Laser projection keyboard review

Chyros

02 Dec 2017, 12:42

Hope you have as much fun watching it as I had making this one ;) .
Don't worry, next week it's back to keyboards that are actually functional ;) .

Starck

02 Dec 2017, 12:44

Great typing demonstration at the end. :D

I could read the word: when.
Last edited by Starck on 02 Dec 2017, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

02 Dec 2017, 13:12

My stitches! I completely lost it at the last of the alternative surfaces you tried that monstrosity on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

depletedvespene

02 Dec 2017, 13:19

You missed a chance, right before the typing demo, of saying instead of "Do not try this at home.", "Do not try this at home, or at the office, or anywhere else for that matter." :-D

depletedvespene

02 Dec 2017, 13:42

Great review!

There is one aspect of these "keyboards" that you didn't dwell on — one that I immediately spotted back in 2004 (along with the serious defect of having to type on wood or glass), when they started selling them, marketed as "the future of typing".

The units back then (... and I would assume that now as well — I don't care to research the modern models) came with just the one layout to project. Why? It would have been trivial to include several national layouts, user selectable, to be projected within the exact same grid, or even to have different layers, akin to what users of <=60% keyboards are familiar with.

Heck, with a bit of more effort, those projectors could have been reprogrammable, to allow the user to define entirely new layouts, whether within the same basic preprogrammed grid (or grids) or some entirely user-defined one (how about hexagonal "keys" instead of square? Or larger squares for guys with thicker fingers, like mine?).

Chyros

02 Dec 2017, 17:17

depletedvespene wrote: You missed a chance, right before the typing demo, of saying instead of "Do not try this at home.", "Do not try this at home, or at the office, or anywhere else for that matter." :-D
That quote is a reference ;) .

Chyros

02 Dec 2017, 17:18

depletedvespene wrote: Great review!

There is one aspect of these "keyboards" that you didn't dwell on — one that I immediately spotted back in 2004 (along with the serious defect of having to type on wood or glass), when they started selling them, marketed as "the future of typing".

The units back then (... and I would assume that now as well — I don't care to research the modern models) came with just the one layout to project. Why? It would have been trivial to include several national layouts, user selectable, to be projected within the exact same grid, or even to have different layers, akin to what users of <=60% keyboards are familiar with.

Heck, with a bit of more effort, those projectors could have been reprogrammable, to allow the user to define entirely new layouts, whether within the same basic preprogrammed grid (or grids) or some entirely user-defined one (how about hexagonal "keys" instead of square? Or larger squares for guys with thicker fingers, like mine?).
Doesn't really matter what layout you program into it tbh, none of them will work anyway :lol: .

Engicoder

02 Dec 2017, 17:39

Chyros wrote: Doesn't really matter what layout you program into it tbh, none of them will work anyway :lol: .
Maybe 1 giant key? Eh...it would probably find a way to screw that up too.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

02 Dec 2017, 20:51

This review was genuinely hilarious. Love it!

Laser
emacs -nw

02 Dec 2017, 20:56

Phew, for a minute reading the title I thought it was about me projecting stuff about keyboards :D

JP!

03 Dec 2017, 04:47

Worst sandwich ever :lol:

IKSLM

03 Dec 2017, 09:39

Peanut butter and octopus? Really? :D

AuthenticDanger

03 Dec 2017, 22:56

I feel bad for people who get these as a gift for their loved ones :(

Cattus_D

04 Dec 2017, 21:55

Haha, excellent - thanks!

Ibleic

05 Dec 2017, 04:31

Amazing! The practice sentence brought the whole thing home

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

06 Dec 2017, 21:59

Nobody's asked yet, so I'm gonna: Chyros, I hope you kept faith to your habit and used only this keyboard for a full week prior to the review. Did you?

Chyros

06 Dec 2017, 22:07

DustGod wrote: Nobody's asked yet, so I'm gonna: Chyros, I hope you kept faith to your habit and used only this keyboard for a full week prior to the review. Did you?
I was hoping no-one would ask that :p .

I tried it for two afternoons, then I was so sick of it that I ragequit xD .

Slom

06 Dec 2017, 22:16

That must have been super frustrating. And you couldn't even smash the keyboard :evilgeek:

Khers

06 Dec 2017, 22:28

Chyros wrote:
DustGod wrote: Nobody's asked yet, so I'm gonna: Chyros, I hope you kept faith to your habit and used only this keyboard for a full week prior to the review. Did you?
I was hoping no-one would ask that :p .

I tried it for two afternoons, then I was so sick of it that I ragequit xD .
I want a video of said rage quit!

Darkshado

12 Dec 2017, 07:14

Touchscreen keyboards should actually feel insulted to be compared to that: they have haptic feedback, swiping, word prediction, autocorrect (not a fan), multiple layout support, etc.

TuxKey
LLAP

18 Dec 2017, 22:46

hahaha your killing me oefff i'm so happy i never bought that piece of shit. i do remember seeing it ages ago.
And thinking cool idea could be nice for a kiosk or something like that.
seems to be a bigger piece of shit then ever thought possible..

ahh i'm so happy to be typing on my nice topre FC660C..
After watching this i thought what would be the cheapest US layout keyboard one could by in The Netherlands so hoped on the tweakers size..seems to be something called Gembird KB-U-103 for €4,26 +€4 shipping ahahha

Return to “Reviews”