmas vibe with this look! However...there was one other factor that made me want to paint the plate red....

I had recently acquired a few red logo boards. I have one more that I have another project for in mind as well...later on down the road. They look pretty awesome though!

Next came the case - easy decision for me though, as anyone who knows the kind of restorations I've done probably could have guessed, I went with industrial grey!

Last was cap choice, but I went ahead and used the caps from my Zenith 163-73 for it - you just can't beat PBT caps on linear switches, in my opinion at least =)

Overall I'm SUPER happy with this keyboard. SKCL green feel awesome and have such a cool pingy noise which this metal-based case make sound super neat.

Here are a few more pics of the board on my counter-top!

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed! Looking forward to the next build I can share with you all!

またね。

//gains.

Polecat

21 Nov 2017, 06:39

Sweet. Nice work, and thanks for sharing!

E3E

21 Nov 2017, 06:58

Hey gains, this does have a really Christmasy vibe, haha. That's a great title. It really looks fantastic, and all the red really goes with everything, the grey, the caps. It's lovely man. Great work.

Chyros

21 Nov 2017, 07:11

Haha, oh wow, that is seriously cool xD . Glad to see those cool red badges are being put to good use :D .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Nov 2017, 08:47

Brillaint, best looking Zenith so far. Those green Alps on that red and the red badge...WOW. More material for my desktop rotation!

JP!

21 Nov 2017, 14:31

That is sweet!

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2017, 16:20

Oh my , that is awsome!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 18:53

hawt

codemonkeymike

22 Nov 2017, 19:07

I am super jelly.

Chyros

22 Nov 2017, 19:09

I wonder how that would look with red Dolch xD .

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Nov 2017, 03:12

Chyros wrote: I wonder how that would look with red Dolch xD .
Don't give him any ideas! :twisted:

andrewjoy

23 Nov 2017, 15:49

mike52787 wrote:

I am pretty sure you can get modern clones of Dolch , even in alps mount.

But in reality round 8 needs alps mount !!!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Nov 2017, 15:57

andrewjoy wrote:
mike52787 wrote:

I am pretty sure you can get modern clones of Dolch , even in alps mount.

But in reality round 8 needs alps mount !!!
However... you will never really be able to properly install a modern alps dolch set on that zenith. the whole bottom row, and most of the right hand mods will be unusable

andrewjoy

23 Nov 2017, 15:59

They will fit on my filco zero tho :)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Nov 2017, 22:59

mike52787 wrote:
Hmmmmmm... HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I should take some photos of the board in low light - might look pretty cool!

Return to “Gallery”